The Legacy Of David Poile

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Really good. Kopitar would be perfect here so we should all root for the Kings to tank and go into rebuild.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Well written article. Hit the positives and negatives pretty much dead on.
Liked your take on Legwand too.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
good article Glenn

Nice article. Well written and I liked all your points. Here are a couple of extra thoughts.
Regarding the reason the NHL didn't stop the disassembly of the team under Lieapold is that Bettman works for the Owners, not the players and certainly not the fans. He let the owner disassemble the team while negoitiating to buy the Wild. Never proven but no one tried to. Bettman let it go.
Poile had a strict budget for years here as the franchise got on its feet. Just as it was beginning to get going came the sell off of the players and the team. That almost started the franchise over again and only the last few years has the strict budget been lifted.
Under those circumstances, Poile has been super for Nashville. The team is here because of his efforts.

and I agree totally with these points made by year1fan. basically poile has had the task of building two start up franchises from the ground up. the first as an expansion outfit that no one gave the slightest chance to work, and then after the leopold firesale when the franchise was right on the verge of packing up and moving. with zero prior hockey experience among the new owners poile is the sole reason we have been able to be competitive and grow this franchise. he's the reason we still have a team. very likely with anyone else during these 17 years we would have lost it long ago.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
good article Glenn

and I agree totally with these points made by year1fan. basically poile has had the task of building two start up franchises from the ground up. the first as an expansion outfit that no one gave the slightest chance to work, and then after the leopold firesale when the franchise was right on the verge of packing up and moving. with zero prior hockey experience among the new owners poile is the sole reason we have been able to be competitive and grow this franchise. he's the reason we still have a team. very likely with anyone else during these 17 years we would have lost it long ago.
I've never thought of it like this before, and I totally agree. I mean....things were a little better in 2007 than 1997 but there's no denying the complete mess that the fire sale and relocation rumors left us in. The fact that we made the playoffs in 07-08 is truly one of this franchise's biggest accomplishments.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think what it really boils down to is Poile is a greater ambassador of the game than he is a GM.

He has constantly struggled to take his teams to that next step but has always fielded competitive squads. He has also saved a franchise and grown the game in nontraditional markets. I think the good outweighs the bad, but I do think it is time for him to take the plunge for a cup or die trying.

I look at the last Olympics as a prime example of Poile's ability. He is staunchly loyal to a certain kind of player, even if it is to the detriment of his team.

Poile works in Nashville because we need a guy like him to grow the game, but at some point the team needs to grow beyond what he brings to the table. Great article Glenn.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I mean for all his lacks in drafting, can we just take a moment and appreciate this guy for once? Look at the team he's put together for the love of God. It's young, one of the best in the league, and what's amazing it's cost-controlled so we can still improve. My god. Address the center situation now or during the season and I'll put this team against anybody.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
In the 18 previous drafts that the Nashville Predators have participated in, the franchise has drafted a total of 15,923 NHL player/games of talent.

Based upon the number of games played by the Preds since 1998, and compared to other teams that have been drafting, Nashville is one of only five teams that have managed a ratio of one or more drafted player-games to scheduled games in the last 26 years.

He finds guys who can play in the NHL, yo.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
In the 18 previous drafts that the Nashville Predators have participated in, the franchise has drafted a total of 15,923 NHL player/games of talent.

Based upon the number of games played by the Preds since 1998, and compared to other teams that have been drafting, Nashville is one of only five teams that have managed a ratio of one or more drafted player-games to scheduled games in the last 26 years.

He finds guys who can play in the NHL, yo.

Is there a way to see other numbers from other GMs?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The problem, you see, is that not counting Poile there have been about 9, 968 othe GMs in those 18 years. 1,500 have been in Toronto I think. :sarcasm:

Sure sample sizes wouldn't be consistent, but if you pulled GMs that have been places minimum of say 7 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad