Rumor: The Mike Reilly Sweepstakes - Rangers out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Respectable isn't the word I'd use to describe him defensively, hes a ****ing space cadet in his own end.

Awards are nice and he did put up a ton of points in college but I have serious doubts about that carrying over. Just as a comparison, Justin Schultz was 3 times the player Reilly is right now when he signed with Edmonton and look at how much hes struggled. Yes part of that has to do with him playing for the Oilers, but I'd expect the same (if not worse) from Reilly no matter where he lands.

And Skjei plays the same side as Mike Reilly so it is a relevant point to bring up. I don't think there is any way Reilly would beat him or anyone the Rangers have out of a spot any time soon.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but besides from you, I havent heard anyone putting down his defensive play.

You should read what people say about him, everyone who watches him speaks pretty highly of his game in both ends.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1723263

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Mike Reilly is no more the second coming of Matt Gilroy than Kevin Hayes was the second coming of Barrett Heisten.

He's a talented defenseman who has progressed thoughout his college career and is a legit NHL prospect. He plays a good transition game and while he didn't leave college with the same level of expectations or hype as Justin Schultz, I think he's a shot to produce at a similar level to what Schultz did in 2014 - without some of the drawbacks.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I think Reilly will want to fit in and not want people to think he gets special treatment or has an advantage because of his father. I think the NYR have as good a chance as anyone right now.

Kevin Hayes didn't get any special treatment. Everything that he got, he earned.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
You lost me. What does that have to do with Reilly's father being a minority owner of the Wild? I don't see the analogy. :dunno:

Oh I didn't read the part you quoted. I was just taking it as people thought he'd come here and get special treatment.

I'm not thoroughly caught up with the player so I didn't know his father was a minority owner.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Oh I didn't read the part you quoted. I was just taking it as people thought he'd come here and get special treatment.

I'm not thoroughly caught up with the player so I didn't know his father was a minority owner.

It's cool. You had me checking Wiki for Hayes' family members, haha. At least now I know Hayes is cousins with Tom Fitzgerald and Keith Tkachuk. :P

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
BTW the other thing about Reilly is that he displaced John Moore in the top 6 for the US that won bronze at the world championships. Now Todd Richards, the CLB coach, was coach of that team, maybe there was some favoritism there, but he looked and played better than John Moore.

Now I've always contended that JMoore was a scrub, but he did have his fans here for a while.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The kid clearly didn't make his choice to pass up Columbus based on wanting playing time, because they have the weakest D corps of the teams he is looking at.

I like our 6 defensemen more than most on here, but with Skjei, McIlrath (maybe) and now potentially this kid, I really wish we hadn't signed Boyle last summer.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYP_Brooksie: Was always a long shot but Rangers have been notified they are out on Mike Reilly.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->