Blue Jays Discussion: The "Let's blow up the team" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I dont like paying more than 15M per because it seems like we are bidding against ourselves. But this makes the team better and likely ensures a franchise icon retires a Blue Jay. Hopefully he can bounce back next season. Welcome back Jose!

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Still the same problem of the lineup being too RH without and actual lefty smashers (save for Pearce and Melvin).

Career wRC+ vs. lefties:

Bautista - 135
Donaldson - 164
Tulowitzki - 140
Pearce - 130
Morales - 107
Martin - 119
Upton - 109
Travis - 99
Pillar - 90

They mash lefties just fine.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I dont like paying more than 15M per because it seems like we are bidding against ourselves. But this makes the team better and likely ensures a franchise icon retires a Blue Jay. Hopefully he can bounce back next season. Welcome back Jose!

Spending $5mill more on a player of his caliber isn't that much........sure that's a lot to us; but for the Jays it is peanuts.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Career wRC+ vs. lefties:

Bautista - 135
Donaldson - 164
Tulowitzki - 140
Pearce - 130
Morales - 107
Martin - 119
Upton - 109
Travis - 99
Pillar - 90

They mash lefties just fine.

Certainly didn't feel like it last year. Though I guess they were just hugely underwhelming in general.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Spending $5mill more on a player of his caliber isn't that much........sure that's a lot to us; but for the Jays it is peanuts.

Unless the payroll went up that 5M could be worth a lot. I rather have 10-12M to find a catcher, bullpen help and potentially a LFer than 5-7M.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
they had to do this.

but unfortunately this offseason is pretty much coming down to replacing Encarnacion with morales.

they could have knocked this offseason out of the park.

hopefully the batted ball data on morales gives us some career best performance out of him.

If we're comparing to last year's team, they've also improved on Smoak with Pearce and Dickey with Liriano.

If this deal gets done, the offseason has been just fine.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Im just glad they didn't end up overpaying on Jay Bruce or someone like that. Great to have Jose back and he should be motivated.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Eh... close to 20M on a 2 year deal for Jose is a bit high.... This puts us roughly in the 7-9M range for remaining reported budget.

We still need a backup catcher, ideally another OF, and upgrade the bullpen.

Unless we have more than reported, it's going to be tiiiiiiiight

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If we're comparing to last year's team, they've also improved on Smoak with Pearce and Dickey with Liriano.

If this deal gets done, the offseason has been just fine.

coulda been better. quite easily, too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If you haven't already, I recommend you copy this so you can just use CTRL-V when you want to make a post rather than having to re-type it every time.

as opposed to your endless variations on "Another great move, Mr.Shapiro!".

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Eh... close to 20M on a 2 year deal for Jose is a bit high.... This puts us roughly in the 7-9M range for remaining reported budget.

We still need a backup catcher, ideally another OF, and upgrade the bullpen.

Unless we have more than reported, it's going to be tiiiiiiiight

If the number for 2017 is ~$20MM, you're looking at ~$3.5-4MM left under the quoted budget.

You don't need a backup catcher (though you may want one), another outfielder would mean you'd have to remove one you currently have on your 40-man, and Logan\Blevins will likely cost ~$4.5MM.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Good. Very happy to have JB back.

Now we need some bullpen arms (Logan?) and maybe another good outfielder (Saunders? Trade for McCutchen?)

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty sure Shapiro/Atkins said they don't like how the free agent reliever market has gone. I'm thinking if the guys still in play aren't dropping their prices they'll go the trade route.

1 Brad Hand please

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004

What? Um, thanks for but no thanks. Joey bats has done plenty for Toronto, but 35 Mil +?

Can't wait to hear Shap's people explain how this is a "good" move. How is spending this much for an aging, not defensively sound player sane?:help:

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I am partially glad he's back for sentiment. But I have to be realistic. This is a bad deal.

Last edited:

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
they had to do this.

but unfortunately this offseason is pretty much coming down to replacing Encarnacion with morales.

they could have knocked this offseason out of the park.

hopefully the batted ball data on morales gives us some career best performance out of him.

Unfortunately, this.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Shapiro made it sound like they have some moves to make still (I posted the link a few pages back). I'm guessing we'll see a minor trade or 2, along with a signing

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
how he is getting that much?

i didnt even think he was going to be able to get a 2 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->