OT: The Music Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Saw them at great woods for the Dreams tour. Late 80s? i think. Was with Dickie and Warren Haynes (pre-Derek Trucks). They were unbelievable. So many good songs. Blue Sky, Dreams, One Way out, Revival, Mountain Jam, ...
I saw them at Great Woods a couple of times. Saw then in Nashua NH.

They were a very good live band!

Reactions: Babajingo

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
One of the most haunting records the band ever released, even more than the Tripod album, Alice in Chains's Jar of Flies EP is a record that signaled a dark turning point for the band. Coming off their tour for the Dirt album, the band had fired bassist Mike Starr due to drug use on tour that started to hamper his performance. Drug use that would unfortunately take his life in 2011 at just the age of 44. In Starr's place was former Ozzy Osbourne and Slash's Snakepit bassist Mike Inez. The big story around this period, however, related to legendary frontman Layne Staley. Ever since getting hooked on heroin during their 1992 tour with Van Halen, Staley's health took a nosedive as he was in the grips of addiction that kept getting worse due to his struggles with depression dealing with his new found fame. Something that would only truly become visible when the band did their 1996 MTV Unplugged concert at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, where Staley was gaunt and firmly in the clutches of heroin use and was emotionally broken after the death of his fiancee, yet still put on the performance of his life. In some ways, Jar of Flies, not the eponymous album to come in 1995, serves almost as the last true Alice in Chains album with Staley, playing off what the band experimented with Sap, as the band would shift from it's hard edge, fist pumping, heavy metal rooted sound into a more doom laden affair with their last Staley era release. Despite all of the issues he had, Staley's songwriting and vocal chops are in full force, Cantrell's amazing on guitar whether it is acoustic or electric, Sean Kinney did great on the skins, and Inez fits in seamlessly. Arguably an all killer and no filler affair, despite being predominatly acoustic, tracks like No Excuses, Nutshell, Rotten Apple, I Stay Away, and Don't Follow are all timeless classics that in some form or another have been in the band's live set rotation both before and after Staley's death in 2002. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: aguineapig72

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Recorded in 1977 by Alan Vega and Martin Rev, the eponymous minimalist synth-punk debut album from the band Suicide is one of the most unnerving listening experiences that is both of its time and ahead of its time. Even in 2024, almost 50 years from its release, this album sounds contemporary and it isn't me drinking the Kool Aid of others who said as such of this album. If you took away Alan Vega's lyrics and played only Martin Rev's beats, this could fool someone as a new ambient music album. It's that fresh all these years later. So important was this record, in fact, that it was an inspiration for the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Black Flag, as well as shaped the production direction bands like the Ramones and Television would take with their debut records. The vocals from Alan Vega for the songs are what date it, but only slightly, because the themes and lyrics for the songs are tragically still relevant all these years later. Songs such as Rocket USA, Che, and Girl are all bone chilling in with the way the beat repeats and creates an uncomfortable experience for the listener but can be pleasant to listen to at the same time, weirdly. However none are more uncomfortable than the infamous Frankie Teardrop. A song so morbid and depressing, it is probably one of the most terrifying songs ever recorded to a piece of vinyl. Without spoiling too much, the song is about a 20 year old man who slaves away and doesn't have enough to feed his family and takes a grim turn for the worse. This record isn't one for the weak of heart, especially the aformentioned Frankie Teardrop which I won't be linking because of how jarring, gruesome, and intense it is. If you have the ability to stomach being uncomfortable while listening to some really trippy and experimental music, give it a shot. Otherwise, I highly suggest turning around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad