The NHL's labour talks will resume this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Peter Maher said on the FAN 960 this morning that the rumour is that the NHL's offer will include increased revenue sharing, as well as a cap/luxury tax combination. Something like a hard cap at $50 million, with penalties for going over $40 million (money, draft picks). The minimum would be $35 million or something like that.

I thought he mentioned something about "revenue sharing for players", but I had just woken up and was still a bit groggy, so it might just be something I imagined.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Seachd said:
Peter Maher said on the FAN 960 this morning that the rumour is that the NHL's offer will include increased revenue sharing, as well as a cap/luxury tax combination. Something like a hard cap at $50 million, with penalties for going over $40 million (money, draft picks). The minimum would be $35 million or something like that.

I thought he mentioned something about "revenue sharing for players", but I had just woken up and was still a bit groggy, so it might just be something I imagined.

A cap is revenue sharing for players. The mechanism guarantees a certain percentage of revenue to the players.

Go Flames Go*

Gary Bettman is bringing in his NBA style of CBA and I think it was his goal all along. He was just trying to extract as much as he could.

The soft cap with a tie to revenues.

Its on the players now the NHL has comprimised met in the middle so if they cry and ***** about this offer if it is true then there just greedy. Look at the NBA there are outrageous salaries.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
CarlRacki said:
A cap is revenue sharing for players. The mechanism guarantees a certain percentage of revenue to the players.
Yes, but obviously, that's not what he was talking about (if he was talking about it at all).

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
no13matssundin said:
The Score is reporting that the meetings are on for Wednesday in Toronto.

Thanks for the update. Dunno why but I was thinking that due to the talks from last week having gone quite a bit better withought Bettman and Goodenow present, that the two of them might be left out of the proceedings once again...ya think?.

I'm not saying that both Bettman and Goodenow won't possibly...check that, likely be by speaker phones listening to every word spoken and adding in their two cents. But from a publicity standpoint, so as to not give off the impression to the media that "something big is about to occur", I gotta feeling they won't be present at the meetings. I mean its really no big deal that they aren't there as most of the time in the baseball negotiations and football ones I've seen in my lifetime, it is the lieutenents who are normally the folks who get down and dirty and into the nitty gritty of the negotiations. Whereas Bettman and Goodenow are simply the figureheads who though they obviously have clout and can influence the process, it is not those two who are involved in the heavy negotiations but in fact their underlings like the Saskins,Dalys,Lindens and Hotchkisses.

Anyone else feel this was as well that Bettman and Goody won't be there either...eh? And would it make you feel differently even if they were in attendance publicly?

-Max

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Seachd said:

I think in there, the deal lies

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
sade said:

Hmmmm.....sounds as if he's onto something or his "source" is as this rumour actually does make sense as a basis for a deal. Now obviously I dunno for 100% sure if he's full of it. But one has to admit, either this dude has a heck of an imagination or maybe, just maybe, there is a bit of truth to what he speaks about.

Either way one looks at what Eklund writes about, I find it very entertaining. So keep on keeping on Ek as I think your going to end up being right when its all said and done.....hehe

-Max

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Max, regarding Eklund's source's info, it appears to be a bigger concession on the league's part than I would've imagined. Interesting. If (and that's a huge IF) the new proposal even remotely resembles this, then the players better sign before the owners change their minds.

Should a deal like this one be agreed upon, apparently the key to the whole structure would be controlling the income of each team's second through sixth most expensive player.

However, in order to avoid another turbulent period when this hypothetical CBA would expire, the league had better set its sights on making the on-ice product more entertaining, showcasing its stars, and building the national TV audience while holding off on expansion into untested markets until the existing ones are on a more solid footing. Because if they don't do something about the product now, then the owners will only blame the system again when this hypothetical CBA expires.

Go Flames Go*

There is going to be the same payroll ranges number as the soft cap, then exceptions for going over it, then if salaries take up 60% of league revenues then the tax kicks in on teams over 60% at 100%, and a hard cap $55 Million dollars.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Hockeyfan02 said:
If theyre open minded then yes they can compromise. If they continue to act like 5 year olds and want it their way or the high way then this season is done.
Agreed, no middle ground can be found if neither side wants to look. I dont have a clue what that would be but common sence tells a person that middle ground has to be there.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
hockeymistress said:
Does anyone worry that the owners are so prepared to lose the season already, they will stick to an offer they know is just unreasonable enough that the players will not concede? Doing this for the purpose of making a point, making them suffer even longer so they will come back next season and be willing to accept just about anything?
I worry about that as well, the Owners have all the time in the world in this thing, their hockey teams ae mere toys for them expensive toys but still toys. They can afford to wait.

Sammy*

c-carp said:
Agreed, no middle ground can be found if neither side wants to look. I dont have a clue what that would be but common sence tells a person that middle ground has to be there.
Problem is, what exactly is middle ground? If its somewhere in the middle of what the players had & a salary cap, middle ground doesnt do it cause the previous system was seriously skewed to the players & big market teams.
Hopefully by middle ground you mean somwhere in between what the players have thus far been prepared to live with & a real hard cap with low thresholds.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
jratelle19 said:
Interesting hypothesis. I wouldn't put it past the owners, due to the bad blood between both sides. However, if both sides are that close and the season can be saved, I can't see the owners willing to give up the playoff revenues for this season in order to make that point to the players. They would be cutting off their nose to spite their face, in my opinion. Then again, the owners haven't shown much intelligence in hockey matters for the last 10 years. What makes me think that they're going to start now?! :dunno:
Very good point, The Owners as a group for sucessful people sure run their teams horrible for the most part.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
jratelle19 said:
Max, regarding Eklund's source's info, it appears to be a bigger concession on the league's part than I would've imagined. Interesting. If (and that's a huge IF) the new proposal even remotely resembles this, then the players better sign before the owners change their minds.

Should a deal like this one be agreed upon, apparently the key to the whole structure would be controlling the income of each team's second through sixth most expensive player.

However, in order to avoid another turbulent period when this hypothetical CBA would expire, the league had better set its sights on making the on-ice product more entertaining, showcasing its stars, and building the national TV audience while holding off on expansion into untested markets until the existing ones are on a more solid footing. Because if they don't do something about the product now, then the owners will only blame the system again when this hypothetical CBA expires.

Yeah it does seem as if some concessions from the owners that haven't been discussed as all to much of a possibility, would need to occur if these rumours from Eklund are even somewhat accurate. So you are right on point there Ratelle. And like I stated earlier, I don't know if Eklunds posts are total BS or not and quite frankly I don't care as that is not the point.

It gives up something to talk about and if one looks at the things he says, some of it does seem to make sense. Now as far your comments about the NHL needs to have a better on-ice product, one would have to believe that once the agreement takes place, there will be a few major on-ice changes implemented immediatly so as to get the average hockey fan(not the die-hard like you and I or the thousands of other hockeyh nuts who frequent sites like this cause we'll watch the game anyway its played even if we do mutter and complain about all the clutching,holding and trapping...etc) somewhat intrigued and excited.

And so would it suprise you if the NHL implemented some sort of major change like a no center-ice red line for the balance of the year? Or would it suprise you if maybe they implemented shootouts so as to add to the excitment....eh? Maybe they'll widen the nets a tad...I dunno.

Something along those lines. Things like that might help in attracting an audience as it would make the game a bit more attractive to watch for the casual viewer and the die hard like you and I.

No matter how you slice the fact that they are meeting again and what Eklund has talked about in his latest blog, something is clearly going down and its likely IMO going to mean finally some friggin hockey to watch.....can't happen soon enough as no offense guys, I'm sick of coming to the Business side of hockey 90% of the time and neglecting the other great topics here at HF....

-Max

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Seachd said:

Can you pick that Radio Station or any Radio station that is going to cover this more closely up on the internet. If you can I would love to listen there to avoid the ****** coverage of this where I live.

Thanks

Go Flames Go*

c-carp said:
Can you pick that Radio Station or any Radio station that is going to cover this more closely up on the internet. If you can I would love to listen there to avoid the ****** coverage of this where I live.

Thanks

www.fan960.com

Tune in at 5:00 Pm Mountian time to get the hockey show with Petr Mahr and Rob Kerr

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Go Flames Go said:
Gary Bettman is bringing in his NBA style of CBA and I think it was his goal all along. He was just trying to extract as much as he could.

The soft cap with a tie to revenues.

Its on the players now the NHL has comprimised met in the middle so if they cry and ***** about this offer if it is true then there just greedy. Look at the NBA there are outrageous salaries.
This post got me thinking about another question in all of this. I think that Bettman has been a horrible commisioner for the NHL and does he all of a sudden get a pass on all of the bad stuff he has done and get put in a high status because it was on his watch that the Owners decided that they had to get their house in order?

Thoughts

h2

Mar 26, 2002
How do you compromise by the form of a cap? Will one side have to bend more than the other?, if so, which side will it be? :dunno:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Im just wondering, WHO exactly is this Eklund guy? Is he from ANY news station or anything hockey related? Or is he just some random guy like me who could make a website and just post any rumour I felt like.

Go Flames Go*

What I heard from the radio is this.

There has been talks going on and the NHLPA is informed of what is coming. THe NHL is scrambling to try to sell this proposal since it dosent have that 38 million hard cap. Trevor Linden was hard at work over the weekend trying to get things done also.

What he said is that there is going to be a minimum of $33 Million and a soft cap at $40 Million and anything above to the amount of $50 Million will be taxed 100% draft picks and other things. The $50 Million will serve has the hard cap. The major issure is salary arbitartion also.

This is a excellent deal for the players, and Mahr said Linden might have been trying get this deal through the union if indeed he was informed of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad