OT: The Mental Side of Hockey

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
Whatsup guys.

Long time lurker, but I've come the conclusion that I do in fact have thoughts and opinions of my own, so im stepping up to the plate.

One thing I've noticed is the fact that we constantly focus on the physical aspects of performance from players - Size, skill, speed, HIQ. All crucial elements of evaluation, of course.

However, the mental health of a player in my opinion is equally as important.

Now im sure teams facilitate their players accordingly with the best psych evals out there and help is readily available.

But the truth of the matter is there is still a stigma to mental health. Its definitely getting better, but its still there. I for one can attest to experiencing dissorders, and Im sure many of you have as well.

My goal is to try and eliminate it entirely. I want our up and coming kids to be in the best state of mind possible in order to optimize themselves in the sport, as well as their personal lives, because I believe the correlation to be incredibly strong.

Im not sure if this has been discussed before, but I think it needs to be talked about, if nothing more then for the sake of making it common place.

I just hope the older generation of hockey minds (no offence to lou) are able to identify the fact that mental health dissorders are becomming increasingly more active within society and need to be adressed.

Maybe one day the term "clutch" can actually have some statistical value.

Anyways those are my thoughts on the matter. Interested in hearing from you guys - Lets talk about it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think I've read that the Leafs actually have this in mind, with support for players if they need it. Hard to know how extensive it is though.

Being in good mental health must be crucial for a top athlete though, I'm sure. You don't get to the NHL level without a singular dedication, and that's hard to do while dragging around on depressions or anxiety disorders, for example.

I know Johan Franzén in Detroit suffered from severe anxiety disorder and sociophobia, just as an example.

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
The other side of the coin is that hockey is life for a lot of players. And if an injury takes you out of the game for example, its quite easy to lose how you identify yourself.

Which in turn can cause depression, substance abuse, etc.

But good to know the Leafs are in fact aware of the matter.

Btw Nith, ive read a lot of your posts in the past and youre a very good read. Appreciate the input.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Agreed. I believe Gilbert brules career was cut short due to Oilers not helping with his depression. Oilers did the same ignoring Patrick O'sullivans request for help. And I think Sheldon souray complained about Oilers management on his way out. That was Kevin Lowe though so I'm sure things have gotten better.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I definitely agree with you :)

mental health, everything inside your mind is incredibly important.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Babcock has talked about it a lot in interviews, building a "safe" place to play. Everything is about instilling confidence in these players, giving them all the support needed with everything, whether it's gym facilities, nutritionists, or sport psychologists, which in turn gives them little excuses to be anything but the best they can be.

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
I also believe this is why goaltenders are so hard to project. Fleury is the first one to come to mind. Solid during the regular season but put pressure on him and he chokes.

I suppose thats where sports psychology comes into play. Not necessarily a mental health issue, but it is along the lines of mentally internalizing your external surroundings and for one reason or another your brain doesnt allow you to stop a puck that you could handle with ease 9 times out of 10, just because the clock says theres 30 seconds left and youre protecting a 1 goal lead.

Its all brainy stuff, but im personally pretty intruiged by it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
People manage to cope and get to the top with mental health challenges.

You'd be surprised at the number of top actors, musicians or sports heroes that have suffered at some point along the way.

If anything, sometimes experiencing a challenge like that can make you really resilient, provided you develop coping skills and have support along the way.

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
People manage to cope and get to the top with mental health challenges.

You'd be surprised at the number of top actors, musicians or sports heroes that have suffered at some point along the way.

If anything, sometimes experiencing a challenge like that can make you really resilient, provided you develop coping skills and have support along the way.

Absolutely agree. I mean depression can sometimes be related to higher degrees of intelligence and creativy, which can be used positively forsure.

I just feel that it isn't talked about enough, and inside a hockey dressing room is an entirely different world. Showing what may be considered "softness" in regards to personal mental health issues is amost unaminously not allowed.

Though maybe in an NHL dressing room its different.

I believe we are making positive strides as a society though, and I hope eventually it will be as common as talking about a pulled groin or a flu bug.

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
Doesn't Laine have some serious mental health issues? Threatening coaches, etc.?

I believe he did say he wanted to punch him or something along those lines.

But Laine also has quite the ego it seems. I saw a tweet earlier stating he believes he can be the best player in the league (or from his draft class, not sure) in 5 years time. Confidence is key, but at what point does that that type of narcissitic behaviour become detremental to his future team.

If he truly believes he can the best, he just may become that. Its highly unlikely, but not impossible. Theres some risk factor to him though i think. But he does still have a lot of time to mature. He's still only 18 afterall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad