The math of loto wins

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is an interesting one if not some sort of scam which so far it does not appear to be.

A lottery in the Philippines that saw 433 people hit the jackpot has drawn surprise and triggered scrutiny.
It was the highest number of people to have ever won the Grand Lotto's top prize, according to local media.
The winning combination for last weekend's 236m peso ($4m; £3.5m) jackpot was a series of numbers which were all multiples of nine.

---

The PCSO also highlighted that people in the Philippines tended to bet on number sequences.
"Many have held on to their numbers. It's not only good to be loyal to your wives and husbands, it's also good to be loyal to your numbers," Mr Robles told a news conference.

"I've been betting on pattern nine, pattern eight, pattern seven and pattern six for many years and I'm thankful I just won," one winner said.
Terence Tao, a maths professor from University of California, Los Angeles told the BBC that a pattern like this being a winning series of numbers is rare "for any single lottery".

"But there are hundreds of lotteries every day around the world, and statistically it would not be surprising that every few decades, one of these lotteries would exhibit an unusual pattern," he said.
"It's similar to how in any given hand of poker it would be unlikely to draw a straight flush, but if one looks at hundreds of thousands of hands at once then it actually becomes quite likely that a straight flush would be drawn," he added.

Others like this

It's not the first time a lottery has seen an unusual pattern or sequence of numbers drawn.
There were accusations of fraud after 20 people shared the jackpot in South Africa's national lottery in December 2020, when the numbers five, six, seven, eight, nine and 10 were drawn.
The organisers said the winners collected 5.7m rand ($370,000; £278,000) each.
Meanwhile, a Spanish TV reporter resigned live on air after she thought she'd hit the jackpot in the country's €4m ($3.9m; £3.4m) Christmas lottery.

Natalia Escudero started screaming on camera and told colleagues at public broadcaster RTVE she was "not coming to work tomorrow" - before later learning she had won just €5,000 ($4,349; £3,784).
And spare a thought for those whose lucky numbers came up in a lotto draw in the UK in March 2016.
More than 4,000 correctly picked five out of the six numbers - all multiples of seven - and ended up collecting just £15 each for their win.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is an interesting one if not some sort of scam which so far it does not appear to be.

A lottery in the Philippines that saw 433 people hit the jackpot has drawn surprise and triggered scrutiny.
It was the highest number of people to have ever won the Grand Lotto's top prize, according to local media.
The winning combination for last weekend's 236m peso ($4m; £3.5m) jackpot was a series of numbers which were all multiples of nine.

---

The PCSO also highlighted that people in the Philippines tended to bet on number sequences.
"Many have held on to their numbers. It's not only good to be loyal to your wives and husbands, it's also good to be loyal to your numbers," Mr Robles told a news conference.

"I've been betting on pattern nine, pattern eight, pattern seven and pattern six for many years and I'm thankful I just won," one winner said.
Terence Tao, a maths professor from University of California, Los Angeles told the BBC that a pattern like this being a winning series of numbers is rare "for any single lottery".

"But there are hundreds of lotteries every day around the world, and statistically it would not be surprising that every few decades, one of these lotteries would exhibit an unusual pattern," he said.
"It's similar to how in any given hand of poker it would be unlikely to draw a straight flush, but if one looks at hundreds of thousands of hands at once then it actually becomes quite likely that a straight flush would be drawn," he added.

Others like this

It's not the first time a lottery has seen an unusual pattern or sequence of numbers drawn.
There were accusations of fraud after 20 people shared the jackpot in South Africa's national lottery in December 2020, when the numbers five, six, seven, eight, nine and 10 were drawn.
The organisers said the winners collected 5.7m rand ($370,000; £278,000) each.
Meanwhile, a Spanish TV reporter resigned live on air after she thought she'd hit the jackpot in the country's €4m ($3.9m; £3.4m) Christmas lottery.

Natalia Escudero started screaming on camera and told colleagues at public broadcaster RTVE she was "not coming to work tomorrow" - before later learning she had won just €5,000 ($4,349; £3,784).
And spare a thought for those whose lucky numbers came up in a lotto draw in the UK in March 2016.
More than 4,000 correctly picked five out of the six numbers - all multiples of seven - and ended up collecting just £15 each for their win.
A quote form Terence Tao is not something I thought I'd ever see on a hockey board!! Tao is one of if not the best mathematician alive today.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A quote form Terence Tao is not something I thought I'd ever see on a hockey board!! Tao is one of if not the best mathematician alive today.
I am no mathematician but I find how important math is in all aspects of our lives and can be fount everywhere. So I love reading articles about weird math related subjects.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Tao is unbelievably prolific. He got his Ph.D. from Princeton at age 20 and was a full Professor at UCLA at 24. He won the Fields Medal, our Nobel Prize, at age 31 for work in multiple fields.

His blog is a fantastic resource on all sorts of mathematical topics.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad