The Next Staal Brother....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
A Lone Wolf said:
Anyone have any info on the next Staal brother coming up? I know hes eligible for this summers draft and will guy high, but what talent does this kid have? And what position does he play? And oh yes, how does he get along with Marc Staal? :)

He isnt eligable until 2005

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He's actually asking about Jordan Staal who is eligible for the 2004 OHL draft. I don't know too much about him but I believe he's a center. Some people say he's in contention for the first overall pick so that should tell you something about how good he is. Then again, some people are so into bloodlines that he might be getting overrated.

thestonedkoala

Yep:

Mikko Koivu
Fedor Fedorov
Marcel Hossa

Koivu has a chance to not get labeled as riding on his brother's coattails if he gets over here and works his butt off but it's looking like his position was partly from his brother. I have to say though, I'm mixed about him so far.

Brothers never really work out the way you wanted them too. Actually some do, some don't but in the past couple of years the big marquee names haven't really lived up yet. Hossa also has a bit of a chance because he is supposedly a PF type but...

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Don't forget Gretzky's brother, or the infamous Brett Lindros.

BTW, does Sid Crosby have a brother? ;)

Sticky*

I can promise you one thing, Jordan Staal is not overated. I am from the area, and he is definitely deserving. The Thunder Bay Kings are not doing too good this year but Jordan is doing all he can (something like 49pts in like 27 games). He is supposed to be the best of the bunch, which certainly isn't fair to him since his brother is Eric Staal, but the potential is there. Huge frame, 6'3", and not skinny like Eric, built about 185lbs, for a 15 year old.

Really though, he is a tremendous talent, he really looks like Modano when he skates (not comparing his to Mo, just saying he skated like him), phenomenal hands. There is a real buzz about this kid around that area. WILL go in the top 2 of this year's OHL draft, that is assured.

And to answer your question, I don't know why it matters, but yes, Jordan and Marc get along really well (i guess you're hoping to land him this year), as do all four brothers. Eric, Marc, Jordan, and Jerrod are extremely close. They grew up together playing on their backyard rink. They all have each other to thank for what they have accomplished, and what they will accomplish. NExt Sutter brothers.

thestonedkoala

Damn it I want to see a group of brothers like the Hansons!

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Jordan Staal will not likely go in the Top 2 of the OHL draft.

Matthew Corrente all but has the #1 spot locked up. He is being compared to a young Adam Foote. Don Meehan has been his agent since the begining of last year.

Past him it's somewhat up in the air... anyone from John Hughes to Chad Morin to Carter Camper to Joe Palmer or Brett Bennett could go #2.

I'd like to know where you got your...
"WILL go in the top 2 of this year's OHL draft, that is assured."

And FYI... Jordan isn't even the best of the Staal brothers (supposidly). The YOUNGEST is supposed to be better than them all. And FYI... Eric is supposed to be the "worst"... Sutter family x2?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Jared Staal I believe is the youngest, and he's quite good.

As for hockey bloodlines, it's easy to point to the failures, but how about all the ones that make it? In fact, bloodlines couldn't be more *underrated* in many situations, I feel. Consider the amount of brothers in the NHL and AHL combined, that cannot be a freak thing.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Mizral said:
Jared Staal I believe is the youngest, and he's quite good.

As for hockey bloodlines, it's easy to point to the failures, but how about all the ones that make it? In fact, bloodlines couldn't be more *underrated* in many situations, I feel. Consider the amount of brothers in the NHL and AHL combined, that cannot be a freak thing.

Oh yeah, I've forgotten how good both of the Ferraro twins have been, and how awesome the Sedins have been.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
PhoPhan said:
Oh yeah, I've forgotten how good both of the Ferraro twins have been, and how awesome the Sedins have been.

theres also an Ian Staal...does anyone know if/where hes playing (if at all?)? i suppose hes related cause' he was on the Thunder Bay Hawks team with Colt King and Daniel Bois back in 1994 haha, and i think he might have gone on to play with the Thunder Bay Kings AAA

not sure, any info? Thunder Bay hockey rules

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
PhoPhan said:

Maurice and Henri Richard
Scott and Rob Neidermayer
The entire Sutter family sans one
Many, many others

You very much underrate what it takes to play at the NHL level. The Sedin's might not be superstars, but for two brothers to both make the NHL is a pretty phenomenal feat. It's not easy to play in the NHL, and one of the leagues best teams no less.

Sticky*

Schlep Rock said:
And FYI... Jordan isn't even the best of the Staal brothers (supposidly). The YOUNGEST is supposed to be better than them all. And FYI... Eric is supposed to be the "worst"... Sutter family x2?

You do not even have a clue. Trust me, there has been mistakes made in the hockey news about it. Jared is the youngest, but they have often wrote Jordan as the "youngest, best brother", even though while he is the best, he is not the youngest (JAred is).

-HIFK-

PhoPhan said:
Oh, you are absolutely right. The whole Sedin family should be really ashamed of Henrik and Daniel.

I mean, think about it. The twin sons of the family from Örsköldsvik, Sweden, aren´t even NHL-superstars yet, although they´re already 23 years old. Imagine the embarrassment of having your two sons play in the 3rd line of an NHL-team. They´re approaching a ridiculous combined total of what, 500-600 NHL-games? Heck, my brother and I will put our skates on and do the same, any day...
Those countless times the Sedins´ parents drove them to practice or the games when the twins were young, all of that blown straight to h*ll..

Last edited by a moderator:

Das Rancor

Dec 4, 2002
Saukkola City
Visit site
-HIFK- said:
Oh, you are absolutely right. The whole Sedin family should be really ashamed of Henrik and Daniel.

I mean, think about it. The twin sons of the family from Örsköldsvik, Sweden, aren´t even NHL-superstars yet, although they´re already 23 years old. Imagine the embarrassment of having your two sons play in the 3rd line of an NHL-team. They´re approaching a ridiculous combined total of what, 500-600 NHL-games? Heck, my brother and I will put our skates on and do the same, any day...
Those countless times the Sedins´ parents drove them to practice or the games when the twins were young, all of that blown straight to h*ll..

Good post...
Bad, baaaaad avatar!
Go Jokerit!
Go Ruoska-Pepe!

-HIFK-

Das Rancor said:
Good post...
Bad, baaaaad avatar!
Go Jokerit!
Go Ruoska-Pepe!
I even changed my avatar, so there will be no misunderstandings as to what it stands for...
That logo is a piece of art, it stands for the greatest hockey team ever... but you already knew that... right? :)

Go Kibe go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Sticky said:
You do not even have a clue. Trust me, there has been mistakes made in the hockey news about it. Jared is the youngest, but they have often wrote Jordan as the "youngest, best brother", even though while he is the best, he is not the youngest (JAred is).

How do I not have a clue? Like I said... the youngest is supposed to be the best.

You say no Jordan is the best.

We differ on opinion of players.

So I don't even have a clue?!?! Makes sense.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Getting back to the original subject matter...

I have seen Jordan play, twice in November in Winnipeg. The team isn't the best, that can be said.

He plays centre and right wing (if he's double-shifted), and on the power play he plays left defense and right defense.

He has an excellent snap shot/wrister, able to pick corners on goalies. He gets it off quickly leaving no time for a goalie to get set. He scored a couple of beauties in the second game.

Jordan's got a very good stride. When I first saw him I thought he was slow, but it's just so smooth that when he chased down a puck with a defender on him the other guy was taking two strides to his one and Jordan was still quicker. He might be lacking a top gear, but that could be because of that minutes he logs in a game...

I especially liked his hard work at both ends. He really took it upon himself to fore-check and back-check and took the body, though he could do it more.

Maybe it was the tough schedule that Thunder Bay plays (they played four games in three days in Winnipeg), the Kings didn't have a lot left in the tank for the last game. There were comments around the rink that Staal wasn't as dominant as they had seen him before, but I felt like he had logged a substantial amount of minutes in previous games. As an example, Staal would play the full two minutes on power plays and also on penalty kills. That would wear down anyone over the course of a weekend.

For the record Thunder Bay split the two games, winning handily (I think it was 9-5) in the first but losing 10-4 in the 4th and final game of their trip. Staal was their best player in both.

I have read the story about Jordan being better than bigger brother Eric. I can't say after seeing him play twice that it's a true statement, but I believe he's #2 with a bullet. But at age 14 no one knows if Jordan will continue to progress and grow (he's already 6-3) or if he's reached his actual peak as a player.

I'm looking forward to seeing him again in February. I'll let you all know how he does.

(I'll check back on Monday if there's any questions or comments, going to be away from the computer the rest of the weekend...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->