The Newest, Most Official Sidney Crosby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
you've never seen Gilbert play, have you.

I will go "out on a limb" and say Latendresse will be drafted ahead of Brule. What is not obvious now will be a year from now.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
charliemurphy said:
Would anyone be upset if Sidney Crosby was to be drafted by the New York Rangers in 05'?
Be nice. :snide:
It would be good if he good get drafted by a team with young emerging talent .
Columbus would be a good fit on that front and also it would be good for hockey
to have Sidney there to create interest in the sport.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Don_Cherry said:
If Crosby wasn't around everyone would be talking about Brule right now, he is a great prospect and he has not shown any reason to think he won't become a very good NHL'er. That being said, Crosby is by far a better player and prospect but only because he is special. Brule is still great, but not special.

I never doubted that :)

I like Brule and Bertrand from out west. But i dont think either are close to Crosby.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hitman said:
Just think what Rimouski will be like next year :bow: :amazed: :blush:

They need a goalie and 3 dmen.

Crosby will need to score 6 goals a game for them to win unless they address those needs.

Plus if they run into a hot goalie, which they did this year, they are toast.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
They need a goalie and 3 dmen.

Crosby will need to score 6 goals a game for them to win unless they address those needs.

Plus if they run into a hot goalie, which they did this year, they are toast.
But you have to understand that the Oceanic are only losing three players
because of age while most of the top teams now are losing 8 or 9.They
do need a goalie but they do have some good young defenceman who could
be pretty solid by next year.As for Sidney he won't score 6 a game but he'll
score over 200 points next year. Even if he didn't improve(which he has done
every year)he will be playing in a less competitive league as this years league
had as their best players alot of 19 and 20 year olds.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pei fan said:
But you have to understand that the Oceanic are only losing three players
because of age while most of the top teams now are losing 8 or 9.They
do need a goalie but they do have some good young defenceman who could
be pretty solid by next year.As for Sidney he won't score 6 a game but he'll
score over 200 points next year. Even if he didn't improve(which he has done
every year)he will be playing in a less competitive league as this years league
had as their best players alot of 19 and 20 year olds.

Actually 1985 is the best year for the QMJHL therefore they will be 19 next year.

This years 19 and 20's werent that great compared to past seasons.

No doubt Rimouski will be good, but they need to get themselves a goalie, which i dont doubt they will do. But it will cost them.

Yeah they have some young D, guys like Tremblay, Vieulleux and Bolduc but they still need a guy who can play in the top 4 that can shut down the opponents best player.

rick25

Aug 3, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
From what we heard so far in Rimouski for the goalie, Cory Schneider will be the #1 next year. The pessimists say it has 50 % of chance to play for us next year, the optimists say that a deal is already concluded.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
rick25 said:
From what we heard so far in Rimouski for the goalie, Cory Schneider will be the #1 next year. The pessimists say it has 50 % of chance to play for us next year, the optimists say that a deal is already concluded.

Well, hes commited to a D1 school.

Anything is possible, but if you're hinging on your #1 goalie ditching schoool when he hasnt hinted he will than you better hope you have a good plan B.

IceMelter

Feb 23, 2003
The Wack
how come i'm getting the Simpsons instead of Crosby? Don't we get to watch it out on the west coast :banghead:

Nevermind I see its after the game on the west coast.

Last edited:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The new 99 in WHA?

On worldhockeyassociation.net (the new WHA's official site) they say that Crosby will be drafted by one of their teams as will Ovechkin in their draft on July 10, what are the chances of #87 suiting up in the new league as opposed to Rimouski when their season begins in November? Personally I don't know what would be better for him, more time with players his own age or experiance against older competition.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
The site says the draft is on July 10th. With the NHL entry draft in June, how could a WHA team select Ovechkin when he is picked by Washington?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The Albino said:
The site says the draft is on July 10th. With the NHL entry draft in June, how could a WHA team select Ovechkin when he is picked by Washington?

How can Washington draft him in June if I picked him for my "Backyard Rink League" in May?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
The Albino said:

Simply put, when a team 'drafts' a player, they basically get his rights if they decided to join the league. The draft started back in the 60's I believe in the NHL. Prior to this, the NHL's teams would be free to sign players as they saw fit. In theory, this creates a terrible heirarchy. Imagine if the Capitals had to contend with every other team in the NHL to sign Ovechkin. Not only would this give teams with deeper pockets an edge, this would also drive up the average player salary. Kindof like a bidding war in an auction, Excessive prices when two people want something very very badly

In Juniors, alot of players get drafted, but will just finish out their days there before they sign. Drafting a player doesnt guarantee a player will be in your posession. Its easier to think of the system now, its the NHL and the other 'leauges' are overseas in Russia, Sweden, Czech, etc. Each league has its own rules of drafting players, some which go very young because of a tiered system that is set up similarly to the Junior hockey system to siphon in young talent. the WHA would be a variant of these leagues, only right in the NHL's back yard.

Fun little nugget of trivia: Vladislav Tretiak (infamous Soviet goalie, go see Miracle if you're still in the dark) was drafted in '83 by The Canadiens. So if he chose to head to the NHL, he would have to sign with the Canadiens. However, he obviously didnt.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
charliemurphy said:
Would anyone be upset if Sidney Crosby was to be drafted by the New York Rangers in 05'?
Be nice. :snide:
I've got a nagging feeling with the 05 draft seedings still in the air, Bettman is going to pull a David Stern and rig the lottery in whatever form for the Rangers.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I have a question that I hope will get a lot of answers, I wanted to make a topic for it, but maybe some mods would of minded, here it is:

I've followed the Crosby show on HFBoards like everybody else, well before he was even drafted to junior, and we've all seen what he's capable of, the statistics that he's put and the awards he's won.. But I wonder what is it that makes him record 2 points per game at the QMJHL level, the incredible number of assists he has and also the goal a game.
What are Crosby's strenghts? I know that he's very strong on the puck, physical, tremendous intensity, is a good skater, has incredible talent.. But what are the individual skills that Crosby has? How good of a checker is he, how fast can he skate around the rink, how does it compare to other skaters. What speed is his slapshot at, how's his wrister, does he have a very accurate shot, unbelievable vision? Ex. is his shot better than Hull, does he skate as fast as Gaborik, what makes him get so high stats?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
littleHossa said:
I have a question that I hope will get a lot of answers, I wanted to make a topic for it, but maybe some mods would of minded, here it is:

I've followed the Crosby show on HFBoards like everybody else, well before he was even drafted to junior, and we've all seen what he's capable of, the statistics that he's put and the awards he's won.. But I wonder what is it that makes him record 2 points per game at the QMJHL level, the incredible number of assists he has and also the goal a game.
What are Crosby's strenghts? I know that he's very strong on the puck, physical, tremendous intensity, is a good skater, has incredible talent.. But what are the individual skills that Crosby has? How good of a checker is he, how fast can he skate around the rink, how does it compare to other skaters. What speed is his slapshot at, how's his wrister, does he have a very accurate shot, unbelievable vision? Ex. is his shot better than Hull, does he skate as fast as Gaborik, what makes him get so high stats?

His unbelievable vision and soft hands are the best that have come through the Q after Mario. Everything else is very good or better, but those two things stand out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad