The ending Matt Duchene thread (Duchene traded to Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So Wennberg has been invisible the first 2 games , he's been terrible on faceoffs , and he's getting knocked off the puck to start the season . Hopefully after the game tonight , management adds a little more to a deal with Colorado , so we can get this deal done . I would probably include Karlsson instead of Murray , and the way Milano has improved , makes me leery of moving him , maybe Bjorkstrand , instead . I do think Anderson, and Boone will help a lot in bringing a more heavy game . I just don't see this team beating the elite teams , with our current makeup , down the middle . You know how u get Panarin shots on goal, first of all that involves winning face offs , and aside from Duchene being a much better offensively player than Wennberg, he's an elite face off man , that wins nearly 2/3 of his face offs .

It's been two games...

Reactions: The Bread Man

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So Wennberg has been invisible the first 2 games , he's been terrible on faceoffs , and he's getting knocked off the puck to start the season . Hopefully after the game tonight , management adds a little more to a deal with Colorado , so we can get this deal done . I would probably include Karlsson instead of Murray , and the way Milano has improved , makes me leery of moving him , maybe Bjorkstrand , instead . I do think Anderson, and Boone will help a lot in bringing a more heavy game . I just don't see this team beating the elite teams , with our current makeup , down the middle . You know how u get Panarin shots on goal, first of all that involves winning face offs , and aside from Duchene being a much better offensively player than Wennberg, he's an elite face off man , that wins nearly 2/3 of his face offs .
You realize that Wennberg took pretty much all of the draws against Tavares and Toews right. Ya know, two players who are over 60% throughout their entire nhl career. Nobody even comes close to taking as many draws as Wennberg did against those two.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
It's only two games but after watching the game last night you get the sense that we're overmatched in the skill game. If what we see last night holds true across a number of games the team as currently constructed will be good but not great. Ryan Murray has been floated as the centerpiece in a deal for MD. Problem is Ryan Murray has looked like one of our top defensemen. we're now in a box even if we sent Carlsson or Nutivara to the Avs we're screwed on the salary side of the equation. Even if the AVS retain some salary it just kicks the problem down the road. One other note we've presently got too much youth playing. Getting Jenner and Anderson back will fix that; but then who sits? Milano has long been rumored as part of a package for MD. Despite the two goals he's scored so far I think he should remain in the mix going the other way. MD's skill, scoring and experience certainly outweigh anything we lose by shipping out Milano. IMHO MIlano was indirectly responsible for the first two Chicago goals last night. His failure to make the simple play and clear the puck led to the first goal and him getting beat and ending up on the wrong side of the puck led to the penalty and ensuing powerplay goal. Would be interesting to understand where Jarmo's head is at after these first two games...

Reactions: The Bread Man

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Nothing like making your opinion up after two games, Wemnberg is how old? Like I said before, if that first line isnt scoring goals, who is putting up the points? It is possible to be in favor of acquiring Duchene without constantly shitting on other players as thr argument. This team needs more Wennberg's not the opposite

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nothing like making your opinion up after two games, Wemnberg is how old? Like I said before, if that first line isnt scoring goals, who is putting up the points? It is possible to be in favor of acquiring Duchene without constantly ****ting on other players as thr argument. This team needs more Wennberg's not the opposite

All we have is 2 games . I'm not dogging Wennberg, he's just not a number 1 center , and should be our second line center, with Dubi being on 3rd line. He's currently winning 34% of his faceoffs , which is flat out brutal. The blue jackets should be trying to run their first line offense thru Panarin, and let him shoot the puck similar to Washington, with Ovechekin. Panarin has had 2 shot opportunities in the first 2 games , so aside from being brutal on the faceoffs , he's not getting his linemates involved. Cam has had some shot opportunities , but they have come from Panarin . I find it funny that many of the people crapping on Korpi for one game , are giving Wennberg a pass. Once again, it's not about Wennberg though , he's being asked to play a line higher than he should , same as dubi, and Foligno has probably been our best center, and has had to cover the third line duties . We need to get Duchene, RNH , or someone to bolster the center position

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
All we have is 2 games . I'm not dogging Wennberg, he's just not a number 1 center , and should be our second line center, with Dubi being on 3rd line. He's currently winning 34% of his faceoffs , which is flat out brutal. The blue jackets should be trying to run their first line offense thru Panarin, and let him shoot the puck similar to Washington, with Ovechekin. Panarin has had 2 shot opportunities in the first 2 games , so aside from being brutal on the faceoffs , he's not getting his linemates involved. Cam has had some shot opportunities , but they have come from Panarin . I find it funny that many of the people crapping on Korpi for one game , are giving Wennberg a pass. Once again, it's not about Wennberg though , he's being asked to play a line higher than he should , same as dubi, and Foligno has probably been our best center, and has had to cover the third line duties . We need to get Duchene, RNH , or someone to bolster the center position
The problem is you are saying he is not a number one center after two games when he had a very promising season last year. He is also playing with a completely new player, surprise surprise they arent lighting it up after two games coming off a back to back playing against a team away that just beat the Penguins 10-1. The problem here isnt Wennberg, as the only positive thing we can look to for offense is that first line. Just how we werent the best team when we beat the Islanderd 5-0, we arent the worst team now when we lost 5-1. Korpisalo gave up some bad goals, its not fair to say he is awful but he did play pretty badly. The third and fourth goals were not good enough positionally from him. Duchene isnt going to just make this team amazing and win every game, there needs to be more offense but this team probably isnt a Cup contender being the youngest in the lesgue either.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Chill man, it's a long season. We're basically playing with our injured lineup. Hannikainen and Dalpe will be in the minors when Jenner and Anderson come back. I guarantee the game last night goes differently with those two out there banging bodies.
The problem is you are saying he is not a number one center after two games when he had a very promising season last year. He is also playing with a completely new player, surprise surprise they arent lighting it up after two games coming off a back to back playing against a team away that just beat the Penguins 10-1. The problem here isnt Wennberg, as the only positive thing we can look to for offense is that first line. Just how we werent the best team when we beat the Islanderd 5-0, we arent the worst team now when we lost 5-1. Korpisalo gave up some bad goals, its not fair to say he is awful but he did play pretty badly. The third and fourth goals were not good enough positionally from him. Duchene isnt going to just make this team amazing and win every game, there needs to be more offense but this team probably isnt a Cup contender being the youngest in the lesgue either.
Two new players, Wennberg has never centered a line with Atkinson.

Last edited:

v3rs3

Nov 30, 2008
Columbus, OH
Ryan Murray has been floated as the centerpiece in a deal for MD. Problem is Ryan Murray has looked like one of our top defensemen.

He was great last year as well. I don't understand why we would want to get rid of him unless it purely a future salary cap move.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
He was great last year as well. I don't understand why we would want to get rid of him unless it purely a future salary cap move.
The perceived need at C along with the availability of MD come at a cost; MD is a 6 mil cap hit for at least next two seasons. Jackets would need to shed $ to bring him onboard. Avs want a young D, Murray is at 3mil in a contract year. Seem like logical dance partners; Problem is you are correct Murray is playing better albeit 2 games in. Losing him could cause more problems than we think. Seems to be carrying Carlsson to some degree IMHO and did the same with Nutivarra last year. Not sure I like a combination of Nuti,Carlsson, Harrington on our bottom pair.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
IMO we are stronger at Center this year as Foligno is better than Wild Bill even though its not Nick's natural position. Still it's our weakest position (backup netminder notwithstanding) in part because our Center speed does not match up with the speed at wings (e.g. Cam, Panarin, Milano, Bjork).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You are suggesting getting RNH improves in Wennberg... our non centers are better centers then RNH would be in our top 6. He's not in the top 6 of any contending team. He's an ideal 3c at this point.

After only 2 games there's no reason to panic. We lost to a team that has been a consistent winner the past decade and have great chemistry. We didn't play like we did night 1 and I think it's a good loss to have under our belts. It's to a western conference team that would have a reasonable chance at beating us with a full roster. It showed us after a great opener we aren't hot shit and have a lot of work to do.

The only thing to say about the trade is it's great Milano is leading the team in goals and our D pieces have played well. I'm not really open to a trade now that the season started let's give it 25 and see what we have.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm not really too keen on increasing the price to acquire Matt Duchene, based off of 1 loss, to be honest. I'm in a wait and see mode. Goodness, some people over-react too soon.
I'm not basing it off one loss, I've been pushing hard for Duchene , for months . It's not a jab at Wennberg, but Duchene is a much better player , in nearly every facet of the game . Dramatically better faceoff man , drastically better goal scorer, much more aggressive offensively, and will break down the defense with his aggressiveness , which leaves open passing lanes . Also Duchene is much faster , and a better transition player . Wennberg is probably more sound defensively .

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I was a huge fan of trying to get Duchene but now I'm not so sure. As others have said Murray has looked like our best defenseman, and I still think he can be a number 2/3 guy. We don't need Werenski to be a number 1/2 D right now, I would like to see Murray get a chance with Jones, (even though Jones has been underwhelming) to be that solid first pairing. As another poster said earlier Milano still hasn't impressed me too much, sure he has the two goals but both of his goals he was not the person making the scoring chance. I still think he does too much with the puck, and he needs to learn to stay on his feet.

I'm not worried too much about the Chicago game, a back to back versus a good team at home is not the worst way to lose. I'm a little concerned about Korpisallo playing a lot of games, we can't play Bob every night, but whenever Korpisallo plays I don't feel safe or confident we will win even against bad teams. I hope the players don't feel the same way as me.

The team is young which is good and bad, but having "veteran" guys like Jenner and Anderson in the lineup will make the growing pains much much easier.

I don't know how much I like Atkinson with Wennberg. Sometimes people just don't play well together (Saad Johansen being another example). I also think having Cam on a different line balances the scoring better than what we have.

Panarin is a great playmaker and I never realized it until I have watched him consistently. I think having a finisher such as Bjorkstrand on that line could make them super dangerous.

I'm hoping we see something around this going forward:

Panarin-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Dubois-Jenner-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Milano
Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Johnson-Carlsson

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
As another poster said earlier Milano still hasn't impressed me too much, sure he has the two goals but both of his goals he was not the person making the scoring chance. I still think he does too much with the puck, and he needs to learn to stay on his feet.
We just have to wait when Torts "love story" with him comes to an end.
Johnson-Carlsson
Poor Gabe then. :)

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
It's only two games but after watching the game last night you get the sense that we're overmatched in the skill game. If what we see last night holds true across a number of games the team as currently constructed will be good but not great. Ryan Murray has been floated as the centerpiece in a deal for MD. Problem is Ryan Murray has looked like one of our top defensemen. we're now in a box even if we sent Carlsson or Nutivara to the Avs we're screwed on the salary side of the equation. Even if the AVS retain some salary it just kicks the problem down the road. One other note we've presently got too much youth playing. Getting Jenner and Anderson back will fix that; but then who sits? Milano has long been rumored as part of a package for MD. Despite the two goals he's scored so far I think he should remain in the mix going the other way. MD's skill, scoring and experience certainly outweigh anything we lose by shipping out Milano. IMHO MIlano was indirectly responsible for the first two Chicago goals last night. His failure to make the simple play and clear the puck led to the first goal and him getting beat and ending up on the wrong side of the puck led to the penalty and ensuing powerplay goal. Would be interesting to understand where Jarmo's head is at after these first two games...

I'm not sure I agree with that. The first goal I think was on Johnson. He left his man wide open to cross the slot and make the hit on Schmaltz. Had he been in position, I don't think the first goal happens. there wasn't anyone within ten-fifteen feet of the guy he should've been covering.

I also think we'll need Milano. I was never super high on him, but I think he's going to be good. Sometimes he does too much, indeed. But it's pretty clear he thinks the game very quickly, and I think he's going to be very successful. To be honest, I'd rather trade Jenner.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

This is not true. Even Murray has said he was shit last year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
All we have is 2 games . I'm not dogging Wennberg, he's just not a number 1 center

Maybe not currently, although that can be debated. Is he a potential top line center? Yes. I'm coming into another round of posts here, so I don't know what the current rhetoric is, but it's debatable how much Duchene would improve the situation over Wennberg.

Duchene is more in the realm of increased depth in the top six than some great improvement over what we already have. To me he's kind of like an upgrade over Dubinsky at this point in his career. Duchene will score about 18-25 goals, win his fair share of faceoffs, and play a decent 2-way game; although he's never been really reliable ending up as plus player. Top six but not some revelation.

If we aren't going to acquire another top six center I'd really like us to work Jenner into that role. I know Foligno is doing a nice job, but that doesn't seem like a long term solution. Maybe it is and this is the way that we can justify his salary. If he keeps playing a good two-way game and wins over 60% of his faceoffs, I'll be thrilled. His point total won't matter as much to me if he's on the right side of the plus/minus total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->