The Metro is an absolute bloodbath

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The 1st place team in the mighty Metro would be 3rd in the lowly Atlantic.

The Lightning and Leafs would both be tops of the Metro and Pittsburgh couldn't hold a spot in the Atlantic either (3 pts up on Boston with 5 extra games played).

Get off your high horse. Your division isn't half as good as it what last year.

Now the Central, that's a scary good division.

And the Metro has 8 teams with more points than 5 teams in the Atlantic.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And the Leafs are pretenders, I think the entire NHL has realized that they cannot defend in their own zone. They are going to be a one series and done team in the playoffs.
Hard to say...depends on the matchup.

Personally, I like watching the Leafs because there are lots of chances for both teams. But I do think Anderson can win a series or 2 in the playoffs. They can outscore other teams, or have Anderson stand on his head.

I do think the Leafs will make a trade for Dman at some point...sacrifice some youth for help today.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
And the Metro has 8 teams with more points than 5 teams in the Atlantic.

Great you have more mediocre teams than the Atlantic.

I never called the Atlantic deep. I called the Metro overrated.

And the Leafs are pretenders, I think the entire NHL has realized that they cannot defend in their own zone. They are going to be a one series and done team in the playoffs.

Aren't you getting a little old for fairy tales and myths?

Apparently top 10 in lowest GA/G means they can't defend in their own zone.

The Islanders, Penguins and Devils don't have shaky defence tho. They just magically have a higher GA/G.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ

The Islanders, Penguins and Devils don't have shaky defence tho. They just magically have a higher GA/G.

Apparently years of utter failure and incompetence has still not humbled the Leafs faithful.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
In the old system, only the best team from each division got a top-seed playoff spot, the rest went by entire conference. If we went by the old system you'd have:

1. Tampa Bay (Atlantic)
2. Columbus (Metro)
3. Toronto
4. NYI
5. Washington
6. NJ
7. Rangers
8. Penguins

In this scenario, Boston would be on the outside.

(In the old divisions, the top-3 spots would go to TB, TOR, and NYI - as Columbus was in the West back then. Put them in any division and Boston would still be the one kicked from the playoffs)

It's a good thing that by the end of the season everyone will have played the same amount of games then. Right now Boston and Washington are tied for 5th in Points % in the Eastern Conference.

4 less games than Pittsburgh and are 1 point behind.
3 less than New York and 1 point behind
3 less than The Isle and 3 points behind
2 less than New Jersey and 3 points behind
4 less than Washington and 5 points behind
3 less than Columbus and 5 points behind

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
The 1st place team in the mighty Metro would be 3rd in the lowly Atlantic.

The Lightning and Leafs would both be tops of the Metro and Pittsburgh couldn't hold a spot in the Atlantic either (3 pts up on Boston with 5 extra games played).

Get off your high horse. Your division isn't half as good as it what last year.

Now the Central, that's a scary good division.
What hyperbole. Typical sports board exaggeration when you don't have an argument. You're ability to make logical quantitative comparisons is lacking. If the Central is "scary good" then the Metro must be, uh, "pretty damn good" or something like that.

You're pro Atlantic argument focused on the top two teams, ignoring the rest of the trash.
Congrats, you're in a weak division so you and the Bolts can feast on the other 6. Outside of the Bs the other 5 are garbage w/double digit negative goal diffs. Since early Nov I've been posting that the Atlantic is top heavy w/two good teams (so I'm giving the Leafs their due). Nothings changed since.
Looks like the Leafs will finish Atlantic #2 and will have an easy first round opponent in Atlantic #3. Would be funny if old rival Bs upset you :snide:

Saying I'm on a "high horse" is typical Leafs projecting their O6 or something superiority complex :eyeroll:

Reactions: daveskirtun

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
To be fair, the central has a lot of solid teams but i'd be surprised if any of them won the cup. Maybe Nashville.

The top in the central is looking a lot better than the best the metro has shown so far this season. St.Louis, Winnipeg, and Nashville all have great depth, great impact players, on top of reliable goaltending. Id only definitively put Tampa ahead of those 3 teams right now with Toronto and Columbus being maybe a tier above the jets but below STL and Nsh. Blues have also never really had their lineup at 100% this year and are still chugging along and looking like a top tier team this year while Nashville will have a top pairing Dman rejoin their team come January.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It's a good thing that by the end of the season everyone will have played the same amount of games then. Right now Boston and Washington are tied for 5th in Points % in the Eastern Conference.

4 less games than Pittsburgh and are 1 point behind.
3 less than New York and 1 point behind
3 less than The Isle and 3 points behind
2 less than New Jersey and 3 points behind
4 less than Washington and 5 points behind
3 less than Columbus and 5 points behind

Cool your jets, I was just posting the standings in the old format as they were when I wrote that post. I wasn't claiming thats the way everything would end up at the end.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

lol, every metro team has a winning record vs the atlantic......

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
The top in the central is looking a lot better than the best the metro has shown so far this season. St.Louis, Winnipeg, and Nashville all have great depth, great impact players, on top of reliable goaltending. Id only definitively put Tampa ahead of those 3 teams right now with Toronto and Columbus being maybe a tier above the jets but below STL and Nsh. Blues have also never really had their lineup at 100% this year and are still chugging along and looking like a top tier team this year while Nashville will have a top pairing Dman rejoin their team come January.

STL and NSH have looked amazing, but I don't think you can really consider WPG a threat. Hellebuyck could just be a bit hot and they've never won a playoff series. I think they're realistically at least another year or two away from being a serious SC contender.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Balanced schedules mean poorer hockey. The travel in the Western Conference would be awful....worse then it is now.

As long as the NHL continues with 3 point games, many of the point comparison between teams in different conferences is quite meaningless.
Example: Rangers/Isles, Philly/Caps, CBJ/Pens. all split home and home games.....each team 2 points
Avs/Arizona, Wings/Florida, Sens/Sabres. all split home and home games overtime games. Each teams 3 points each.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
What hyperbole. Typical sports board exaggeration when you don't have an argument. You're ability to make logical quantitative comparisons is lacking. If the Central is "scary good" then the Metro must be, uh, "pretty damn good" or something like that.

Let me get this straight, me saying "half as good as they were last year" is a hyperbole.

But, you saying "the Atlantic and Pacific must be black holes where even light can't escape:eek:" is somehow a logical and well thought out argument?

You're pro Atlantic argument focused on the top two teams, ignoring the rest of the trash.
Congrats, you're in a weak division so you and the Bolts can feast on the other 6. Outside of the Bs the other 5 are garbage w/double digit negative goal diffs. Since early Nov I've been posting that the Atlantic is top heavy w/two good teams (so I'm giving the Leafs their due). Nothings changed since.
Looks like the Leafs will finish Atlantic #2 and will have an easy first round opponent in Atlantic #3. Would be funny if old rival Bs upset you :snide:

I don't have a pro Atlantic argument. I know it lacks depth. My argument is that the Metro is overrated. Like I said having more mediocre teams means nothing. The Leafs and Lightning would both qualify for the playoffs in the Metro and Boston is in a better position than Pittsburgh at the moment.

So congrats, your division has more teams that would "just miss the playoffs" rather than finish bottom 10.

Saying I'm on a "high horse" is typical Leafs projecting their O6 or something superiority complex :eyeroll:

The old "you're a Leafs fan" argument. It's getting really tiresome.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Attachments

• IMG_0263.PNG
    IMG_0263.PNG
    304.1 KB · Views: 12

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
<snip>
The old "you're a Leafs fan" argument. It's getting really tiresome.
What's old and tiresome is hyperbolic posts like yours. Baseless claims about how "great" the Atlantic is :huh:
Like fans who note Caps playoff disappointments every, EVERY time they lose a reg season game vs the Caps.

What's truly bizarre, if not downright mental, are fans from San Jose and Toronto, two recent Caps victims, bringing up playoff loses :whaaa?:
Btw, many fans throughout NA think Leafs fans are arrogant. You don't know that?!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Goalies don't play defense.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
"The Canes beat a division rival today! This should help us gain ground in the Metro standings"

*checks tonight's scores

Rangers: Win
Flyers: Win
Penguins: Win
Islanders: Win
Capitals: Win

Why do we even bother

We take one step forward, and everyone else takes two steps forward.

Just have to keep winning.

Reactions: Wolfpuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->