Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
TNT exec David Levy made some comments in reference to the NHL in Mediaweek.com

Levy also told Mediaweek that Turner would be interested in acquiring cable rights to the National Hockey League telecasts now that ESPN has decided not to renew its rights agreement. “We looked at the NHL in the past and were not able to come up with a financial model that worked for us,†Levy said. “But if the NHL approaches us with a model that works for both of us, we would certainly look at it. Hockey is a proven professional sport, so if the NHL has any ideas, we would look at it.â€

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000952284

TNT is a Time Warner property

http://www.tnt.tv/sports/

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Actually makes sense, Turner Sports has a good reputation in regards to the quality of their broadcasts, plus already has hockey broadcasting experience, as they do the Thrashers broadcasts on Turner South and UPN 69. TimeWarner still has a partial stake in the Thrashers, but not really enough to be a conflict of interest. I don't see TNT going as far as having the NHL be as big of a part of their lineup as the NBA has been. Perhaps TimeWarner ought to pair the NHL on TBS as well. Both networks are included on nearly every cable and satellite system (I'm sure there might be some that don't carry them), so getting viewer wouldn't be that hard. Or maybe they goes as far as to create a new national sports network (Doubt it, as they would have trouble getting cable and satellite companies to add it, and if they did, they would be channels available to those with the really premium packages.).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sigh....so this is what its come to...NHL on TNT possibly.

Though im very happy at least a station is interested in the NHL...props to TNT for that.

Wait..doesnt TNT also carry Basketball? Or no?

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Yeah they carried NBA games, pretty sure they still do some. At one point they had a few nationally televised games in Canada that were picked up by TSN/Sportsnet.

This wouldn't be that bad of a move. TNT has national broadcast range and is a respected network. It isn't NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, or ESPN but it isn't the worst you could do either. It also is a place where the NHL might not have such a high profile right away. If the game comes back right and is entertaining as hell then people may start to pick up on it, and the major networks may try and swoop in. That is how the NHL is going to have to market itself. The league is back to where it was around the time just before Gretzky was traded to the Kings.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
TNT and ESPN share in carrying the bulk of the NBA games on television.Turner has carried the NBA since the 1980's.Whether it was then TBS and now TNT,the NBA is a staple on Turner.TNT wants to get involved in the one remaining NFL TV package.They used to televise the early portion of Sunday night NFL game schedule before losing the entire package to ESPN

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
TNT has 40 nights of NBA playoffs in April/May/first week June so NHL playoffs would get bumped a lot. TNT has more NBA playoff coverage by a good chunk than ESPN.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Nba might have a lockout ..thats why TNT is interested in the NHL. I also heard from pple that TNT and NBA might not renew their contracts.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
This iis GREAT NEWS for the NHL!!!!!!!!!

if you compare the quality of broadcasts for the NBA on TNT and ESPN its not even close!!!!!!!!!

TNT is far better from their announcers, studio shows, and their presentaion of the game.

The NHL needs some personalaties to host their intermisions and post game show like Charles Barkley that people are farmiliar with.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Komisarek8 said:
Nba might have a lockout ..thats why TNT is interested in the NHL. I also heard from pple that TNT and NBA might not renew their contracts.

Turner has had a TV deal with NBA since 1984.

Current deal expires after the 2007-08 ... so after 3 more seasons.

So TNT may make a good secondary national cable provider, but not a primary one.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
I agree...great news for the NHL if they can come to terms with TNT. I could think of a lot worse places to land.

The next step would be for them to hire Jeremy Roenick [or another player that is recognizable to the US audience, can make comments on the edge, and has an engaging style, and is likable] to assume the Charles Barkley role. Have a Fox Sunday NFL type panel that has a great fun time on the air, but is knowledgable.....Have a little rink to design out plays and flows to educate the newbie hockey viewers [demonstrate the standard triangle, box plus one, 2-3 one wing back, left wing lock, breakout schemes, PK schemes, PP schemes, the potential is endless].....get a sexy babe [ala Jillian Barberie] to give the weather report of the games....inside and outside the arena , I don't care as long as her top is low cut and she has a tight butt.... hire Buccigross, as there is nobody that cares more about hockey on the US tube than Bucci.......Dump Melrose......Have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement do the main play by play and color.

the potential is there......

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:

quite possible

looks like ESPN is airing more and more games

might not be too long before the NBA is exlusivly on ESPN

I think TNT would be wise to pick up the NHL
Present it in a very fan friendly way
And market the players and not so much the teams
And one player especially
Sidney Crosby
No diffenent then LeBron James

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
handtrick said:
I agree...great news for the NHL if they can come to terms with TNT. I could think of a lot worse places to land.

The next step would be for them to hire Jeremy Roenick [or another player that is recognizable to the US audience, can make comments on the edge, and has an engaging style, and is likable] to assume the Charles Barkley role. Have a Fox Sunday NFL type panel that has a great fun time on the air, but is knowledgable.....Have a little rink to design out plays and flows to educate the newbie hockey viewers [demonstrate the standard triangle, box plus one, 2-3 one wing back, left wing lock, breakout schemes, PK schemes, PP schemes, the potential is endless].....get a sexy babe [ala Jillian Barberie] to give the weather report of the games....inside and outside the arena , I don't care as long as her top is low cut and she has a tight butt.... hire Buccigross, as there is nobody that cares more about hockey on the US tube than Bucci.......Dump Melrose......Have Gary Thorne and Bill Clement do the main play by play and color.

the potential is there......

EXACTLY!!!!!!
FINALY SOMEONE GETS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why is baseball 2night so sucessful on ESPN

the personalaties (Kruk)
the INSIDER (Gammons)
the interactive segments (3 up 3 down) (web gems) (hands on demonstrations)

the NHL has NONE OF THESE!!!!!!!!!

all they have to do is look at whats working with other sports

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Here is an idea for a new CAMERA

1st u need the sky cam like in the NFL and NBA, it was used seldomly last year but it wasnt used to its capabilaty

2nd You know how they have those cameras in track that follow the ahletes in the the olympics and in the World Cup that move horizonally following the action.

I think the NHL should built a camera that slides along the glass on one side of the ice in every arena so the flow of the game can better be presented

just an idea

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
sharkyz15 said:
Here is an idea for a new CAMERA

1st u need the sky cam like in the NFL and NBA, it was used seldomly last year but it wasnt used to its capabilaty

2nd You know how they have those cameras in track that follow the ahletes in the the olympics and in the World Cup that move horizonally following the action.

I think the NHL should built a camera that slides along the glass on one side of the ice in every arena so the flow of the game can better be presented

just an idea
How about showing games the way TSN does and stick with that, Hockey is too fast of a game and a close to the ice camera will only cause seizures.

If TNT was to start showing hockey here is waht I would want them to do:

1.) Get an announcer and color that brings energy to the game and understands the game. CBC seems to like throwing away good guys like Chris Cuthbert...shouldn't be hard to pick up a good guy.

2.) Try their hardest to steal Brian Burke and Jacques Demers for intermission, both know the game and would be good for debate.

3.) Have a classic look to the games, don't try to re-invent the game with glowing pucks.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
sharkyz15 said:

just an idea

ESPN used one for the NCAA tourney this year. It had some moments, but I wasn't a huge fan. I'm sure that with some time and experience it could be a good thing.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
ceber said:
ESPN used one for the NCAA tourney this year. It had some moments, but I wasn't a huge fan. I'm sure that with some time and experience it could be a good thing.
As a suplement to the normal angles it would be great. I thought the 360 Matrix style cameras worked well at the Olympics and the 2001 Stanley cup.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
ceber said:

OH!

THANK YOU!!

As soon as i posted that i had a flash back but i couldnt put it all together

Personally I enjoyed it

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
sharkyz15 said:
quite possible

looks like ESPN is airing more and more games

might not be too long before the NBA is exlusivly on ESPN

Again, current deal calls for TNT to air 40 nights of playoff basketball each of the next 3 years. That isn't changing. There is definitely room for weekly NHL games as TNT basically just has NBA double headers on Thursday nights.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Trizent said:
Again, current deal calls for TNT to air 40 nights of playoff basketball each of the next 3 years. That isn't changing. There is definitely room for weekly NHL games as TNT basically just has NBA double headers on Thursday nights.
Is TBS still a seperate Superstation? If so that can handle the run off.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Id be happy with this. Whatever it takes to get as much hockey on TV in the US is great for me. I actually like Melrose though, hopefully he does something productive.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
How about showing games the way TSN does and stick with that, Hockey is too fast of a game and a close to the ice camera will only cause seizures.

If TNT was to start showing hockey here is waht I would want them to do:

1.) Get an announcer and color that brings energy to the game and understands the game. CBC seems to like throwing away good guys like Chris Cuthbert...shouldn't be hard to pick up a good guy.

2.) Try their hardest to steal Brian Burke and Jacques Demers for intermission, both know the game and would be good for debate.

3.) Have a classic look to the games, don't try to re-invent the game with glowing pucks.

No way is Demers leaving Rds! :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->