The Mark Streit Appreciation Thread

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm thrilled that we managed to trade him, but it does leave me a little sad. Streit gave everything for the flyers and by all accords was a fantastic mentor in the dressing room. He was asked to play way over his head pretty much since he got here and always gave a respectable performance, mixed in with some truly great performances. He's played with a broken pelvis all year and still took the bumps and bruises.

Good luck Mark, You were a damn good Flyer.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
We should all join hands and honor any individual living that Center City life enough to suffer a pubic plate detachment.

:sarcasm:

Jk. Best wishes to a good guy.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
His first two seasons here were phenomenal. Age and injuries caught him, but that was to be expected. Great guy off the ice too.

Btw, Streit was drafted at age 26. Such a great story.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Your dick fell off and you fought back to play for us. Thank you!

On a serious note, he took a lot of **** here, but we knew what we were getting. He was a stabilizing force offensively (sometimes a weapon, early on). And I always appreciate when a player doesn't want to get traded from a bad/fringe team. When that news broke a day or two ago and I saw he wanted to stay and help the kids grow, I felt for him. If we don't re-sign MDZ and Schultz and we do something with Manning, I wouldn't hate bringing him back as a 6/7th D for <=$1m just as a great vet for the kids to practice with and be around.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He was a good player for several years. Had he been traded to any other team than Pitt I would have wanted him to win a cup.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
"Phenomenal"???

No chance Marc Streit was ever a phenomenal Flyer, like ever. Too slow, injured, over the hill. Was he serviceable with a couple of "good to ok" years? I mean, yeah.

I wish him well, was a class act.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think I remember Ghost in his first season praising Streit as a great mentor and great guy.
I'm sure having someone like Streit on the team helped him a lot.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
"Phenomenal"???

No chance Marc Streit was ever a phenomenal Flyer, like ever. Too slow, injured, over the hill. Was he serviceable with a couple of "good to ok" years? I mean, yeah.

I wish him well, was a class act.

Uh, not saying he should get his number retired, but he was definitely more than "serviceable" or "good to ok". 50 pts defensemen with leadership both on and off the ice don't grow on trees. He was a difference maker for sure. The 5.25M was justified at the beginning.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Was far better than I think everyone expected when signed as a UFA.

First two years was great.

Last two has been ok in a limited role.

Finished Flyers career with:

274 gp: 22nd all-time amongst Dmen
30 g: 17th all-time amongst Dmen
110 a: 16th all-time amongst Dmen
140 p: 17th all-time amongst Dmen

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
good player, good soldier, good leader; yep

now go concuss Malkin in practice or something...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Streit was the right player at the wrong time, traded too much, then paid too much for a team that was headed downhill.
If you could make that deal for 34 year old Streit next year, it would make sense as the anchor for a young defense.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Streit was the right player at the wrong time, traded too much, then paid too much for a team that was headed downhill.
If you could make that deal for 34 year old Streit next year, it would make sense as the anchor for a young defense.
Yeah, they traded way too much for him. This franchise is still reeling from the loss of Shane Harper and a 4th.

He was also very fairly paid. If you combine the last 4 seasons, he's among the top 30 highest scoring defensemen in the league and that doesn't even factor in the time he missed or the time spent playing injured. If you just go by his first two seasons, he's top 10 in defensive scoring.

He left a lot to be desired over the last two years, but it's hardly his fault that the defense was a dumpster fire during his tenure here.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Did it have to be ****ing Pittsburgh? On the one hand I´m hoping so much that he gets his name on the cup, on the other hand I´d almost rather cut of my left hand (let´s say pinky; not to be overly dramatic) than see the Pens hoist another one... And the Flyers suck...

I must have died and gone to hell...

Anyways, best of luck to Mark. So lucky that he played for two of my favorite teams (ZSC in Switzerland being the 2nd one)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Was far better than I think everyone expected when signed as a UFA.

First two years was great.

Last two has been ok in a limited role.

Finished Flyers career with:

274 gp: 22nd all-time amongst Dmen
30 g: 17th all-time amongst Dmen
110 a: 16th all-time amongst Dmen
140 p: 17th all-time amongst Dmen

He was worth the contract, especially when other guys started leaving and took on more responsibility than he should have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad