The NHL 94 Effect

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Not sure if anybody else feels this or it's just me, but it seems so many people got a proper introduction to hockey through the greatness of NHL 94 (and to a lesser extent NHL 93) and we played it so many times that even now the rosters are permanently embedded in our brains.

We associate certain players with certain teams. It feels like they'd been there for ages even though it may have been a brief put stop...because that's the team they were on when NHL 94 came out. That's where they permanently belong. With us the Players in the Wrong Uniform thread will always contain some oddities that we don't agree with.

Phil Housley...Buffalo? Huh? No he's a Jet.

Ron Hextall. Quebec Nordique. Peter Stastny, New Jersey Devils legend.

Joe Juneau never went to Washington. Boston Bruins legend eternally. And a deadly sniper at time. Same with Adam Oates look out for his goal scoring prowess.

John Vanbiebrouck pulling double duty as starting goalie of the Rangers and Panthers. Grant Fuhr...25 career regular season wins with the Sabres? Hasek Smasek in the world of NHL 94 Grant Fuhr is the iconic Sabres franchise goalie.

Anyone else experience this?

Also the instruction manual. It had a very distinct smell to it. Anyone remember that?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I used to edit the rosters on NHL Hockey ('94) and NHL 95 for the PC, so I am not so fixated on players being on specific teams.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I probably more experience this with guys who weren't long-term NHLers. As in, guys that played, say, 100 games or so. Steven Rice is one example I think of immediately. Guy Larose is another.

Also, Damien Rhodes is forever a Leaf...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad