Pre-Game Talk: The Meth Lab (txs @Bonk), comes to The SENS Den, Fri 7:30 on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's absolutely obscene how Karlsson can play in a system that deflates offensive production, have absolutely everything go wrong, and then (most likely) lead defensemen in scoring again.

He was only something like 0.01 points per game behind Burns last season, which is the only full season he's not lead the league in D points since his first Norris.

Rumour is that EK is going to win the Norris. Because he is due for his 3rd

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If only anyone could have predicted that Ceci would look better without that pylon for a partner...

If we could have predicted that the team would become better and more dynamic without that pylon also.

Even when we lose, at least the look way more conpetitive overall.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Harpur seems to be improving but he needs the ice time to acclimatize to NHL level players who are bigger, stronger, faster and more highly skilled. Chabot needs the same treatment. I would like to see Jaros get some time here too. Good for development and the tank!

He's had a cast on his broken foot for the last month or so, and I suspect he's close to coming back, if he's not back already.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Don't really like Ceci but gotta admit he's been better lately
Probably the Homophobic Sluroof effect
Also EK is so much more into it
No more lazy back check
Dynamic as ever
Covering the Dzone like the Rear-Admiral he is
And his offence has no match in the league
Hoff is a beauty best pure skillz in the team

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci looks like a ****ing animal out there these days. It's like Phaneuf was a weight chained to Ceci's leg.
I really don’t see this. It’s annoying how he skates towards open players to give them the puck like he’s trying to physically bring them the puck. He and harpur are usually a mess in the d zone. Still not much of a toolbox there.

The whole team is playing alright so nearly everyone looks decent.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So apparently we really didn't need Dumont, Thompson, Phaneuf and Oduya...Gaborik has potted a couple but can we really say we need him or Burrows at this point? I'd bet they can be replaced with guys we have going through severe rubber smoke inhalation in Belleville.

I would add Dido to the list but Gaborik could be different in that he has a history of putting up pts in the NHL. He's much older & slower now but seems to still be able to score. Not sure what he could do in a full season next yr but I'm also not sure whether EM would buy him out or if he would retire either & he is signed for a few more yrs. I guess we'll see.

Every time Zack Smith gets on the ice on a PP or in OT I think oh boy here comes "the all hands" team. I think he deserves a nick name .. I like Hands ... maybe he's got some German in him and we can shorten it to Hans.
Maybe Hans Schmidt

What are you talking about Smith has been playing great all over the ice at both ends, it's not going in for him because he doesn't have a setup man like Stone feeding him the puck but he is driving the net, causing havoc in front of opposing goalies, hitting guys something very few on this team do & constantly breaking up plays defensively. He's been great now that he seems fully healthy again. Pyatt is the guy with great speed who accomplishes very little or nothing at all & should be replaced although this line of Paarjarvi - Smith - Pyatt have been good together the last few games. The 4th line needs to be replaced too with the exception of McCormick, I like the way he plays too & he also hits & finishes his checks.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would add Dido to the list but Gaborik could be different in that he has a history of putting up pts in the NHL. He's much older & slower now but seems to still be able to score. Not sure what he could do in a full season next yr but I'm also not sure whether EM would buy him out or if he would retire either & he is signed for a few more yrs. I guess we'll see.

What are you talking about Smith has been playing great all over the ice at both ends, it's not going in for him because he doesn't have a setup man like Stone feeding him the puck but he is driving the net, causing havoc in front of opposing goalies, hitting guys something very few on this team do & constantly breaking up plays defensively. He's been great now that he seems fully healthy again. Pyatt is the guy with great speed who accomplishes very little or nothing at all & should be replaced although this line of Paarjarvi - Smith - Pyatt have been good together the last few games. The 4th line needs to be replaced too with the exception of McCormick, I like the way he plays too & he also hits & finishes his checks.

IMO Smith has had his worst year in a long time. He is better situated on the 3rd line , than up in the top 6. On a good team you'd never see Smith in the top 6 , on the PP, or in 3 on 3 OT. Saying the guy has brutal hands is not a stretch,. He rarely plays as physical as he should.

Stats are not everything and even if Smith is a little more valuable than his stats suggest... He is a replacement level player. Given most of the year he was in the top 6 and seeing PP1 and PP2 time this level of production is not nearly good enough.

2017-18Ottawa SenatorsNHL565131841-25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
IMO Smith has had his worst year in a long time. He is better situated on the 3rd line , than up in the top 6. On a good team you'd never see Smith in the top 6 , on the PP, or in 3 on 3 OT. Saying the guy has brutal hands is not a stretch,. He rarely plays as physical as he should.
I'd like to see Smith situated on another roster. Get this bum out of town.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Chabot got his 20th point last night.

Quietly putting together a very nice rookie season and he hasn’t played all the games as we all know, nor was he playing much at first.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Chabot got his 20th point last night.

Quietly putting together a very nice rookie season and he hasn’t played all the games as we all know, nor was he playing much at first.
Among defensemen, Chabot is 68th overall in P/GP with about 40%. 40 pts in a healthy season is going to be his floor going forward.

Karlsson is, yes, 1st overall in P/GP.

My boy McAvoy is first among rookies and 28th overall. Clear superstar.

Reactions: Sensinitis

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Stats are not everything and even if Smith is a little more valuable than his stats suggest... He is a replacement level player. Given most of the year he was in the top 6 and seeing PP1 and PP2 time this level of production is not nearly good enough.

2017-18Ottawa SenatorsNHL565131841-25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't agree with you at all on Smith & clearly most on here don't appreciate all the intangibles that Smith brings to the table. At the beginning of the yr Smith was recovering from surgery, people keep bringing up Karlsson's surgery but Smith doesn't get the same respect. Smith seems to take all of the important faceoffs (which require very good hands) even with Pageau & Duchene in the lineup & he only plays in the top 6 when there are injuries as there have been all yr to Ryan & Stone & who else is better suited to play up there on this roster when there is an injury? Ottawa doesn't have enough good players to make injury replacements & the coach doesn't trust the young players. Smith plays a checking line role mostly on the 3rd line, not a scoring role & he usually plays with other checkers not scorers, so what can you expect offensively from him?

Smith showed he had good hands the yr he played mostly with Pageau & Stone setting him up, even Pageau did nothing all yr offensively until he was placed with goal scoring wingers & his ROLE changed. People need to give much more value to good defensive players who the coach has playing a defensive role who are tough & hard to play against & make it very difficult on opposing players but can move up when there are injuries. Pageau is in exactly the same situation as Smith. No team has all goal scorers on it & certainly not this team & every team needs good defensive forwards & this team lacks toughness & could use more guys like Smith. I'd get rid of Pyatt, Burrows, JOB, Paarjarvi, Ryan & Gaborik before I'd get rid of Smith.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Now that the team is starting to win again I wonder where they will end up with a dozen games left regarding the draft?

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Among defensemen, Chabot is 68th overall in P/GP with about 40%. 40 pts in a healthy season is going to be his floor going forward.

Karlsson is, yes, 1st overall in P/GP.

My boy McAvoy is first among rookies and 28th overall. Clear superstar.

Love McAvoy ever since he opened my eyes in the playoffs last year .What a player... His poise with the puck at his age is flat-out awe-inspiring. Too bad he got injured, but should be back for the playoffs.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->