The level of the KHL relative to the NHL if Russian players are prevented from going overseas

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
So,

We know it is the ambition of the KHL to rival the NHL for the best league in the world. The main figures behind the KHL are members of the Russian political elite.

As it stands there is a trend in Russia towards preventing Russian players from entering the NHL. As the conflict with the West deepens, it seems highly possible that the Russian regime could apply a full ban for Russian citizens to play in the NHL or even travel to the NA/Europe. Since many Russian players are highly patriotic and hold their family ties in great value, most of them would likely settle for playing in Russia instead of trying to defect.

Should such a situation arise, would the KHL be anywhere close to the NHL in terms of talent?

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
First of all, it’s nearly impossible to happen.

Secondly, it will still be nowhere close the NHL level even if all Russian players move to the KHL

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean the math is pretty simple: there were ~30 full-time Russian NHL players last year. So does 1,5 NHL players per team make the league close in level to the NHL? The answer is obvious?

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
So,

We know it is the ambition of the KHL to rival the NHL for the best league in the world. The main figures behind the KHL are members of the Russian political elite.

As it stands there is a trend in Russia towards preventing Russian players from entering the NHL. As the conflict with the West deepens, it seems highly possible that the Russian regime could apply a full ban for Russian citizens to play in the NHL or even travel to the NA/Europe. Since many Russian players are highly patriotic and hold their family ties in great value, most of them would likely settle for playing in Russia instead of trying to defect.

Should such a situation arise, would the KHL be anywhere close to the NHL in terms of talent?

It wouldn't even come close as many others have said. If every single Russian player who played in the NHL full time last year chooses to play in the KHL, that's not even 2 players added per team. It would take a lot more than that to even move the needle on the level of play.

As long as the top players in the KHL in recent seasons are ones who could barely get in a NHL lineup (Jaskin, Danforth, Prince, ) or can't even get a solid roster spot (Hartikainen, Dawes, Da Costa, O'Neil, Shipachyov), closing the talent disparity between the KHL and NHL is laughable.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They'll have to reduce the size of the league anyway rather drastically if they want to maintain its level, otherwise the bottom half won't compare favorably even to the ECHL.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
So,

Considering the general cost of living and the average KHL contract, wouldn't you 'settle' for staying in your home country?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I think the Russian racism can only help strenghten the KHL. This is a legit league. In oved watching games during the 12-13 lockout. I think I will start watching again this upcoming season.

Bob Hartley (coaching in the KHL) also said that import players were really treated well and that the league said that they would protect the players, but allow imports to leave if there were any major issues whatsoever.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It's going to be worse just because the good players from other countries will not play in the KHL anymore.

Never say never. Maybe 1-2 years...

When they will see, "anything is going according to plan" in this league, they will come back. Money talks.

Much more, when the political situation will go in Ukraine favor.

Question is, if the KHL teams will have such many as now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Bob Hartley (coaching in the KHL) also said that import players were really treated well and that the league said that they would protect the players, but allow imports to leave if there were any major issues whatsoever.
Ivan Fedotov likes this :thumbu:

Also, you coming back to watch the league when it's, objectively, at all-time bad because "Russian racism makes it stronger" is beyond weird. And I picked "weird" just because I'm trying to be nice about it.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I think the Russian racism can only help strenghten the KHL. This is a legit league. In oved watching games during the 12-13 lockout. I think I will start watching again this upcoming season.

Possibly the worst sentence that has ever been thought and then physically typed out. Usually when someone thinks of something with such a low level of rational thinking, the brain steps in and tries to take itself out.

Only 6 of the Top 20 point producers last season were Russian. There were only 6 the year before. The year before that was 9. Then 7. The year before that finally over half of the Top 20 point producers were Russian, and only barely. The imports in the KHL are the top players. That is the point of import players in the league. So when Russian racism, among other political factors, drive away the top players then that isn't a legit league. By far the most offensively talented player in the KHL last season was Shipachyov, who barely could crack a NHL roster. The second best player bolted for a middle 6 forward role on a middle of the line NHL team.

So the best foreigners, who traditionally have been the best players in the league, are staying away. The best Russian players are still playing in the NHL and aren't returning home, something many clueless people thought would happen. We are left with a league that is not legit as it once was and one severely lacking the talent it had before.

So explain your ridiculous thoughts here on how Russian racism can only help strengthen the KHL...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad