"The Lockout" and the "''05 Entry Draft" QUESTION...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Messenger said:
Don't be so sure ...

Some teams did not want to take that chance ... Phaneuf, Anthony Stewart, Cory Perry and Ryan Getzlaf all go signed the last minute and day to make sure they remained property .. No one knows for sure what will happen to the 2003 draft class ...

Lockout sends prospects back to junior
Canadian Press
9/27/2004

(CP) - One of the top NHL prospects in North America isn't at an NHL camp nor does he have a contract to make him feel better about it.

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds forward Jeff Carter, the 11th overall pick by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2003 draft, headlines a group of elite 19-year-old players who would otherwise be playing in the NHL if there wasn't a lockout.

Some first-round draft picks from the same draft class as Carter, such as Kingston forward Anthony Stewart, Red Deer defenceman Dion Phaneuf, London forward Corey Perry and Calgary forward Ryan Getzlaf signed contracts just hours before the collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and its players expired at midnight on Sept 15.

Phaneuf was the ninth overall pick by the Calgary Flames, Getzlaf 19th by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Stewart 25th by the Florida Panthers and Perry 28th by Anaheim.

The Flyers signed neither Carter nor Kitchener forward Michael Richards, the 24th pick in that draft.

Carter, a six-foot-three, 182-pound centre from London, Ont, accepts his situation as a fact of life under the NHL lockout.

``Obviously when the new CBA gets approved, there's going to be cutbacks,'' Carter said Monday from Sault Ste. Marie. ``Guys aren't going to be making as much money. The entry level contracts are going to be lower. I'm not surprised a lot of the teams decided to wait it out.''

The group of players born in 1985 was unusually deep and talented, particularly in Canada, which would have resulted in an influx of teens into the NHL if there wasn't a lockout.

If those players didn't stick for the whole season, they would have at least got long looks and some NHL games under their belts.

``Obviously if there was a season, that's where I wanted to be,'' Carter said. ``This year I would have went into camp and hopefully had a good shot of making the team.''

Other top teens heading for junior include Lethbridge defenceman Brent Seabrook (Chicago), Portland defenceman Braydon Coburn (Atlanta), Rimouski forward Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Edmonton), Moncton forward Steve Bernier (San Jose) and Brandon winger Eric Fehr (Washington).

Bernier feels the double disappointment of not going to San Jose's camp and not having a contract.

``If the lockout lasts one year and I didn't sign, I'm going to go back in the draft,'' he said. ``That's why it's bad for me.

``I went last year to the camp and had a good experience, but this year, I don't like that, not going to camp.''

Read on: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=100144&hubName=nhl

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1. No CBA in place prior to the scheduled 2005 draft= no draft ....
2. 2005 eligible draftess if over 18 (and of course draft woulda re-entries)are free to sign with other leagues (euro) --I still think AHL cannot sign them if Jr. eligibility left and they are under 20...ONCE CBA signed =they must go through NHL entry draft similar to euro ufa's who were never drafted ...there is no way the NHL lets Crosby and every other 2005 draft-eligible become a UFA not subject to entry draft =simply due to restricting the bidding wars for them if that were the case---be assured the "delayed" entry crop will be subject to a draft when the new CBA comes into effect=it will be written in to any new CBA....perhaps the draft re-entries from 2003 who were unsigned and missed the re-entry in 2005 might be let off the hook and become UFA's without going through the draft again=after-all they were drafted once anyway,and would be 21 in 2006 so I think we can assume they will be totally free --however any bidding wars for them will be tempered by:

a) overall cap
b) rookie cap
c) oversupply of young draftees from a double cohort draft in 2006....

THEREFORE the only questions relating to the double cohort draft of 2006 (assuning new CBA in place before June 2006) will be: 1 combination draft (2005+2006 cohorts in 1 single draft) or 2 separate drafts=2 separate lotteries?
Doubtful it would be 2 separate drafts,since that leaves the thorny question of awarding the "delayed" 2005 draft on the basis of the finishes of the season last played prior to 2005(2003/04 season) ,whereas 2006 draft procceeds based on fnishes of 2005/06 season or partial thereof........having 1 combo draft solves this issue cleanly---so if you are PIT,CHI,WAS,CBJ,and PHX,then assuming you are still in the NHL under a new CBA,you may be out of luck in a lotto for Crosby in2006 should your team IMPROVE back out of the bottom 5 in the 2005/06 season (or partial thereof)....conversely,if you are a "geezer" team and over the CAP,you may just find your team slipping to the bottom in a "race" for 1 of the 5 lotto chances for Crosby once play resumes in 2005/06.......DET getting Crosby---say it ain't so!
Yet stranger things have happened!

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Puckhead said:
It's not only a theory, it is a fact. Any draft eligible player who goes undrafted, becomes an UFA. Therefore, no draft...Everyone is an UFA in 2005.
Under the old CBA rules. Even if they do become free agents, they cannot sign with an NHL team (the league has told the teams they cannot sign anyone). A new CBA would no doubt address this question along with all the other questions about eligibility.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
me2 said:
Do you think McDonalds would be able unilaterally introduce a rule allowing to trade its employees to another franchise across the country without their permission? To force employees to nominate for a draft with a random franchise placement? To black ban 18 and 19 year employees? Without a union authorised agreement the NHL might find it has less control.
As for McDonald employees, it happens all the time... it's called a transfer (corporate employees, not hamburger flippers...they don't need to transfer them they can get plenty of those anywhere). If you don't want to go, you get fired and get paid a severance package. Sport's players can get traded because the league they belong to allows for it in their rules. If the player doesn't like it, he can negotiate a no-trade clause, otherwise, tough luck.

The whole issue of allowing 18-19 year olds the right to choose teams is nonsense. The draft is part of the league rules. A player is not forced to play in the NHL, he can play elsewhere. Lots of Europeans get drafted and never sign an NHL contract. So what? If Crosby decides to play in the WHA, then so be it, how is the imposing of new draft rules stopping him from getting employed? Who says he has a god given right to play in the NHL? If the NHL doesn't want him what's he going to do...sue to play. Then what, every tom dick & harry will use the same arguments...and then what, the NHL has to allow anybody who wants to play into the league? Get real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad