TV: The Nevers (HBO)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This show is in an unfortunate position - Whedon stepped away from it last year, so they didn't get the full benefit of his talents, but still got his stink on it.

Still, magic+steampunk sounds rather cool.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I enjoyed the second episode even more...

Honestly, the little bit about the making of the event after the episode, there's such great work in this when it comes to set design and wardrobe etc. If not for Whedon's reputation, it could win some awards for them alone. There's some really great moments in this episode and Penance is just a wonderful character. Thick accent though. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: trostol and Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, 2 episodes in...really digging this show.

Also, if you're a fan of redheads...I have a feeling you'll like this show a lot.

Reactions: trostol and Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, 2 episodes in...really digging this show.

Also, if you're a fan of redheads...I have a feeling you'll like this show a lot.

I hadn't checked out the cast before and for some reason thought Penance was played by Amy Manson because she played Merida from "Brave" on Once Upon A Time. So Ann Skelly is a new name for me. I hope she can do non-Irish accents. :laugh: Amy Manson is killing it as the baddie.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I hadn't checked out the cast before and for some reason thought Penance was played by Amy Manson because she played Merida from "Brave" on Once Upon A Time. So Ann Skelly is a new name for me. I hope she can do non-Irish accents. :laugh: Amy Manson is killing it as the baddie.

Yeah, I've enjoyed the acting so far, quite a bit. The two leads have been great, I really dig that evil doctor, and the playboy dandy...what's his name...the Dorian Gray caricature...has been entertaining as well. And that politician with Dr. House vibes.

When you have lots of relatively obscure actors and yet the level of acting is high, I think the director has to get a lot of the credit.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, I've enjoyed the acting so far, quite a bit. The two leads have been great, I really dig that evil doctor, and the playboy dandy...what's his name...the Dorian Gray caricature...has been entertaining as well. And that politician with Dr. House vibes.

When you have lots of relatively obscure actors and yet the level of acting is high, I think the director has to get a lot of the credit.

Pip Torrens, who was also in Preacher ("the penis head").

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The pilot seemed like it threw a lot of stuff at you and don’t really get into any characters. I’ve read there’s a lot of that in this season but still intend to give it a chance.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Another good episode...that fight on the lake was pretty awesome - never seen anything like that before.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another good episode...that fight on the lake was pretty awesome - never seen anything like that before.

That was f***ing amazing! :amazed:

This show is still in world building mode and according to critics, will still be on it in episode 4, which is how much they've seen of this. I am beginning to love this world they're building. And I'm hating Whedon more and more because if his name wasn't attached to this, a lot more people would be talking about it. Mary Brighton.. :cry:

Reactions: Kurtz

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I heard about this one a while ago but then forgot the specifics. When that Victorian era Netflix show The Irregulars came out a few weeks ago I thought that's what it was and was disappointed after I quit that one like 5 minutes in. Happy I stumbled on this thread and remembered that this is the show I was looking forward to.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Last episode had some weird bits with Penance's motivation to help Madalie and this name Galanthi dropped out of nowhere but the "making of" segment after the episode showed they were planning to shoot the hanging scene at Westminster but Covid shutdown production for 6 months so they built a new set and CGI'd the crowd mostly.

New showrunner and confirmation that the second half of the season has been in pre-production since January at least:

Joss Whedon Series 'The Nevers' Taps Philippa Goslett as Showrunner - Variety

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well that episode did not go AT ALL as I expected. :amazed: I do hope there's isn't any future parts more as that was a bit confusing. Nice to see Claudia Black again. Laura Donnelly is proving to almost be a better actress than her Outlander co-star Catriona Balfe. "World class tits" is not her only attribute.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well that episode did not AT ALL as I expected. :amazed: I do hope there's isn't any future parts more as that was a bit confusing. Nice to see Claudia Black again. Laura Donnelly is proving to almost be a better actress than her Outlander co-star Catriona Balfe. "World class tits" is not her only attribute.

Yea that first act...not great. But got much better in the acts thereafter. And I'd have to agree, Laura Donnelly's acting was superb.

Oh, and I liked the payoff from all the little hints her character dropped in the earlier episodes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00