• CoHL / UHL
  • CHL (Central HL)
  • SHL (Southern HL)
  • WPHL (Western Profesional HL)
  • WCHL (West Coast HL)
  • ACHL (Atlantic Coast HL)
  • WHA2 (World Hockey Association 2)
  • SEHL (South East HL)
As I understand IHL was AAA and all others A. Where all of those A leagues were PRO?
What's up with LNAH? Is it PRO or Semi-PRO?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Most of these were AA level and merged with the now ECHL. The SEHL,ACHL, and WHA2 were A leagues and are now part of the SPHL. I believe that the LNAH is a semi-pro league but I could be wrong.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
The original IHL I believe began as a semi amateur league in the 40s but by the 70s and 80s it evolved into AAA on par with the AHL.
The CHL was AA.
The CoHL/UHL/IHL2.0/WPHL and the WCHL were around High A
The SHL/ACHL/WHA2/SEHL were low A
LNAH is semi pro

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
LNAH is semi-pro in that the teams only practice a time or 2 per week and many of the players have outside jobs, although a lot of the goalies and tough guys make more $ playing there than the ECHL or other leagues. Some guys were making big bucks in years past, more than some AHL'ers or guys in Europe.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
In regards to the IHL, prior to the collapse of the "old" Central Hockey League in 1984, it was a AA league. The "old" CHL was a AAA league (1964 thru 1984). The Southern Hockey League back in the 1970s was also AA.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The CHL wasn't Class AA.

The CHL and the CoHL/UHL/IHL2.0/WPHL and the WCHL were Class A.

The SPHL and its predecessor leagues were/are below Class A.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The recurring issue with fans AND the sports media attempting to rank minor pro hockey leagues is the use of minor league baseball's model to categorize North American hockey. Apples & oranges, balls & pucks.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The recurring issue with fans AND the sports media attempting to rank minor pro hockey leagues is the use of minor league baseball's model to categorize North American hockey. Apples & oranges, balls & pucks.

Ignoring the fact that the ECHL bills itself as the "Premier 'AA' Hockey League", of course...

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
The CHL wasn't Class AA.

The CHL and the CoHL/UHL/IHL2.0/WPHL and the WCHL were Class A.

The SPHL and its predecessor leagues were/are below Class A.

Tell that to guys who actually played in those leagues, I heard many of them myself say there was very little difference. The ECHL, CHL, and CoHL/UHL were at one time extremely close in level of play, and towards the end of the CHL, in my opinion, of course, was the most exciting brand of mid-level minor league hockey. If you classify the ECHL as AA, then you have to include the other two as AA, especially the CHL without a doubt.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
You will get lots of opinions on whether the CHL (UHL, WCHL, etc) and ECHL were at the same level or not. Since there is no real agreed upon definition it is impossible to be definitive. As a fan of an ECHL team, who never watched CHL games I can say that the Royals would occasionally sign players out of the CHL and occasionally former Royals would sign in the CHL, and there was a difference. Top scorers from the CHL would end up on the third line or used as a fill in/healthy scratch in the ECHL and ECHL third liners who were mostly used as defensive forwards/PK were top line players in the CHL, putting up 20-30 goals a season. Obviously this is a small sample size, because I only saw a handful of players make this transition, and individual performance can vary from year to year even playing in the same league. My opinion is that the ECHL and CHL were both "AA", but the talent level was higher in the ECHL overall.

The SPHL and it's predecessor leagues were definitely a step below. I disagree that they are below "A" level though. Top end SPHL players can and do end up earning a spot in the ECHL. Although a first line forward or top pairing defenseman in the SPHL is going to be a 10th forward or 7th defenseman in the ECHL in most cases. Goaltenders are different of course because there are less positions available, and often times contract status takes precedence over skill/talent.

My opinion:
  • Original IHL AAA (at least during the time it was competing with the AHL to sign the same players)
  • CoHL / UHL AA
  • CHL (Central HL) AA
  • SHL (Southern HL) AA
  • WPHL (Western Profesional HL) AA
  • WCHL (West Coast HL) AA
  • ACHL (Atlantic Coast HL) A
  • WHA2 (World Hockey Association 2) A
  • SEHL (South East HL) A

Reactions: mk80 and JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
In lots of cases, sure...but you blamed the fans and sports media for using baseball terms when the ECHL is doing it. So you kind of failed there.
From you, I'll take "kind of failed" as a compliment.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Oh, so you were serious about all that? You would do your fellow members a great favor by making your posts more succinct in the future. Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad