The NHLPA's War Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I have to wonder if they're low on funds or project to be if the lockout continues. Didn't they cut the amount paid to locked out players? Legal bills must be extraordinarily high for both sides. Perhaps the only way for the NHLPA to continue would be for the players to kick in more money, and I don't see that going over well.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Well, you have 800 members, everyone gets $10K per month. That's $8M every month or so and the lockout is now on it's 10th month. $80M anyone?

I think the players will demand changes before giving NHLPA any more of their money.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Pepper said:
Well, you have 800 members, everyone gets $10K per month. That's $8M every month or so and the lockout is now on it's 10th month. $80M anyone?

I think they cut it in half after several months into what would have been the 2004-05 season. $5K/mos doesn't go far to support the lifestyle some of these players enjoy. A 4th liner making a measly $300K/yr brings in $25K/mos. Most of the guys that went to Europe or played in minor pro leagues had their salaries negated by insurance costs.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
If they cut it in half it's probably a sign of war chest running low, I don't think they even have the financial resources to keep holding out for much longer, even if they had the moral stamina to carry on.

GSC2k2*

Buffaloed said:
I think they cut it in half after several months into what would have been the 2004-05 season. $5K/mos doesn't go far to support the lifestyle some of these players enjoy. A 4th liner making a measly $300K/yr brings in $25K/mos. Most of the guys that went to Europe or played in minor pro leagues had their salaries negated by insurance costs.
Are you kidding???!?!? The guys going over to Europe were making millions!! Millions, i tell you!!! THe European leagues are set to explode with cash! Crosby will make $50 million a year. Ovetchkin will make a billion!!! No one will stay in the NHL with this new CBA!!!! The league will be, like, totally watered down! :sarcasm:

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
dolfanar said:
Man, Modano will NEVER live that down... :p:

What'll be interesting is if, when visiting other team arenas, the fans there will pick on certain players due to lockout comments, to try to get them off their game.

Or, will it piss off the home team too, and therefore be counterproductive?

Will the DJ be allowed to pick appropriate songs?

Who Let the Dogs Out would be amusing.

Doggy in the Window would be infuriating.

And, Dog Eat Dog would just be cruel...

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Hasbro said:
See how thin Modano's dogs look, that should be a good gage.

Joking about the health of a creature with the grace and beauty of Mike Modano's special pet Anastasia-Priscilla should be outlawed. Unless you yourself own a high maintenance animal like a farrah-fawcett haired giant poodle, you should refrain from judging pearly whites in his time of need. ;)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bring Back Bucky said:
Joking about the health of a creature with the grace and beauty of Mike Modano's special pet Anastasia-Priscilla should be outlawed. Unless you yourself own a high maintenance animal like a farrah-fawcett haired giant poodle, you should refrain from judging pearly whites in his time of need. ;)
This begs the question, would the union be able to holdout longer if Modano were a cat person? They are very low maintenence. :dunno:

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
dolfanar said:
Man, Modano will NEVER live that down... :p:

Sure he will! Page 598 of the new CBA includes "The Modano Clause". It stipulates that in the event of a lockout, the NHLPA will be afforded 1% of all TV revenue to go into a pet fund, thus ensuring that no players' pets will starve. And lo, us silly fans thought the PA and owners had no heart.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
roadrunner said:
Sure he will! Page 598 of the new CBA includes "The Modano Clause". It stipulates that in the event of a lockout, the NHLPA will be afforded 1% of all TV revenue to go into a pet fund, thus ensuring that no players' pets will starve. And lo, us silly fans thought the PA and owners had no heart.
I can imagine Goodenow at the ratification meeting:

Goodenow: "Right, look guys, we may have gave in to a cap, we may have gave in to linkage, we may even have gave in to arbitration and rookie salaries, but I, Bob Goodenow, can proudly stand here today and truthfully say that we have NOT forgotten about YOUR pets!"

Avery (lone voice): "Get off the stage!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->