The Next GREAT goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
Chootoi said:
fleury. mentions to nittymaki and maybe leneveu.

i think under the new CBA and changes to the game and all that junk you'll be hard pressed to find goalies that put up roy and brodeur like stats. i'll probably take some heat for this but roy played for a very good montreal team early on and a very good colorado team later in his career. brodeur has played on a NJ team that had lemaire behind the bench for good while, and even now they play tight defensive hockey. some will argue that roy and brodeur are what made these teams good. maybe so. i just think under a new league (and possibly game) structure you'll see a lot less 'dynasties' so to speak that are consistently good over a decade (DET, NJ, COL...). i personally think that then NHL will start to mimic the CHL a bit more where teams rise and fall in the standings every 3-4 years rather than the 7-8 years (or more) that it is now.

i guess we'll find out

I'd argue that the Devils and Avalanche were already good teams, it was players like Roy and Brodeur who propelled their franchises' success to another level and made them great teams.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
TOP 10 YOUNG GOALIE PROSPECTS

1-Kari Lehtonen
2-Hannu Toivonen
3-Ryan Miller
4-Cam Ward
5-Josh Harding
6-Antero Niitymaki
7-Marc-Andre Fleury
8-Pascal Leclaire
9-Yann Danis
10-Henrik Lundqvist

Last edited:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
fredez said:
TOP 10 YOUNG GOALIE PROSPECTS

1-Kari Lehtonen
2-Hannu Toivonen
3-Ryan Miller
4-Cam Ward
5-Josh Harding
6-Antero Niitymaki
7-Andy Chiodo
8-Pascal Leclaire
9-Yann Danis
10-Henrik Lundqvist

Fleury has struggled lately, but is that enough to drop him from the top ten goalie prospects?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Til the End of Time said:
Fleury has struggled lately, but is that enough to drop him from the top ten goalie prospects?

... and vault Chiodo, who has been hot just lately (and totally blown all season otherwise), onto the list when he has been previously left off for... well... ever?

The flavor of the moment attitude around here is stunning at times.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I don't know why I forgot about Fleury, I switched him with Chiodo now.

I heard from an AHL goalie that Chiodo was worshiped in Wilkes Barre though

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, you're right about that. He gets treated like royalty there.

I'll give him this - he's clutch... at least so far. But I still wouldn't put him in the top ten future goaltenders.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
Emery had a very nice playoffs, was goalie of the month in April, and easily could have won in March when nomiated. I'll definatly throw his name out there for the top 30, being a Sens prospect and all. For all the heat he took early in the season (much of it deserved, although I think it was slightly over-played) he sure has turned it around.

Last edited:

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com

Agreed. But he has been horrible pretty much all year. Infact, excluding a few hot streaks, he's been sub-par since the WJC. I'm confident he can get over the hump, but not on his own. The Pens need to get him a goalie coach. As far as I'm concerned it's not even an option. If nobody is brought in to help Fleury, who has all the talent in the world, I see things continuing down the same path.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
salzy said:
I would have to say Lehtonen.

On a side note, it's nice to see so many people mentioning Niitymaki. Is it safe to say he has vaulted passed Ouellet at this point? Aside from the immediate shock of hearing about the trade, I personally have never sweated the Adam Oates deal for one second. Maybe Niity is starting to make the rest of Flyerland stop worring about the deal too?

Is it safe to say Nittymaki>Ouellet? Not really. Ouellet is still @19 on HF's top 50. Not that the list is Golden, but outside of an injury this season and slow start behind a terrible defense, Ouellet has been dominant in the AHL and looked good w/a stint in DC.

Lehtonen is amazing. He has to be the #1 goalie prospect out there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Man.Utd said:
Agreed. But he has been horrible pretty much all year. Infact, excluding a few hot streaks, he's been sub-par since the WJC. I'm confident he can get over the hump, but not on his own. The Pens need to get him a goalie coach. As far as I'm concerned it's not even an option. If nobody is brought in to help Fleury, who has all the talent in the world, I see things continuing down the same path.

He gets attention from both Gilles Lefebvre and Gilles Meloche. But I agree that a high-caliber full-time coach would be a wise investment, considering the Penguins good stable of goaltenders - even beyond Fleury.

I'll admit that it's been difficult, especially late in the year, to defend his play this season.

Rather Gingerly 1*

My top three would be:

1.Lethonen
2.Fleury
3.Danis

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
BlindWillyMcHurt said:
... and vault Chiodo, who has been hot just lately (and totally blown all season otherwise), onto the list when he has been previously left off for... well... ever?

The flavor of the moment attitude around here is stunning at times.

:clap:

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
1.Lehtonen
2.Toivonen
3.Fluerry

Thats my Top threee. But for guys that peeps never mentioned...Anyone say Cam Ward yet? Hes playing great for Lowell
:yo:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Lots of great young goalies. Look at the 2002 draft alone: Lehtonen (great young goalie), Hannu Toivonen (terrific) and highly underrated, future No. 1 goalies Cam Ward and Josh Harding. Fleury will be a heck of a goalie, too.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Here's a homer- Blackburn (he'd be a good contender if it wasn't for his weird glove/blocker thingy)

27- 3 more
Henrik Lundqvist
Kari Lehtonen
Andy Chiodo
Hannu Toivanen
Marc-Andre Fleury
Antero Niittymaki
Andrew Raycroft
Julien Ellis Plante
Pascal LeClaire
David Leneveu
Ray Emery
Brent Krahn
Yann Danis
Marek Schwartz
Ryan Miller
Jeff Glass
Al Montoya
Maxime Ouellet
Mikka Noronen
Rick DiPietro
Josh Harding
James Howard
Ilja Bryzgalov
Ari Ahonen
Cam Ward
Dan Blackburn

no undrafteds

this is not a nomination but i'm surprised a leaf fan hasn't blurted out tellqvist yet...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Cant wait till Lundqvist gets some exposure during the WC....maybe it will open some more eyes since half of you didnt even include him and hes a much better prospect then what some named. Not saying hes #1 goalie prospect by any means though.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Ryan Miller for sure...no question about it, this kid is going to be a STUD!!! He dominated college, dominated the AHL, the NHL is next.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Rancid said:
Here's a homer- Blackburn (he'd be a good contender if it wasn't for his weird glove/blocker thingy)

27- 3 more
Henrik Lundqvist
Kari Lehtonen
Andy Chiodo
Hannu Toivanen
Marc-Andre Fleury
Antero Niittymaki
Andrew Raycroft
Julien Ellis Plante
Pascal LeClaire
David Leneveu
Ray Emery
Brent Krahn
Yann Danis
Marek Schwartz
Ryan Miller
Jeff Glass
Al Montoya
Maxime Ouellet
Mikka Noronen
Rick DiPietro
Josh Harding
James Howard
Ilja Bryzgalov
Ari Ahonen
Cam Ward
Dan Blackburn

no undrafteds

this is not a nomination but i'm surprised a leaf fan hasn't blurted out tellqvist yet...

i think the worst any of those kids could do is NHL backup if everything goes well and they stay healthy

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
How about Brian Finley,Jason Bachashihua,Konstantin Barulin,Stefan Liv,Rejean Beauchemin and Bernd Bruckler. They are not the best but some of them are capable back ups for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->