"The McDavid Factor", does it exist?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sekera and Lucic were arguably the top FA's in their respective years and they signed here when previous FA's laughed us off. The McDavid factor will be more in terms of veterans that are willing to come here to play with him at the tail ends of their career. Since our cap situation is kind of screwed it's not like there's a lot of $ out there to sign them with. I could see a guy like Mike Green taking a small discount to play here because of Connor and being close to home.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sekera and Lucic were arguably the top FA's in their respective years and they signed here when previous FA's laughed us off. The McDavid factor will be more in terms of veterans that are willing to come here to play with him at the tail ends of their career. Since our cap situation is kind of screwed it's not like there's a lot of $ out there to sign them with. I could see a guy like Mike Green taking a small discount to play here because of Connor and being close to home.
I mean you're not wrong but that speaks more to the class of UFA than the abilities of said players.

There's no Hossa or Karlsson or a star player out there that has signed with us or waived a NTC to come here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I mean you're not wrong but that speaks more to the class of UFA than the abilities of said players.

There's no Hossa or Karlsson or a star player out there that has signed with us or waived a NTC to come here.

Well when was the last time that a player of that caliber hit the open market? I suppose Tavares will be the first but he is a center and we already have a ton of cap invested in centers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well when was the last time that a player of that caliber hit the open market? I suppose Tavares will be the first but he is a center and we already have a ton of cap invested in centers.
Suter/Parise comes to mind. Generally these players get locked up beforehand.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Any RHD with offensive skills should be drooling at the thought of playing with Connor. The same can be said of any RW with size and skill until/if Jesse gets to a 1st/2nd line level.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Any RHD with offensive skills should be drooling at the thought of playing with Connor. The same can be said of any RW with size and skill until/if Jesse gets to a 1st/2nd line level.
I'm sure there are guys who would love it.

But you're not going to see them turning down large sums of money to do it. These guys need to set themselves and their families up for the rest of their lives. There is too much on the line to be turning down millions of dollars to play with a guy like McDavid.

Honestly though I'm less concerned with guys wanting to play with McDavid than I am with us just simply not having the cap space to bring anyone worthwhile in.

James Neal might love to play with McDavid but he's not going to turn down a long term deal and big dollars from some other team to do so.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

But you're not going to see them turning down large sums of money to do it. These guys need to set themselves and their families up for the rest of their lives. There is too much on the line to be turning down millions of dollars to play with a guy like McDavid.

Honestly though I'm less concerned with guys wanting to play with McDavid than I am with us just simply not having the cap space to bring anyone worthwhile in.

James Neal might love to play with McDavid but he's not going to turn down a long term deal and big dollars from some other team to do so.

And that is the sad reality of Connor's and Leon's contracts and for other reasons a guy like Lucic's.

If we sign another big ticket UFA he needs to be our Hossa not a guy that we regret signing 2-3 years later.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And that is the sad reality of Connor's and Leon's contracts and for other reasons a guy like Lucic's.

If we sign another big ticket UFA he needs to be our Hossa not a guy that we regret signing 2-3 years later.

Problem is a) There aren't many Marian Hossa's out there that ever even make it to free agency

and B) The league has closed the ability to sign guys like Hossa to the types of deals that made him fit cap wise for the Blackhawks. He was making 8M a year with a cap hit at 5.25M because of years at the end of a 12 year deal where his salary was 1M that he was obviously was never going to play.

With todays cap it would be like signing Tavares to 11M a year for the first 7 years of his deal but you're able to get him at a cap hit of 7.5M by adding artificial years at the end of the deal. Unfortunately it just isn't allowed anymore.

But even if that was allowed we couldn't afford to add him to our roster.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton

I hate hearing that over and over again. What the hell did they do with their $4million per year contracts for the first 8 years before hitting the UFA market? Don't tell me they need a $3million dollar pay raise just because they are UFA's to "set up their families financially".

Not to take a jab at you, Spawn. I just get tired of hearing that same thing repeatedly when most of these guys already have endorsement deals etc. that add up to half of that $4m salary each season anyways. I feel as though it is just a false narrative solely created to keep the cap and the market in line.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I hate hearing that over and over again. What the hell did they do with their $4million per year contracts for the first 8 years before hitting the UFA market? Don't tell me they need a $3million dollar pay raise just because they are UFA's to "set up their families financially".

Not to take a jab at you, Spawn. I just get tired of hearing that same thing repeatedly when most of these guys already have endorsement deals etc. that add up to half of that $4m salary each season anyways. I feel as though it is just a false narrative solely created to keep the cap and the market in line.

What is often overlooked is that after taxes, agent fees and union fees, many players see less than 50% of their contract in their pockets. Then there is the cost of living a private lifestyle, training, diet and supliments.

Out of that 32 million that you just assumed they had going into that big contract, most of them would have less than 10 million left (and that is if they didn't blow it all when they were young and stupid.)

Now of course 10 million is a lot of money, but that can also be easily blown in a lifetime. These guys want to build a security blanket to comortably take care of their families for the rest of their lives. You can't blame them for that.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
What is often overlooked is that after taxes, agent fees and union fees, many players see less than 50% of their contract in their pockets. Then there is the cost of living a private lifestyle, training, diet and supliments.

Out of that 32 million that you just assumed they had going into that big contract, most of them would have less than 10 million left (and that is if they didn't blow it all when they were young and stupid.)

Now of course 10 million is a lot of money, but that can also be easily blown in a lifetime. These guys want to build a security blanket to comortably take care of their families for the rest of their lives. You can't blame them for that.

32 million and they have 10 mil left? These people need much better accountants.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
When the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, there was a ton of talk about how players would line up to sign here and at discounted prices at that. We're 3 years into McDavid's life as an Oiler and I fail to see any signs of this. Our biggest free agent signings were Sekera and Lucic, both of whom are not only overpaid, but overpaid for a long period of time. McDavid and Draisatl themselves signed for fairly large amounts of money, and then there's the likes of Russell...

When Lucic signed here he cited the McDavid Factor... Of course we're in his second year here and his contract already looks like one of the worst in the league...

I have trouble finding any Oiler on the roster that's signed to a discount, especially those signed by our current GM.

And for the record, this isn't a knock on McDavid or the players. It's a knock on management and the bill of goods that was sold to us. Players don't sign with a team because of one player. They either sign because of the money or because of the chance to win. And we don't have the second one available to us right now.

How is anyone going to sell this team to players if they're unable to win anything with the best talent the NHL has to offer?

Sekera and Lucic were the 2 biggest free agent fishes reeled in by the McDavid factor. 'Nuff said /thread.
It doesn't matter if they are overpaid, the McDavid factor brought them in, bottom line. In fact, they both stated that McDavid was the main reason.

The McDavid factor also brought in Chia and Mclellan, not saying that was a good thing obviously. So yes there's a McDavid factor, quite clearly.

Also, which high prized UFA's take discounts? People act like the Oilers are the only ones who overpay.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
So he's paying well over 60% in taxes?

That's one bad accountant.

It's probably actually pretty close. They pay close to 50% in taxes, around 45-50%, roughly. Then add agent fees and that dreaded escrow and they are probably looking at around a 55% haircut off their overall salary. But bear in mind these are USD dollars. McDavid probably takes home something like 8M - 9M CAD.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Sekera and Lucic were the 2 biggest free agent fishes reeled in by the McDavid factor. 'Nuff said /thread.
It doesn't matter if they are overpaid, the McDavid factor brought them in, bottom line. In fact, they both stated that McDavid was the main reason.

The McDavid factor also brought in Chia and Mclellan, not saying that was a good thing obviously. So yes there's a McDavid factor, quite clearly.

Also, which high prized UFA's take discounts? People act like the Oilers are the only ones who overpay.

So the McD factor is worth bringing in lousy, declining overpaid players. As I mentioned before the Gretzky factor would bring in allstar players like Linseman and Nillson. Some difference there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So the McD factor is worth bringing in lousy, declining overpaid players. As I mentioned before the Gretzky factor would bring in allstar players like Linseman and Nillson. Some difference there.

The question is, does the McDavid factor exist not if the McDavid factor is paying dividends? The answer is yes it does exist. The Oilers don't get those big UFA's without him.
It's up to management to bring in the right players at the right prices.
Top UFA's aren't going to sign for a discount anywhere unless it's a re-signing (Stamkos for example) or they have a really incompetent agent.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So he's paying well over 60% in taxes?

That's one bad accountant.

Not as ridiculous as it sounds. Top combined marginal rate in the country is in Quebec. 33% federal plus 25.75% provincial for a combined 58.75% marginal rate. That's on the vast majority of income the players earn. Never mind property taxes, sales tax etc...

You can defer a little bit of the taxes with RRSPs but it's a real problem with the tax scheme in the country.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The question is, does the McDavid factor exist not if the McDavid factor is paying dividends? The answer is yes it does exist. The Oilers don't get those big UFA's without him.
It's up to management to bring in the right players at the right prices.
Top UFA's aren't going to sign for a discount anywhere unless it's a re-signing (Stamkos for example) or they have a really incompetent agent.
Or they have a chance to win.

Even the guys we re-sign don't come at a discount.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Or they have a chance to win.

Even the guys we re-sign don't come at a discount.

That's because the GM is a poor negotiator, has nothing to do with whether or not there is a McDavid factor. You are confusing poor management with McDavid factor. Players have signed here because of McDavid, players have been overpaid because of poor management.

The discounts might start happening when they win and/or get a new GM but players will always be interested in signing/staying here because of McDavid, and the big mall of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->