Rumor: The Mike Reilly Sweepstakes - Rangers out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That doesn't state the specific reason for him declining to sign though. It could have been a number of other reasons, it just says he was offered the promise.

He wants to go the Hayes route and play in the NHL right now...

Fine, come here and kick ass... We can trade Klein or Girardi away, then move Yandle and/or McDonagh to the right side. Sign a veteren UFA to a minimum deal for the #6 spot (Maybe Hunwick wants to resign? Or Diaz might want to come back) and boom. stopgaps created. If Reilly comes in and kills it, then we are in good shape.

The real question is if McIlrath can ALSO come in and kill it, never looking back... That would do wonders for the cap of this team...

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Yandle
Klein
Reilly
Hunwick
McIlrath

7 of those 9 all have a very good shot of being on this team next year.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014

Fine, come here and kick ass... We can trade Klein or Girardi away, then move Yandle and/or McDonagh to the right side. Sign a veteren UFA to a minimum deal for the #6 spot (Maybe Hunwick wants to resign? Or Diaz might want to come back) and boom. stopgaps created. If Reilly comes in and kills it, then we are in good shape.

The real question is if McIlrath can ALSO come in and kill it, never looking back... That would do wonders for the cap of this team...

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Yandle
Klein
Reilly
Hunwick
McIlrath

What about Brady Skjei? I think Reilly would seem to be competing directly with him...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
McIlrath and Skjei are his only real hypothetical competition imo

And the team is obviously in a cap crunch.

The Rangers have enormous success with college players and I would think are looking for cost-controlled options at all positions.

Reilly signing actually makes a lot of sense.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
McIlrath and Skjei are his only real hypothetical competition imo

And the team is obviously in a cap crunch.

The Rangers have enormous success with college players and I would think are looking for cost-controlled options at all positions.

Reilly signing actually makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, I think Hayes and Gilroy getting full seasons at the NHL level out of college will be looked upon favorably by Reilly.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Boyle
Yandle
Klein
Reilly
Hunwick
McIlrath

We can??????????

That's awesome.

Should we tear up his NTC or just place it in a paper bag filled with dog **** and light it on fire outside his door, ring the bell and hide in the bushes laughing as he stomps it out?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm probably in the minority but I'd pass on Reilly. He's worse than Gilroy defensively and I don't think the offense will translate.

Skeji is a much, much better prospect IMO.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm probably in the minority but I'd pass on Reilly. He's worse than Gilroy defensively and I don't think the offense will translate.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Huh?

That couldnt be further from the truth. You dont get named the league defenseman of the year 2 years in a row for being poor at defense. Everything I have read about him states he is respectable in his own zone.

And obviously Skeji is the better prospect, but im not sure what that has to do with anything.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Huh?

That couldnt be further from the truth. You dont get named the league defenseman of the year 2 years in a row for being poor at defense. Everything I have read about him states he is respectable in his own zone.

And obviously Skeji is the better prospect, but im not sure what that has to do with anything.

Gilroy won the Hobey Baker, so by this logic he must have been good at defense too.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Gilroy won the Hobey Baker, so by this logic he must have been good at defense too.

He was what..24 when he won it? He was much older than the kids he played against. Never drafted and was a toothpick on the ice. It was pretty obvious his game was never going to translate well at the pro level. Still worth the gamble since it was a free prospect.

Terrible analogy. But I guess since he played in the NCAA too its fun to compare?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Reilly was 5 ft 9 when he was drafted - probably explains why he fell in his draft year. Easily a 1st round talent.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Hopefully he'll sign with us but I think the Wild will be the favorite out of all this just because of his dad.

I think Reilly will want to fit in and not want people to think he gets special treatment or has an advantage because of his father. I think the NYR have as good a chance as anyone right now.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Stralman was definitely buying low, but he wasn't undrafted

During AV's time in Vancouver, 26 of 39 defensemen used were left-handed, representing 65.9% of all games played. Is it possible this board is making this a bigger issue for AV than it really is?

This is more of a new trend. The guy that really went nuts over it is Babcock... who did not have a RH shot for the longest time until Zidlicky last year. Nashville and WSH are big on it too, as are the NYR.

There are 2 reasons for this.

1. When a D is on his off side trying to play a dump in, he has to put his back to the boards. Less vision, more pressure, fear of getting run. So when a team has 6 LHD, what the other team does is dump the puck into the R side and send two forecheckers in. Keep the 3rd man high in the slot. D is more prone to turnover, or getting pinned.

NJ worked this to a tee against Philly in the 2012 playoffs. After that teams were more cognizant of the tactic. That's why the Schenn for JVR trade happened. Gudas for Coburn.. etc etc

2. In the offensive zone this allows for a quicker 5 man cycle. When throwing it to the point D on the off side has to turn his stick and body to play the puck on his backhand. With a speedy forechecker and a bouncing puck, that's a 2 on 1 the other way.

So I for one am absolutely for lining up sticks.

3. The other advantage is faceoff plays (see Stepan OT game 7 winner). Easier off wing one timers. The Rangers need their centers to become better on faceoffs. If Stepan as good on draws, say 55%, then everyone would say he's the Rangers Bergeron.

His magical possession numbers would be greater because he could be counted on to win D-Zone draws and drive possession. Rangers need a RH player who can win draws.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Unable to picture "worst than Gilroy defensively"

stu_bickel_2012_04_23.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Huh?

Respectable isn't the word I'd use to describe him defensively, hes a ****ing space cadet in his own end.

Awards are nice and he did put up a ton of points in college but I have serious doubts about that carrying over. Just as a comparison, Justin Schultz was 3 times the player Reilly is right now when he signed with Edmonton and look at how much hes struggled. Yes part of that has to do with him playing for the Oilers, but I'd expect the same (if not worse) from Reilly no matter where he lands.

And Skjei plays the same side as Mike Reilly so it is a relevant point to bring up. I don't think there is any way Reilly would beat him or anyone the Rangers have out of a spot any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad