"The monster" Jonas Gustavsson - can he be drafted?

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I could be that guy who does facepalm emoticons, or I could be that guy who posts random internet teh funnies.

But I wont.

He is too old to be drafted, he was passed over, hence he being able to sign with a team, if he were draft eligible you would expect him to be a first round pick.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I could be that guy who does facepalm emoticons, or I could be that guy who posts random internet teh funnies.

But I wont.

He is too old to be drafted, he was passed over, hence he being able to sign with a team, if he were draft eligible you would expect him to be a first round pick.

too old? but for example in 2000 there was a 31 years old Defensman Lubomir Sekeras. drafted by Minnesota.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
How does drafting work exactly do junior players sign a contract prior to the draft saying they will play for or be in the system of whatever team that drafts them? Or does it just mean these drafted players are off limits to other NHL teams for a certain number of years? Also how does drafting European players work- do teams just draft whoever they want and hope that these players will be willing to come over and play? What if a European player is drafted but wants to play for a different team than the one he was drafted to does he have a choice?

Analyzer*

How does drafting work exactly do junior players sign a contract prior to the draft saying they will play for or be in the system of whatever team that drafts them? Or does it just mean these drafted players are off limits to other NHL teams for a certain number of years? Also how does drafting European players work- do teams just draft whoever they want and hope that these players will be willing to come over and play? What if a European player is drafted but wants to play for a different team than the one he was drafted to does he have a choice?

A player in Canada plays depending on where he lives (or born ?). So, let,s use me. I was born and live in Ontario, so I'd play for a team in the OHL. If I were born and lived in Montréal, i'd play for a team in the Q

European players are drafted to the CHL, OHL, whichever in the Import draft. They can choose to come over, or stay in Europe. If they do come over, they play for the junior team that drafted them.

Once they're eligible, they're automatically "in" the NHL draft. If a team picks that player, say Montréal picks me. Then they own my rights and I can only sign with them (in the NHL, I can choose to go play in Sweden, or Russia) If I want to play in the NHL, but not with Montréal, I can ask to be traded (which looks bad on me), or do what Blake Wheeler did and wait until a certain period is up and then become a FA.

The time period is different. I believe for the NCAA it's 3 years for a team to sign the player, before the team loses the rights to him and he goes abck into the draft, or can be an FA.

For OHL, WHL, Q, leagues like that, I believe it's 2 years.

I'm tired right now and could have messed up somewhere really bad, but correct, or close to it as I think.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
A player in Canada plays depending on where he lives (or born ?). So, let,s use me. I was born and live in Ontario, so I'd play for a team in the OHL. If I were born and lived in Montréal, i'd play for a team in the Q

European players are drafted to the CHL, OHL, whichever in the Import draft. They can choose to come over, or stay in Europe. If they do come over, they play for the junior team that drafted them.

Once they're eligible, they're automatically "in" the NHL draft. If a team picks that player, say Montréal picks me. Then they own my rights and I can only sign with them (in the NHL, I can choose to go play in Sweden, or Russia) If I want to play in the NHL, but not with Montréal, I can ask to be traded (which looks bad on me), or do what Blake Wheeler did and wait until a certain period is up and then become a FA.

The time period is different. I believe for the NCAA it's 3 years for a team to sign the player, before the team loses the rights to him and he goes abck into the draft, or can be an FA.

For OHL, WHL, Q, leagues like that, I believe it's 2 years.

I'm tired right now and could have messed up somewhere really bad, but correct, or close to it as I think.

Thanks for the answers :)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was wondering this last night...if a player is not drafted at what age is he eligible to sign a contract with an NHL team?

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
For north american players who played hockey in north america the age is 20. So players entering their 21st year cannot be drafted and are free to sign with anyone.

I am not sure what the new european CBA rules are. They might be the same now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For north american players who played hockey in north america the age is 20. So players entering their 21st year cannot be drafted and are free to sign with anyone.

Yea I was wondering about Europeans because I remember guys like Roman Checkmanek getting drafted in their late 20' I believe. I was wondering because Mikko Koskinen is 20 going on 21 and is still eligible.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland

But I wont.

what a gentleman

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Pretty sure that you can't choose not to enter the draft anymore.

If you recall, the Leafs attempted to get Tavares to follow this very route. If you don't want to be drafted, you're not put in the draft... but you also can't step right into the NHL

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If you recall, the Leafs attempted to get Tavares to follow this very route. If you don't want to be drafted, you're not put in the draft... but you also can't step right into the NHL
No, you don't have a choice. Tavares or any other player can't just say he doesn't want to be drafted. Well he can, but it's meaningless.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

For europians it's one year older.

Pretty sure that you can't choose not to enter the draft anymore.

Correct. Came with the new CBA. I might be wrong, but I think guys like Stastny and Hensick (for the Avs) did this in '04 and were both selected in '05. Probably a few more players out there as well.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Can a player not enter the draft on purpose and sign with whatever team he wants once he turns 21?

The players will enter the draft, but they can choose not to sign with the team that drafted them. That will, however, raise serious questions about character, and if they're looking to sign with a certain team, they'll have to be sure the new team actually wants to sign them.

[ungrateful ********, they should be happy a team liked them enough to draft them

captain AARON MAIDEN*

kids :facepalm:

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.

(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

for idiots

CHL / college players eligible for selection in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft must be born between January 1st, 1989 and September 15th 1991 and non-CHL / non-college players born between January 1st, 1988 and September 15th, 1991

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
kids :facepalm:
8.4 Eligibility for Claim.

(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

for idiots

CHL / college players eligible for selection in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft must be born between January 1st, 1989 and September 15th 1991 and non-CHL / non-college players born between January 1st, 1988 and September 15th, 1991

Article 8.4 covers eligibility for the Entry Draft. The eligibility for undrafted players is covered in Article 8.9.

Undrafted players (eligible for the draft, but not selected) may sign as a UFAs (subject to ELS limitations).

Undrafted NA players <20 yo can sign an NHL SPC between the Entry Draft and the start of Juniors.

Undrafted NA players 20+ yo can sign an NHL SPC between the Entry Draft and the start of the NHL Regular Season.

Undrafted Euro players 22+ yo can sign an NHL SPC between the Entry Draft and the start of the NHL Regular Season.

Undrafted Euro players <22 yo are not eligible to play in the NHL.

Note that if an undrafted player does not sign an NHL SPC within those windows, then he may still be selected in the following years Entry Draft (if he remains draft eligible).

CBA Article 8.9 said:
8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the
League unless he:

(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under
Section 8.4; or

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age
20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC
which was signed and registered with the League between the
conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL
Season.

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was
under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC
which was signed and registered with the League between the
conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major
Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout
form, which was signed and registered with the League during
the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and