The MOTHER of all CBA SOLUTIONS - thanks to Go Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Not perfect but here is the framework for a compromise that should satisfy owners, players and fans. This proposal will address and elimniate two of Bob's arguements about why he doesn't support a salary cap system;

Bob does not want a salary cap because he says it does not provide for a free market system. He adds that caps result in high player turnover and is not fair to the fans who want to cheer for their favourite players and not see them traded because of cap problems like other leagues OR to his players who might prefer or want to remain with their teams to maybe bring their families up in one stable environment. We all know the NHL is not a free market system already so adapt the following proposal as a framework for discussion and compromise and BOB should be at least somewhat satisfied with this proposal. I see it as a true compromise that should give everyone close to what they want out of a fair working agreement to both sides.

Gary wants cost certainty.

Fans want to keep their favourite players around for more than an NFL year or two.

Salary Cap / Player Development - CAP % Reduction Proposal

Salary Cap of 53% (32 million hard cap) of annual average team Gross Revenue or approximately 1.4 million average salary based on todays figures but is subject to an annual correction or adjustment. GARY'S HAPPY. (add revised arbitration and reduced entry level contracts.

Player Development % discount from cap. i.e. player is drafted by, signed as a free agent or traded to a team.
- Once he has played for the same organization for 3 years only 90% of his salary counts towards the team cap. (the 10% savings can now be used to pay for other players)
- 4 years played with same team 85% counts towards team cap (15% savings towards other players).
- 5 years played with same team 80% counts towards team cap (20% savings towards other players).
- 6 years 5% each year thereafter etc. etc.
FANS and PLAYERS are happy because unlike the NFL there will be a mechanism that allows players and even encourages teams and players to be more loyal to each other. WIN WIN

Yes, teams will end up paying more than 32 million cap but at least it gives a bone to BOB to get back to the table to negotiate a fair settlement and team budgets will be more balanced and kept in check with a properly structured system.

Bob may not be totally happy as it's still a cap but it eliminates two of his excuses for not wanting a hard cap. This system also rewards the teams that manage their assets properly and put more effort into building a team though the draft, quality coaching and patience and may discourage teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs and formerly the New York Rangers from attempting to outbid teams ala the New York Yankees and from playing veteran based teams while they leave their prospects in the minors or just develop them for other organizations like they have been doing for years. I see this as the best Salary Cap proposal any league has come up with to date. It's the only cap that takes into cosideration everyone concerned. Thanks Go Coyotes for getting us started in the right direction. Maybe we should mediate!

THOUGHTS?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Pretty good proposal. Though, the NHLPA would want a higher cap.

Another benefit would be that players who want out would have alot less options. Teams wouldn't want to take on a big salary which they'd have to pay for in full. That could lead to players signing for less just so if they get unhappy with the team they don't end up on a crappy team with cap room.

Feb 12, 2003
Who wouldn't love to be a fly on the wall in those discussions, better yet to have any direct interaction in them.

I don't mind your idea because I know it contains more flexability than my original proposal did. I'm not sure how detailed they would want to get in the cap working like this, as it might be just as easy to adjust the total cap for my original proposal if you think it is too conservative or liberal.

As an appendage your your proposal, I like the idea of 100% exemption of players breaking into the league with that team, as well as a long term tenure exemption I call the franchise exemption.

Otherwise, I can't complain because it's just basically a more detailed version of earlier proposals. To think, we might agree on something! Now if only Bob & Gary could.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Knob Goodenow and the union are in no way willing to look at anything but status quo or a luxury tax like MLB...Good proposal though, I wish GB and Knob G cared for the game as much as we do...THE FANS!!! Maybe email your proposal to Brian Burke at TSN and maybe he could get it to these two morons...

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
BLONG7 said:
Idiots are everywhere you turn... is there an echo in here???

Its ok. DementedReality is the poster who said he would rather have 40 players over Markus Naslund so don't worry too much about his diagnosis.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Just for the record, dr... status quo=open market system(what union wants) or luxury tax(MLB style) what the union is proposing... that's all I said, there is no lie in that, surely you can see that through your union colour glasses.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
BLONG7 said:
Just for the record, dr... status quo=open market system(what union wants) or luxury tax(MLB style) what the union is proposing... that's all I said, there is no lie in that, surely you can see that through your union colour glasses.
status quo means no change to the current. clearly the players have offered something different than current, hence its NOT status quo.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Its ok. DementedReality is the poster who said he would rather have 40 players over Markus Naslund so don't worry too much about his diagnosis.

so what ? i happen to prefer at least 40 players ovre Markus Naslund.

dr

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
DementedReality said:
status quo means no change to the current. clearly the players have offered something different than current, hence its NOT status quo.

dr

You seem like the sort of person who considers his beat up '83 Reliant "modded" because he put racing decals on the door. Hey, that decal is bad-ass after-market, homie! Repzent!

But ok, fine. The NHLPA is not offering the status quo. The NHLPA is offering a proposal that fails to address any of the issues behind the lockout. Better?

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
eye said:
Not perfect but here is the framework for a compromise that should satisfy owners, players and fans. This proposal will address and elimniate two of Bob's arguements about why he doesn't support a salary cap system;

Bob does not want a salary cap because he says it does not provide for a free market system. He adds that caps result in high player turnover and is not fair to the fans who want to cheer for their favourite players and not see them traded because of cap problems like other leagues OR to his players who might prefer or want to remain with their teams to maybe bring their families up in one stable environment. We all know the NHL is not a free market system already so adapt the following proposal as a framework for discussion and compromise and BOB should be at least somewhat satisfied with this proposal. I see it as a true compromise that should give everyone close to what they want out of a fair working agreement to both sides.

Gary wants cost certainty.

Fans want to keep their favourite players around for more than an NFL year or two.

Salary Cap / Player Development - CAP % Reduction Proposal

Salary Cap of 53% (32 million hard cap) of annual average team Gross Revenue or approximately 1.4 million average salary based on todays figures but is subject to an annual correction or adjustment. GARY'S HAPPY. (add revised arbitration and reduced entry level contracts.

Player Development % discount from cap. i.e. player is drafted by, signed as a free agent or traded to a team.
- Once he has played for the same organization for 3 years only 90% of his salary counts towards the team cap. (the 10% savings can now be used to pay for other players)
- 4 years played with same team 85% counts towards team cap (15% savings towards other players).
- 5 years played with same team 80% counts towards team cap (20% savings towards other players).
- 6 years 5% each year thereafter etc. etc.
FANS and PLAYERS are happy because unlike the NFL there will be a mechanism that allows players and even encourages teams and players to be more loyal to each other. WIN WIN

Yes, teams will end up paying more than 32 million cap but at least it gives a bone to BOB to get back to the table to negotiate a fair settlement and team budgets will be more balanced and kept in check with a properly structured system.

Bob may not be totally happy as it's still a cap but it eliminates two of his excuses for not wanting a hard cap. This system also rewards the teams that manage their assets properly and put more effort into building a team though the draft, quality coaching and patience and may discourage teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs and formerly the New York Rangers from attempting to outbid teams ala the New York Yankees and from playing veteran based teams while they leave their prospects in the minors or just develop them for other organizations like they have been doing for years. I see this as the best Salary Cap proposal any league has come up with to date. It's the only cap that takes into cosideration everyone concerned. Thanks Go Coyotes for getting us started in the right direction. Maybe we should mediate!

THOUGHTS?

I like it... Player's actually earn their salaries...

Brent Burns Beard