The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Troy McClure said:
Sure, if you read only that sentance and ignored the headline and also ignored the rest of the release, you might misunderstand the point.

This like any reading is all about context. The headline provides context, large and bolded for the reader to see. If you saunter on down to the next line following the "misleading" comment, you will see how the average attendance numbers for this October were higher than three previous years. If you then read the rest of it, it is very clear that average attendance was the point.
Oh yeah, I understand the point that these articles are trying to get across. In terms of average attendance in the NHL for the month of October, this particular October was better than any October ever.

I can only assume that in the article that spongeBob referenced that the attendance figures were NHL numbers as they were not referenced in the release. The first two sentances of that release and the AP release on ESPN(from post #1) are identical leading me, personally, to beleive that it may have been released by the NHL thus raising a bit of skepticism. In the grand scheme of things, I could really care less who used what numbers and who released what information. I did not post to stir the pot or promote any NHL conspiracy theory, although I think that there is a sinister plot in the works for the NHL to take over the world and attendance is only the tip of the ice berg, rather I posted because this turned into an entertaining thread, yet raised some very interesting questions about press releases and statistics.

Wow, that was a long sentance.

And now back to the topic: NHL X-files.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Timmy said:
MSNBC

That number?
You might as well give up, Timmy. If these clear and obvious facts combined with the clear and obvious NHL release aren't enough, you are going to have to call the NHL who will then deflect your call to someone's secretary who will blow you off by answering you with whatever you wanted to hear.

I mean, who are you going to believe? Published info with specific numbers for which no correction or retraction has been given, or the word of a secretary who probably has no idea what you're talking about.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Troy McClure said:
You might as well give up, Timmy. If these clear and obvious facts combined with the clear and obvious NHL release aren't enough, you are going to have to call the NHL who will then deflect your call to someone's secretary who will blow you off by answering you with whatever you wanted to hear.

I mean, who are you going to believe? Published info with specific numbers for which no correction or retraction has been given, or the word of a secretary who probably has no idea what you're talking about.

I honestly think that if one of my partners found out that I called the NHL with this question, I'd be hearing sirens approaching the office within about three hours.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
Yes, that's what I did. That conclusion was confirmed by the NHL. But people can believe whatever they want.

The "NHL" confirmed no such thing. A secretary of no knowledge whatsoever confirmed an unknown question asked to him. The NHL, however, has said the exact opposite of your claims, and is backed by something you conspicuously lack - actual numbers.

When you can provide some, you'll be worth something more than the entertainment people get from laughing at incredibly stupid people. Until then, revel in being the laughingstock of the board.

:biglaugh:

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Crazy_Ike said:
The NHL, however, has said the exact opposite of your claims, and is backed by something you conspicuously lack - actual numbers.

Wrong. He has provided a number:

212-789-2000

Maybe every HF poster should flood the phone line, asking which October's average attendance beat this year's, until they're forced to issue a clarifying statement with the add-on, "So please, would everyone stop calling Henry? He's got other things to do besides answer your dumb-assed questions."

GSC2k2*

I called them, hockeytown.

They remembered talking to you. They confirmed that you were deathly afraid of being proven wrong, as if your very life depended on it. They told me that they told you what they thought you needed to hear, since you were nearly hysterical and they feared you were going to keel over from the sheer exertion of it all.

I swear you are NEVER - eeeeeeever - going to live down this thread, ole chap.

GSC2k2*

Oh - by the way - in case you doubt the veracity of the above conversation, i have precisely the same amount of proof that I had that conversation as you do that you had yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->