The Narcissist Lex Luger

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Short Fan-favorite, but never achieved, what he could.

Transformation from heel to All-American Hero (replacing Hulk Hogan) was made with this famous body slam of Yokozuna. It was clear, that there was a little help from the Japanese Monster. But anyway. Big promo before Summer Slam, one big match and the career began to fall down.

Legal issues and health issues.

Was there any chance, that he could be longer a fan-favorite? Or why it ended so early?

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Vince didn't put the belt on him at Summerslam because he wanted to stretch the feud out until WM10. I always thought it was odd they celebrated like he'd won the thing. Confetti and all.

Something changed between then and WM.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The countout 'win' at SummerSlam was the wrong decision. If they didn't want to put the belt on him yet and extend the feud then they really needed some kind of screwy finish where Luger was protected, like a DQ of some sort.

The other issue was that Bret was still around and the crowd really preferred him over Lex (see the stupid '94 Rumble finish). The 'story' going into WM X was that Luger was supposed to beat Yoko first to hold the belt until he lost it to Bret at the end, but Luger blabbed to someone at a bar leading up to WM so the finish of the Luger/Yoko match was changed.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I served him at a Cheesecake Factory about 15 years ago. Really nice guy.

I believe he's really taken to DDP Yoga to help with physical issues.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Luger was a massive face in WCW after he left WWE. Even when you got into terrible late 90s era he was still massively over. Every single time he had a match and got someone into the torture rack the place exploded.

He could have been absolutely massive in WCW, if they actually followed up on his wins again the nWo. You can argue that he was used for a set up for Sting, but they mugged that up too. They mugged everything up which is why it was terrible, but Lugar was right there for them to go all in with at any point and they never did.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Luger didn't really get over as a face the way WWF wanted. Think something akin to Reigns, except back then WWF had to actually listen somewhat instead of forcing their hand selected top star down throats. Luger had the look that Vince coveted, but he was always pretty lacking in charisma. Bland in ring work, bland promos, low charisma.

The best part of Lex Luger as "The Narcissist" though was the way Vince McMahon pronounced the word "narcissist". I don't know that he had ever heard it before. Theeee narrrrCISSist! I do like "The Narcissist" as a wrestling moniker.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lex was bland in a lot of ways. He didn't get over as "The Narcissist" despite having Curt Hennig put him over at Mania (Hennig was still a big deal at this time). They thought he could replace Hogan, and that didn't work. As others said, that was in part to not putting the belt on him at Summerslam, and in part to him simply not connecting well with the overall fanbase at the time, who seemed to be looking for something other than rooting for the red, white and blue. Bret Hart quickly overtook him in popularity, and after Mania X they didn't know what to do with him. They put him in the tag team with Davey Boy Smith but that never took off either. It felt like what it was - a tag team for two singles guys who were stuck in limbo. The best thing Luger could have done was leave, he was back in the main event mix the minute he stepped into WCW, and he had a huge surge in popularity when he stood up to the NWO and beat Hogan for the belt. If he didn't drop it 10 minutes later it might have helped him sustain some momentum.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
A natural heel who was quite solid in that role. In '88 WCW turned him face with the idea of him fighting against the Horsemen for most of the year, then beating Flair for the title at Starrcade. But he didn't have that natural engaging charisma that top babyfaces needed. His run was a disappointment, fans decided they liked Sting better, and Luger didn't win the title from Flair.

Similar situation in '93, was starting to gain momentum in WWF as this unstoppable conceited heel. But Vince wanted him to be the next Hogan, so they rushed him into this patriotic hero character that fell flat.

While still a star, his career hadn't lived up to expectations. By that time he was starting to get a reputation as "the can't-miss prospect who did miss", and it can be tough to shake a label like that once it sticks.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
"The story goes", if it's to be believed, that he let slip he was slated to win the belt (whenever it was) and when Vince found out the plans were changed.

He was pretty over as a face but I don't think he could have been THE huge guy. He could have been a believable champion, sure, but he wasn't going to become the next Hogan. For me, I never really cared about him one way or the other no matter where he was or what his gimmick was.

I remember the mispronunciation of "Narcissist" as well, even Heenan would say it that way when rambling on about how great he was. "Just take a look at this guy! Nar-CISSUS!"

I got to meet him on The Lex Express, too! Haha

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I always liked Lex and thought he deserved a run with the WWF belt, still that All American Lex Luger was very cheesy.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Ummm... Luger had some "problems" back then. There's reasons why Bish didn't want him back.

And that's all I'll say about it.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Ummm... Luger had some "problems" back then. There's reasons why Bish didn't want him back.

And that's all I'll say about it.
Bischoff has said that he couldn't stand Luger in WCW around '91 or '92. He considered him conceited and arrogant, and thought the "narcissist" gimmick in WWF was right on the money as an accurate portrayal of who he was.

He didn't want him to come back to WCW in '95, but Sting had been asking him to meet with Luger. Solely out of respect for Sting, Bischoff agreed to meet with Luger; but planned to offer him a lowball contract he was confident would be rejected. Luger surprised him by accepting it. He was desperate to get his career back on track, and willing to initially take less money while rebuilding his reputation.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Him and Sting where bodybuilding bros if not for that he never would be given a spot in WCW, limited performer but as a kid he played a vital role in developing my body dysmorphia that kept me in the gym for ten plus years, for that I thank Lex.

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Never really cared for Luger. He was just kind of there, especially in his NWO Wolf Pack days.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Bischoff has said that he couldn't stand Luger in WCW around '91 or '92. He considered him conceited and arrogant, and thought the "narcissist" gimmick in WWF was right on the money as an accurate portrayal of who he was.

He didn't want him to come back to WCW in '95, but Sting had been asking him to meet with Luger. Solely out of respect for Sting, Bischoff agreed to meet with Luger; but planned to offer him a lowball contract he was confident would be rejected. Luger surprised him by accepting it. He was desperate to get his career back on track, and willing to initially take less money while rebuilding his reputation.
I think that worked out as a win/win to be honest.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My 2 cents is the Narcissist was a great character for Lex Luger because Lex was a terrible promo and needed somebody to speak for him. All American Lex Luger failed due to the lack of charisma Lex had. What was even worse to me was during this time period the WWF lacked any good heels and they should have put the belt on a heel Lex Luger and gave him a run against the top babyfaces.

Vince made the mistake of putting an emphasis on selling merchandise over creating a product that would sell House Show tickets, hence anytime a guy would get over he would turn them face(Razor Ramon, HBK, Diesel, Undertaker, hell you can even make an argument Evil Doink was a much better heel character then Good Doink), leaving them with no top heels thus no matches that would sell a PPV or ticket to a House House

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
say what you want about his ability (or lack there of), but he was over as all hell in that Great American Bash match against Flair. The place went nuts when he got Flair in the torture rack

WWF messed up trying to make him the big face/Hogan 2.0. I remember as a kid the Yokozuna bodyslam on an aircraft carrier and The Lex Express bus

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
say what you want about his ability (or lack there of), but he was over as all hell in that Great American Bash match against Flair. The place went nuts when he got Flair in the torture rack

WWF messed up trying to make him the big face/Hogan 2.0. I remember as a kid the Yokozuna bodyslam on an aircraft carrier and The Lex Express bus
Back then, Flair could have had a match with anybody and got him over.

But, I agree, Lex had talent. Alot of it. His Horsemen turn was white hot and Dusty finally got smart and put him with three guys who would get him over as a monster battling the Horsemen.

Lexs biggest issue was never honing his craft. You had four of the best minds in the business to pick and Lex just didn't care. When he finally realized he WAS a wrestler, his time had past.

And imo, the lex express was a flop. I did think his last wcw run was quite good

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Back then, Flair could have had a match with anybody and got him over.

But, I agree, Lex had talent. Alot of it. His Horsemen turn was white hot and Dusty finally got smart and put him with three guys who would get him over as a monster battling the Horsemen.

Lexs biggest issue was never honing his craft. You had four of the best minds in the business to pick and Lex just didn't care. When he finally realized he WAS a wrestler, his time had past.

And imo, the lex express was a flop. I did think his last wcw run was quite good

definitely agree his undoing ultimately was not being one of the boys. He didnt grow up loving wrestling and never got the business. He also was not built for the road.

Lesnar share many of those same traits...just so happens he is in an era where you dont have to live on the road and run all the towns to make money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->