The New Little Caesers Arena Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Is the gondola seating done anywhere else? Can't imagine this is a first time design here. How much seating is it really going to add? Not sure if it's cool or too gimmicky. Also not sure about having folks walk out over the crowd on cat walks to get to them.

Does look like it will block the view of the jumbotron, but I don't think it's a big deal assuming there will be television screens on the back of the gondola seating showing exactly what's on the jumbotron.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is the gondola seating done anywhere else? Can't imagine this is a first time design here. How much seating is it really going to add? Not sure if it's cool or too gimmicky.

It was directly taken/influenced from the Bell Center in Montreal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It was directly taken/influenced from the Bell Center in Montreal.

The Xcel Center in Minnesota has extremely steep seating as well. They have said a lot about the Bell Centre, I think they are lifting things from Minny as well when I look at this layout. Since those are pretty much regarded as the two best hockey viewing barns in the league it is really encouraging.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The Xcel Center in Minnesota has extremely steep seating as well. They have said a lot about the Bell Centre, I think they are lifting things from Minny as well when I look at this layout. Since those are pretty much regarded as the two best hockey viewing barns in the league it is really encouraging.

That's so true. I had first row seats in the top section for a game and it felt like you were suspended right over the ice. It was such a terrific view of the entire ice, despite it being so high up.

If it's anything like that, fans will be very happy with the views.

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
Is the gondola seating done anywhere else? Can't imagine this is a first time design here. How much seating is it really going to add? Not sure if it's cool or too gimmicky. Also not sure about having folks walk out over the crowd on cat walks to get to them.

Does look like it will block the view of the jumbotron, but I don't think it's a big deal assuming there will be television screens on the back of the gondola seating showing exactly what's on the jumbotron.

The Gondola is in place and ready to go. The seats directly behind the gondola will not be able to see the scoreboard; however, there are large TV's going in behind them. You won't see people really walking on the catwalks. I'd imagine if there was a need, but there really isn't much of a place to "hide" up there besides overtop of the scoreboard. The cool part about it is that you can see the people going in and out of the press box/owner suites. That is unless they block the view, which I doubt because of the framing and drywall is in place.

I wish I could post the pictures of taken from inside, but it's been made clear that if they catch anyone posting pictures that we'd be out of there quickly. I've heard of 3 guys thrown out already. I can answer any questions you guys have.

As of right now, the ice is not down yet but the cooling coils are being tested. I haven't been over to the practice ice since they started testing, but the main ice has a huge raised tarp over the top of where the ice surface will be.

There's another cool feature that IMO is a terrible idea. Both the tunnels leading out of the arena towards the locker rooms will be glassed off. This means that the fans can watch the players go in and out of the locker room. During the game though, this area will be open with concessions via sliding glass walls.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
There's another cool feature that IMO is a terrible idea. Both the tunnels leading out of the arena towards the locker rooms will be glassed off. This means that the fans can watch the players go in and out of the locker room. During the game though, this area will be open with concessions via sliding glass walls.

I'm pretty certain they have something like this in Toronto. It really is to just make the fans feel connected. I think it is a cool idea.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

I know this exists elsewhere as I remember seeing footage of it sometime or other (IIRC it was in some restaurant/season ticket lounge area). If it's open during the games - what happens if a player is hurt or an irate player is kicked out of the game and needs to head back to the dressing room? Do they walk through the concession crowds or have to wait until it's blocked off? I'd like the idea of it was a permanent tunnel - but it would also be neat if it was that glass that can go opaque at the flip of a switch. So except for when the players enter and leave at beginning and and of periods it would be fogged.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know this exists elsewhere as I remember seeing footage of it sometime or other (IIRC it was in some restaurant/season ticket lounge area). If it's open during the games - what happens if a player is hurt or an irate player is kicked out of the game and needs to head back to the dressing room? Do they walk through the concession crowds or have to wait until it's blocked off? I'd like the idea of it was a permanent tunnel - but it would also be neat if it was that glass that can go opaque at the flip of a switch. So except for when the players enter and leave at beginning and and of periods it would be fogged.

I mean if restaurant bathrooms can get this tech, I feel like it's reasonable in a billion dollar arena.

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007

That's exactly why I don't care for it. Players needing to go to the locker room during the game do not need to be disturbed by fans. At least the crowd will be somewhat controlled. The only way to get into that area is with the two entrances about 6 rows up from the ice.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
nbPUVyW.gif

If they could turn it opaque it'd be cool, but from how that's described that doesn't sound like a very good feature. I'd like to get a visual on what exactly you're saying.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
nbPUVyW.gif

If they could turn it opaque it'd be cool, but from how that's described that doesn't sound like a very good feature. I'd like to get a visual on what exactly you're saying.

Sounds like we're getting something like this - I don't like it - Go to 46s mark

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, yuck. I see how they think it's more fan immersive but I would hate that as a player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Almost all the new arena's since ACC have box areas for lower bowl seating. It creates an area where fans are going to be by players. I am assuming LCA will also have this aspect, people who pay the cost to be down there aren't exactly the guys you expect to stage some sort of protest...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
From the virtual view it makes it seem like the rink is miles away from the nosebleeds.

Hope that isn't the case.

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007

That's actually not the press box. That is on top of the press box up near the scaffolding so the view is a little different. The sight lines are high but not to the point it would make the players small.

Good news though guys! The first ice over on the main rink has been completed. The coils are working strong and it actually felt cool in there today.

off topic: That girl standing besides the ladder as the camera passes by is a real b***h. She's in my department, but thankfully not working with me anymore. In fact, she's basically been blacklisted by all of the teams so they have her off doing wire terminations by herself.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That's actually not the press box. That is on top of the press box up near the scaffolding so the view is a little different. The sight lines are high but not to the point it would make the players small.

Good news though guys! The first ice over on the main rink has been completed. The coils are working strong and it actually felt cool in there today.

off topic: That girl standing besides the ladder as the camera passes by is a real b***h. She's in my department, but thankfully not working with me anymore. In fact, she's basically been blacklisted by all of the teams so they have her off doing wire terminations by herself.

You work on the arena? Cool. What did that woman do :laugh:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The show on NPR 101.9 this morning was a topic about city government subsidies for new arenas with a lot of talk on the redwings pistons arena. It was pretty interesting I think it was the Tavis Smiley show which will probably be made for download at some point.

I learned that the old arena contract had a portion of ticket sales going to the city but the new arena contract removes that, all profit goes to Olympia Entertainment, zero to the city on the new deal, so the city has to hope the tax and business economics of the development will trickle back to them to cover the 400 million + and beyond.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The show on NPR 101.9 this morning was a topic about city government subsidies for new arenas with a lot of talk on the redwings pistons arena. It was pretty interesting I think it was the Tavis Smiley show which will probably be made for download at some point.

I learned that the old arena contract had a portion of ticket sales going to the city but the new arena contract removes that, all profit goes to Olympia Entertainment, zero to the city on the new deal, so the city has to hope the tax and business economics of the development will trickle back to them to cover the 400 million + and beyond.
Which it won't. One of these days, it would be nice if cities started growing a spine, and making these greedy swindlers pay for their own playpens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->