The NHLPA's problem as I see it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
BlackRedGold said:
It is available only to players because it is the only bargaining tool they have in the current CBA until they turn 31.
It's not the only tool they have, they also have the guaranteed 10% raises. And restricted free agency. So the players have *three* tools to raise salaries, whereas the owners have *zero* tools to lower salaries. Hardly fair, and it's why this CBA is broken.

You mean like Peter Schaefer and Mike Peca?
Just two among hundreds.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
It's not the only tool they have, they also have the guaranteed 10% raises. And restricted free agency. So the players have *three* tools to raise salaries, whereas the owners have *zero* tools to lower salaries. Hardly fair, and it's why this CBA is broken.

Just two among hundreds.

1) players do not have guaranteed 10% raises. lie #1
2) owners do have multiple methods to lower salaries. lie #2

so, what other lies can you tell ?

dr

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Facts, idiot, not lies. Learn the freakin' CBA.

In order to maintain a player's rights - Section 10.2, a ii A:

"if the player's Prior Year's Salary is equal to or less than the Average League Salary for that League Year, 110% of the major league portion of his Prior Year's Salary"

capman29

jpsharkfan said:
The NHLPA finished there audit of the 30 teams last week. They have kept suspiciously silent as to what they found. Their silence makes me believe that they found that the NHL had been telling the truth regarding the millions of dollors of losses per year! If the NHLPA found otherwise the would have been all over the press spouting that the NHL lies etc..etc..

Owners of professional sports teams are extremely wealthy and can afford to lose some money for the privilege of owning a team. That does not mean they want to continue to invest more and more money in a business that has no hope of ever making a profit.

Wrong Wrong Wrong !!!!!!! The players found that only six teams were losing 75% of the caimed loses. Big difference would you not say yu management want t be . It is realy great that you think you know anything about what this is realy about and what it i about hs nothing to do with money . The owners want to go back to pre union days where they made all the money and gave the players peanuts and very few benifits.To break the union or install on like the NFL has ( do anything managements wants ) is what they are after and most of you are to blind to see it . If they areable to do that, then you fans are next in line to feel teir wrath with much higher ticket prices because they know you al are to stupid and will blame the players . Boy wht fols you all must be . Hope you like it when they come after your money . HE HE :joker: The joke i on you all enjoy it because the owners will .

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Um, no. The numbers the NHLPA used are total numbers, including money-making teams like Toronto, New York and Detroit.
Take away the teams that make money and those six teams don't account for 75% of the losses. The logic behind this is just stupid. You can't just cancel out the teams with losses with the teams that make money, because the teams with losses don't get any money from the teams which make money.

YellHockey*

PecaFan said:

"if the player's Prior Year's Salary is equal to or less than the Average League Salary for that League Year, 110% of the major league portion of his Prior Year's Salary"

So does that guarantee all players a 10% raise?

Did it guarantee Pavol Demitra, Boyd Devereaux, Daniel Cleary, Chris Pronger, Denis Pederson, or Paul Kariya a minimium of a 10% raise each year?

Just because you're quoting the CBA, doesn't mean that you understand it.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:

and if he isnt worth the 10%, let him go. if he is worth it, whats the problem ?

thats not a guaranteed 10% increase. LET HIM GO !

dr

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
PecaFan said:

Those arent tools for the players, those are tools for the owners. They are the ones who lobbied for them in the last agreement, and currently are using them to keep salaries down.

Surely you arent complaining the fact that a team like Ottawa having to qualify Chris Neil at $770K from 700k is the cause of the leagues money losing problems.

CoolburnIsGone

Apparently, sources say that the FL Panthers are one of the 6 teams losing money (approx. $60 million in the last 3 yrs). I can't say I'm surprised at all but the article below talks about contraction as a non-option (though it says 30 teams, which doesn't rule out relocation). So I would think that an option would be to move those 6 teams losing all that money to a more profitable area, in addition to getting the CBA worked out. I just find it interesting that the league wanted a luxury tax & revenue sharing back in 94...if they get a better proposal from the players along those lines, they should take it (if the tax is dollar for dollar and shared proportionately).

Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ep11,0,348738.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
and if he isnt worth the 10%, let him go. if he is worth it, whats the problem ?

thats not a guaranteed 10% increase. LET HIM GO !

dr

No team can be competitive letting its players go over 10% raises even if they are not worth it. They lose too much talent, it can't be replaced via UFA route (too much $) and if they try the trade route they rapidly run out of prospects and picks, and then run the risk of losing that player via the 10% increase at some future time. Fans desert the team of duds, team loses more money, downward spiral.

Demented you know you are speaking nonsense. While its an uneven playing field let people walk means teams go backwards. Unless every GM agrees not to offer the rejected player a contract then it won't work, and if every GM does blackball that player then its illegal collusion.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ceber said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3000694

Apparently they don't necessarily disagree with the total loss claimed.

Looks like six teams are responsible for shutting down the league this season. I wonder who they are?

Much more than 6. There are probably 6 profit making teams. That means 24 teams are losing money, 6 some more than the 18 other losers. If you believe the NHL those 18 lost about $100m between them. There is about $50m difference between the NHLPA and the NHL which is probably the profit made by the money making clubs. Maybe the NHLPA is write and those 18 clubs only lost $50m. Doesn't matter at least 18 clubs are losing enough money to be serious, probably closer to 24.

That isn't even taking into account the owners would want to see some profit on their investments, a minimum of the 5% they could have gotten from a bank or bond. At the end of the day, 80% of the teams at or below breakeven is BAD.

Brent Burns Beard