The Mike Smith situation - Injured 14.11

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
What's the latest on Mike Smith y'all? Y'all has to have some sort of information at this time already who's going to play tomorrow etc? Smith out for a couple of games maybe? He is truly a key for this canadian great team now. All information here concerning this new one. Smith got hurt during the game against the Blues 14.11.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No updates yet. Flames haven't released a thing. I kinda suspect that if he were injured, they'd have recalled someone by now, but who knows.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Interesting development. Thank for the quick replies and all that information :clap: Let's hope this guy is healthy as a hogg

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Wouldn’t be surprised if one of Rittich or Gillies is currently otw to Detroit.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wouldn’t be surprised if one of Rittich or Gillies is currently otw to Detroit.

If Smith isn’t travelling with the team (I heard Kerr state this today), I’d say that’s almost a certainty. Although I haven’t seen the Flames make this official.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If there is a recall, it will not be officially done until tomorrow. I would guess the Flames have Gillies on his way to Detroit already to join the team, just in case.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
If there is a recall, it will not be officially done until tomorrow. I would guess the Flames have Gillies on his way to Detroit already to join the team, just in case.
My guess is Rittich. Huska has spoken very highly of his play and said he could see him being the first call up (that was a few weeks ago though). Gillies is getting more of the starts so I can see them letting him continue in the A.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My guess is Rittich. Huska has spoken very highly of his play and said he could see him being the first call up (that was a few weeks ago though). Gillies is getting more of the starts so I can see them letting him continue in the A.
I can't fathom why so many people ride Rittich's jock. He's so damn overrated by Flames fans. Gillies and Parsons are the goalies of the future, Gillies will always get the first look over Rittich.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I can't fathom why so many people ride Rittich's jock. He's so damn overrated by Flames fans. Gillies and Parsons are the goalies of the future, Gillies will always get the first look over Rittich.

Maybe because goalies are voodoo and he’s one of the best goalies in The American Hockey League?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Holy sensitive Batman.

I never said Rittich was better or was ahead of Gillies/Parsons. Rittich has superior stats and has played well enough to get called up as a backup, leaving Gillies to continue to start on the Heat.

Obviously they recalled Gillies because they believe there is a good chance for him to play because of little faith in Lack starting every game and Smith’s injury being serious enough to need a backup over a couple games.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hopefully it's nothing too serious and he's back skating soon. Goalies can be tricky though, especially old ones. It was pretty obvious in the 2nd and 3rd periods of the Blues games the Flames defenders had gotten used to not having to go behind their own goal line on a dump in. Forced into lots of turnovers by the forecheck.

Don't really have any preference between Rittich or Gillies, and guessing Gillies won't see much time in the net anyway.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Holy sensitive Batman.

I never said Rittich was better or was ahead of Gillies/Parsons. Rittich has superior stats and has played well enough to get called up as a backup, leaving Gillies to continue to start on the Heat.

Obviously they recalled Gillies because they believe there is a good chance for him to play because of little faith in Lack starting every game and Smith’s injury being serious enough to need a backup over a couple games.

I'm thinking it's more along the lines of Gillies just had a few starts, this allows Rittich to play for a bit while Gillies sits on the bench.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Holy sensitive Batman.

Rittich is only superior to those who stat watch. If you watch the games that is clearly not true. You know how the Flames went into a defensive shell last game once Lack came in? The same thing usually happens when Rittich plays for the Heat. When Gillies is in they are more comfortable opening up and taking more chances. It may lead to worse stats for Gillies but it tells you how the players and coaching staff feel when the goalies are on the ice

Reactions: DomBarr

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Rittich is only superior to those who stat watch. If you watch the games that is clearly not true. You know how the Flames went into a defensive shell last game once Lack came in? The same thing usually happens when Rittich plays for the Heat. When Gillies is in they are more comfortable opening up and taking more chances. It may lead to worse stats for Gillies but it tells you how the players and coaching staff feel when the goalies are on the ice
Yes, stats don't tell the whole story but his coach speaking highly of him does help. It's similar to the Andersson/Bartkowski situation where the team would probably rather have Andersson play in the top 6 with injuries, but they don't want him sitting as the #7. If the backup being called up isn't expected to play, why bring the best goalie (Gillies) only to have him sit?

Now that we know Smith's injury is a little more serious and there's a chance the backup plays, Gillies makes more sense.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Edit: didnt even see the tweets were already posted

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, stats don't tell the whole story but his coach speaking highly of him does help. It's similar to the Andersson/Bartkowski situation where the team would probably rather have Andersson play in the top 6 with injuries, but they don't want him sitting as the #7. If the backup being called up isn't expected to play, why bring the best goalie (Gillies) only to have him sit?

Now that we know Smith's injury is a little more serious and there's a chance the backup plays, Gillies makes more sense.
Its not the same as Bartkowski and Andersson in the slightest. A prospect practicing and sitting with the team a few guys can help their development. Its sitting all the time that hurts because they can't use the things they do take from practicing with the big club in a game situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad