Speculation: The Next Captain?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
My choices are either Greene or Gionta. I don't really see any other player getting the C over them.

definitely. Maybe Zubrus too. We have veterans for a reason!

Also look at the team's stats from last season. Gionta is about equal to Ruutu, same age, and played fewer games. He's on the team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zubrus and Gionta being captain? This board is really bringing the funnies tonight.

Urbom better be getting an A after we bring him back.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
The only two names that make sense are Greene or Elias

I'd throw a younger guy in there as well...Henrique fits with where this team is going(youth movement) kind of like what other teams are doing. It be nice to have a long term captain in place and not another one for a couple of years.

I know one thing, it won't be Elias as he's said he doesn't want to be captain. He'll get the "A" this year

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i think Greene or Zajac. And I prob lean Zajac. I think giving him the C would actually take some pressure off. Just be a leader, don't worry so much about scoring.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
i think Greene or Zajac. And I prob lean Zajac. I think giving him the C would actually take some pressure off. Just be a leader, don't worry so much about scoring.

fans will call for his head if he has the C and doesnt produce. thats how their mentality works.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If there was ever a time I figured they'd make Zajac a captain, the time would have been right before the lockout shortened season started. Right after he signed the extension.

Nothing to do with Salvador, aside from the fact that he wasn't going to be around nearly as long as Zajac. Zajac was a younger guy with many years left, though also a veteran.

It's probably best we didn't give him the captaincy though. I think it's gotta be Greene.

GhostofKenKlee

I think we will see what Lemaire did in Minnesota and rotate three A's every so often or monthly as well as home and visiting.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I don't understand why everyone's so averse to seeing one of the bottom 6 vets get a nod. shrug

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I can see rotating 'A' but not a C.

I think Greene has the inside track, but who knows if Hynes wants to really go young he could very well give it to Henrique.

Ideally: C - Greene, A - Elias, A - Zajac, Henrique, or Camm. I could see the Home A's and Away A's being different.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If there was ever a time I figured they'd make Zajac a captain, the time would have been right before the lockout shortened season started. Right after he signed the extension.

Nothing to do with Salvador, aside from the fact that he wasn't going to be around nearly as long as Zajac. Zajac was a younger guy with many years left, though also a veteran.

It's probably best we didn't give him the captaincy though. I think it's gotta be Greene.

Honestly I hated the Salvador pick for the C. I really have nothing against Salvador, and honestly I think it'd be kind of nice to see him get in a couple games next year, but everyone knew Salvador's days were already numbered as an effective shutdown guy even before the captaincy.

I always liked that you could count Devils captains on one hand. When you look back at the likes of Stevens, Driver, Muller... a year or two of Bryce Salvador just didn't seem right to me. Would've much rather seen Zajac or Henrique named then.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly I hated the Salvador pick for the C. I really have nothing against Salvador, and honestly I think it'd be kind of nice to see him get in a couple games next year, but everyone knew Salvador's days were already numbered as an effective shutdown guy even before the captaincy.

I always liked that you could count Devils captains on one hand. When you look back at the likes of Stevens, Driver, Muller... a year or two of Bryce Salvador just didn't seem right to me. Would've much rather seen Zajac or Henrique named then.

I didn't like Salvador being captain much, but it seemed like a lot of people didn't like it because they felt the C is what kept him from being scratched.

After seeing how bad another certain veteran was last year and him NEVER being a healthy scratch, I don't think he would have been a healthy scratch ever. Even if he had no letter.

Guys like Tallinder and Volchenkov were scratched because they weren't as tenured with the organization. That's my opinion and it's pretty obvious. Same reason why Ruutu, Ryder and Havlat were healthy scratches over our more longer tenured forwards last year. Those guys were bad, they weren't as bad as some of the guys that kept playing every night though.

They weren't as bad as Salvador those last few seasons, but they would have always been scratched before him because of his seniority with the organization. Or at least under DeBoer. Maybe things would have been different with a Lemaire or Burns in there. Lemaire scratching a very long tenured Pandolfo, and Burns scratching Dano in the 2003 playoffs.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
My choices are either Greene or Gionta. I don't really see any other player getting the C over them.

ZxC2SII.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad