The ending Matt Duchene thread (Duchene traded to Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Going to keep beating this horse until it happens

“I still hear rumblings of the Columbus Blue Jackets being as likely as any team, and I know that there are still a few teams that are keenly interested in Matt Duchene. But when I look at some of the goings on in Columbus, it does make some sense. You’ve got Ryan Murray there, who – he hasn’t been able to stay healthy with the Blue Jackets. Because of that, maybe there’s – I don’t know – it’s just a sense that there’s time for change. You’ve got Josh Anderson there, who I think is a real good young player – he can’t seem to lure the Blue Jackets into a real good contract negotiation, something that they’re both satisfied with.â€

“Well there’s two elements that could be part of a trade scenario,†chuckled Dreger, “And maybe Jarmo Kekalainen can kick in another piece or two and get this thing settled.

“I think Columbus has shown a lot of interest. I know there are other teams as well. But again, what other teams have offered so far clearly hasn’t been at the level of what Joe Sakic wants.

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-and-lebrun-scan-duchene-trade-landscape/

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We are not unlike any other team's fan base. We have those who want to trade everyone and those who want to keep every player for the next ten years. Depending on the deal and what Anderson is asking, I would be all right with a trade if it brought back a 1C and another piece like say Colorado's first. Murray & Anderson for Duchene and their 1st. For all we know Anderson may never score 20 goals a season or reach 50 points.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
We are not unlike any other team's fan base. We have those who want to trade everyone and those who want to keep every player for the next ten years. Depending on the deal and what Anderson is asking, I would be all right with a trade if it brought back a 1C and another piece like say Colorado's first. Murray & Anderson for Duchene and their 1st. For all we know Anderson may never score 20 goals a season or reach 50 points.

Murray and Anderson for Duchene and Colorado's first round draft pick in 2018? Wow, okay.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We are not unlike any other team's fan base. We have those who want to trade everyone and those who want to keep every player for the next ten years. Depending on the deal and what Anderson is asking, I would be all right with a trade if it brought back a 1C and another piece like say Colorado's first. Murray & Anderson for Duchene and their 1st.

Normally you're the one to tell me I'm dreaming, but today I'm telling you. Colorado 1st rounders, even outside of 2018, should be worth a lot more than that. And Colorado won't be good for a very long time and they don't care much for players drafted before 2013, stupid, I know. I don't know if those two even get Duchene.

For all we know Anderson may never score 20 goals a season or reach 50 points.

Put Josh Anderson on a scoring line and I think he has as good or better odds of hitting 20 goals as any other player on the Blue Jackets. Panarin and Atkinson included.

You don't keep every player for the next ten years - my 2019 roster sure didn't. But when you let guys go it better not be the summer before they bust out.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Murray and Anderson for Duchene and Colorado's first round draft pick in 2018? Wow, okay.

Come on man!!

They're not going to give us their first round.

They turned down much more for just Duchene.

I've said this for awhile a very fair trade IMO is this

CBJ - Duchene + 25% retained
COL - Murray + Anderson + defensive prospect + 2018 2nd.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
I said in a previous thread..

Murray + Bjork + 1st... but I am thinking taking away that 1st and putting as a 2nd?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I said in a previous thread..

Murray + Bjork + 1st... but I am thinking taking away that 1st and putting as a 2nd?

I think this is pretty fair.

Duchene, despite his recent bad point totals, is still a good #2 C. I don't think you should give up the the 1st in that deal though. Duchene will be an upgrade on Bjork offensively and defensively.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wouldn't trade Bjorkstrand in any Duchene deal that imo is crazy. I see Bjorkstrand as being a 55-60 point player with 27-32 goals a year which would be what we would expect from Duchene only we would also have to give up Murray and a 1st. But we have PLD/Wennberg/Dubi so we would have to move one of those to wing in which case why not just keep that natural wing in Bjorkstrand. I've been on the trade for Duchene/1B center bandwagon since last TDL but with PLDs progression if the trade isn't right why do it? We went for it early before we had a chance to even see what PLD would look like after dominating the playoffs and he only looks better and is getting a shot tonight to show why he is in the running for 2C out of the gate this year. Trading Murray makes sense because our top 4 is set and we have Carlson who can take his spot and we have ok depth behind him but could be better. I'm not even really interested in trading Milano anymore because from all reports he's looking great and stronger then past years which IMO was his biggest weakness.

I 100% understand give to get BUT why give up so much when the improvement might be so small? Who in your minds are players you are ok with moving in the trade?

Ok with-
Murray
Nutivaara
Stenlund

Maybe-
Jenner
Milano

Names mentioned I'm NOT ok with-
Carlson
Bjorkstrand
PLD
Anderson

My best offer has dropped to Murray, Milano, and a 2nd for Duchene and a 2020 2nd if he doesn't resign.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

The discussion shifted toward the notion that it can be difficult for general managers to make deals in situations like the one Sakic faces with Duchene.

“It’s tough to make trades when you know the value of your asset is lower than it should be,” indicated LeBrun in a general sense. “I don’t know if that’s affecting Sakic as much in this situation. I mean, he played well for Canada at the World Cup of Hockey. He’s an Olympic gold medalist. I think people know that. People understand that if he’s not on a last-place team and he’s on a contender that Matt Duchene is Matt Duchene, his skating ability hasn’t gone anywhere.

“And maybe I’m wrong. But when I talk to other teams – and listen, the Columbus Blue Jackets, I think they view him as the missing piece on a very good hockey team. And they’re not alone. There’s other teams too.

“So I’m not sure that that has been as much of a factor as maybe some people think.”

Thought this was interesting. I really think Duchene could get to and maintain for a few seasons, the level he couldn't in Colorado.

With a little stability and confidence in the team around him it could allow him to achieve his potential.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Duchene is worth humoring simply because his move somewhere is inevitable. I'm not really sold on him, then again I wouldn't mind if he ended up on our team. He's useful, I'm just not sure he's useful after two seasons.

To be honest I was certain Taveres would be re-signed by now. I'm not saying his move is likely (I still think it's almost non-existent) but if the front office even has a hint he could become available......

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Duchene is worth humoring simply because his move somewhere is inevitable. I'm not really sold on him, then again I wouldn't mind if he ended up on our team. He's useful, I'm just not sure he's useful after two seasons.

To be honest I was certain Taveres would be re-signed by now. I'm not saying his move is likely (I still think it's almost non-existent) but if the front office even has a hint he could become available......

That's how I feel regarding Duchene. I like Duchene, I want him on the team. But if Tavares becomes available I'd forever be left with the "what if"

The Tavares situation really is going to be dependent on them getting their arena situation figured out.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
If giving up Carlsson is the snag on getting Duchene, then I guess all this talk about the Jackets window opening is all BS. There has to be more to it than just Carlsson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If giving up Carlsson is the snag on getting Duchene, then I guess all this talk about the Jackets window opening is all BS. There has to be more to it than just Carlsson.

Its probably not the snag. He was already included in all the summer rumors instead of Murray.

It's the additional Bjorkstrand and a 1st part that is the snag, that and the fact that the cheap Avs don't have interest in taking a salaried player back.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Its probably not the snag. He was already included in all the summer rumors instead of Murray.

It's the additional Bjorkstrand and a 1st part that is the snag, that and the fact that the cheap Avs don't have interest in taking a salaried player back.

I know I am crazy, but I'd rather have Carlsson than Duchene. I'm just not a fan of giving up a big, good skating defenseman who is young and cheap. Especially for a center who is expensive and isn't a for sure #1 center.

IMO, Carlsson will be in our top 4 defensemen (no matter who is on the team) by next year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know I am crazy, but I'd rather have Carlsson than Duchene. I'm just not a fan of giving up a big, good skating defenseman who is young and cheap. Especially for a center who is expensive and isn't a for sure #1 center.

IMO, Carlsson will be in our top 4 defensemen (no matter who is on the team) by next year.

Duchene makes a bigger impact in the immediate future and probably long term it's worth it. Its giving up Bjorkstrand and a first on top of it (if that's the + on Carlsson) that makes it hard to swallow.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The Tavares situation really is going to be dependent on them getting their arena situation figured out.
With Tavares, teams are already can negotiate an extension if he becomes available right?

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With Tavares, teams are already can negotiate a extension if he becomes available right?

Tavares is already eligible to be extended by NYI and Tavares wants to be there but there is so much uncertainty surrounding the arena that he's gotta tell the management sooner rather than later if he wants to bolt.

If that happens I believe NYI can allow other teams to negotiate with him before they trade but I'm not sure

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Exactly. The hang-up being Carlsson is that they want him instead of Murray, who necessarily clears a chunk of salary/cap for the Jackets.

EDIT: This isn't going to happen now anyway. I don't think the Duchene situation is impacting the Anderson negotiations, and I don't think Duchene is going to end up on the Jackets any time soon.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Sakic at this point reminds me of the guy that you'll see on Pawn Stars with an item that's valuable but not insanely valuable.

Guy: "I want $55,000 for this."

Rick: "Okay, well, there are a few problems. I've had one of these before and it took forever to sell. It's a niche item, and people don't come into my shop looking for these. And there have been a few that have turned up at auction recently. One sold for $10,500; one sold for $11,000; one that was in pristine condition sold for $13,000. This isn't in pristine condition, so the best I could do is $7,000."

Guy: "No way, I had three different people offer me more than $40,000 for it just a month ago!"

Rick: "Then go chase them down and see if they'll still offer that much, because you will absolutely not get a better offer for this item."

Guy: "No really, one guy was like 'whoa, I've never seen one of these before!' and he offered me $60,000 on the spot. I've got all these other offers for it that I'd have to go through before I'd even think about $7,000."

Rick: "Sure, and it's a neat item, but I couldn't come close to those offers. The market's just not there."

Guy: "Yeah, he had $60,000 in cash and everything."

Rick: "I hope you got his info so you can call him up and take that offer. I'm not going any higher than $7,000."

(Long pause)

Guy: "Yeah, I can do $7,000."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad