The Last Of Us Part II

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That gameplay is ****ing amazing.

I don't really play these games for the gameplay, even though it's good and reinforces the atmosphere. It's mainly a way to get through a good story.

Looks like ND will deliver again.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There's always the possibility that he'll be included only to not make it through the story this time around. ;)
I feel like that whole Winter chapter was so well done that we almost already got the effect of that when he was indisposed. I'm sure there will be something in the new one where he died before it starts or something (haven't watched the new trailer yet to see if they mention something about it).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Some details from an E3 discussion:

A list of some of the details divulged in the discussion about The Last of Us 2.

• New traversal and prone move-sets.
  • Combat has increased emphasis on tension, interactivity and realism.
  • Enemy AI references each other by name, and constantly communicates with each other.
  • Two different timelines explored in TLOU2.
  • New dodge/evade mechanic is a core part of combat and melee.
  • You now have a jump button.
  • Far more creative and emergent moments in combat thanks to big increase in breadth of options.
  • Improved stealth mechanics, including crawl, prone, squeezing into tighter gaps, underneath vehicles etc.
  • Expanded infected enemies and whole new classes.
  • You're not automatically fully hidden in grass. Extent of your visibility depends on height & density of foliage.
  • Much more verticality in combat scenarios now. She needs more routes and ways to engage.
  • Survival aspects are still a focus.
  • Different ammo types (eg explosive arrows) now. Each ammo type fulfills a particular strategy niche.
  • Animation system is completely overhauled so everything is even more realistic and transitions are seamless.
  • Wide linear combat environments are being expanded to be even larger and broader.
  • AI system massively improved for added realism.
  • No more auto AI telepathic awareness of you once spotted. They whistle to and actually communicate with each other.
  • Referred to as systemic check-ins of AI information. They pass information to each other more realistically to let new groups and enemies know of the unfolding situation or of your position.
  • Enemy awareness and ability to seek player out improved.
  • You can now craft different ammo and arrow types.
  • The Church scene is set 4 years after the events of TLOU in Jackson, the gameplay demo is set 5 years after.
  • Seraphite(sp?) is a religious cultish group, but they will not be black and white. Motivations explored.
  • They use more advanced facial camera capture and mo-cap now, more advanced than they had with Uncharted 4.
  • Lots of new facial animation tech. More nuances of the face, creases, folds, build up of skin etc.
  • Eyeball tech also re-worked, now includes internal refractions, reflections and so on.
  • Joel is somewhere out there in Jackson....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LOL, random lesbo scene that has nothing to do with the actual game is such a buzzkill. Forced agendas really grind my gears.

Gameplay looks effin amazing, but I'll probably wait and see until I get it.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I mean if youre getting mad about a kiss scene between two girls, it sounds like you're the one forcing your homophobic agenda. The scene was obviously portraying that something happened to the girl that Ellie once deeply had affection towards and Ellie is taking revenge on the people that caused the tragedy. She was literally thinking about that moment when she was stabbing one of those cultist people in the neck. You thinking they put that scene in to look like good people and force an agenda is amusing though.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
LOL, random lesbo scene that has nothing to do with the actual game is such a buzzkill. Forced agendas really grind my gears.

While sometimes pandering to minorities can be annoying (which this isn't).. why does this have nothing to do with game?

Likely scenario that Ellie's girlfriend is potentially murdered, she was a lesbian or at least bisexual in the first game/comic. So it has plenty to do with the story.

Do you say the same thing when Elena and Nate kiss?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
At first I wondered why they were taking so long on a very slow paced romance scene, but by the end I thought it made sense with the contrast of the violence.

It looked like they just cut a key part out of the story and then showed it to us.

void

Jan 5, 2006

It's not random. Ellie's girl obviously plays a big part in this game. Also, forced agendas? We knew Ellie was a lesbian since the first game. Nothing forced about it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Romances in post-apocalyptic wastelands are goofy.

I loved TLoU so am looking forward to this, but to be honest I felt so satisfied after finishing it the first time that I never went back for multiplayer, a replay, or even the DLC. It felt like a contained experience to me and I have never been particularly concerned with where the story might go from there.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I will admit that while I stopped playing TLoU after not liking the game play, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the story (except at the very beginning when I got something in my eye). It's not what I'd call a unique plot by any means, but it was well told and Ellie and Joel were fantastic characters.

I'm looking forward to TLoU II, even if only to see what they do next. I will say the combat looked so well animated that I was honestly tempted to want to play it during the trailer, even though I know what happened last time I tried to play it. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Romances in post-apocalyptic wastelands are goofy.

I loved TLoU so am looking forward to this, but to be honest I felt so satisfied after finishing it the first time that I never went back for multiplayer, a replay, or even the DLC. It felt like a contained experience to me and I have never been particularly concerned with where the story might go from there.
Pretty much, they added a lesbian kissing scene for the reveal trailer since they knew millions were watching simply because it was a ****ing lesbian kissing scene. Absolutely no more or reason behind it if you consider that after the cutscene she was stabbing people in the jugular.

While sometimes pandering to minorities can be annoying (which this isn't).. why does this have nothing to do with game?

Likely scenario that Ellie's girlfriend is potentially murdered, she was a lesbian or at least bisexual in the first game/comic. So it has plenty to do with the story.

Do you say the same thing when Elena and Nate kiss?
A male kissing a chick isn't diverse enough to be added to a reveal trailer in the first place. I honestly don't care about who is gay or who is straight. Game companies can do whatever they want and if I hate it I just do not need to buy their product. But that scene simply had nothing to do with anything else in the game, they added it so the writers at Huffington Post can have a field day and say about how amazing this game will be (regardless on if they're actual gamers or not).

It's just a normal kiss between two people that love each other. Any other take away demonstrates your insecurity.
Oh man I am so insecure about computer code kissing each other, you won't even believe how insecure I am because of that.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Pretty much, they added a lesbian kissing scene for the reveal trailer since they knew millions were watching simply because it was a ****ing lesbian kissing scene. Absolutely no more or reason behind it if you consider that after the cutscene she was stabbing people in the jugular.

A male kissing a chick isn't diverse enough to be added to a reveal trailer in the first place. I honestly don't care about who is gay or who is straight. Game companies can do whatever they want and if I hate it I just do not need to buy their product. But that scene simply had nothing to do with anything else in the game, they added it so the writers at Huffington Post can have a field day and say about how amazing this game will be (regardless on if they're actual gamers or not).

Oh man I am so insecure about computer code kissing each other, you won't even believe how insecure I am because of that.
I mean you are clearly getting irrationally upset over the fact a lesbian character was shown kissing another girl...I mean it's not like they just randomly changed Ellie for the trailer to fit that in....she has literary always been gay in the game. You are just bumbling on about a bunch of nonsense at this point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean you are clearly getting irrationally upset over the fact a lesbian character was shown kissing another girl...I mean it's not like they just randomly changed Ellie for the trailer to fit that in....she has literary always been gay in the game. You are just bumbling on about a bunch of nonsense at this point.
I am actually not upset by any means, I started off my original post with a LOL. I think it is more hilarious that there's a lesbo kissing scene in the middle of the game where stabbing in the throat and curb stomps with hammers are common occurrence. It's like Doom having a rainbow in the middle of the game.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am actually not upset by any means, I started off my original post with a LOL. I think it is more hilarious that there's a lesbo kissing scene in the middle of the game where stabbing in the throat and curb stomps with hammers are common occurrence. It's like Doom having a rainbow in the middle of the game.
I mean that is fair I guess...but I mean isn't it slightly early to judge that? The first game wasn't only violence and zombie killing either it had a fully fleshed out story and character arc...so I'm not sure how having that in this game would be out of place?

Reactions: Beau Knows

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean that is fair I guess...but I mean isn't it slightly early to judge that? The first game wasn't only violence and zombie killing either it had a fully fleshed out story and character arc...so I'm not sure how having that in this game would be out of place?
I still think the lesbian scene is completely a forced agenda catered to a specific audience, but I am not going to avoid a potentially great game simply because of that. It's more about the timing and placement where I was like "WTF is this?" and laughed.

For the record I haven't played the first one yet, it's still in my PS4 cue after I finish Horzion: Zero Dawn so I can't comment. But if this trailer was anything like the first game, I am already getting hyped to play it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I still think the lesbian scene is completely a forced agenda catered to a specific audience, but I am not going to avoid a potentially great game simply because of that. It's more about the timing and placement where I was like "WTF is this?" and laughed.

For the record I haven't played the first one yet, it's still in my PS4 cue after I finish Horzion: Zero Dawn so I can't comment. But if this trailer was anything like the first game, I am already getting hyped to play it.

noframeofreference_zpsbyxk6cyk.gif~original

It's not random or forced in context.

Anyway...the explicit gore actually took me kinda aback during the trailer. It did it's job of making me uncomfortable. Graphics are officially good enough to get me to wince in a way only certain Jackass stunts have before.

Reactions: Pilky01

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I mean, I think that it's naive to think that the trendy political stuff doesn't play into it a little bit. Clearly more emphasis was placed onto it because it's lesbians rather than a straight thing, and you could reasonably argue that it's a little on the nose for that reason.

That said, I still think that it makes total sense, is cleverly done, probably has a lot to do with what the game will be about, and isn't at all random or out of place.

The argument that it's shoehorned in there and doesn't have anything to do with the game solely on the basis that she's brutally murdering people later on (Doom with rainbows) is a really really mind-numbingly stupid argument. The whole point of the trailer is to highlight the stark contrast between the brutal side and the trying-to-live-a-normal-life side of her life (which isn't a new theme in this series). To suggest that the former feels forced compared to the latter just because it's such a jarring tonal difference is completely asinine-- That's the whole ****ing point! (and it's the punchline to the trailer!) Functionally, it's no different than the joke-book stuff (or any other attempt to humanize Ellie as a child thrown into this situation) in the first one.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Don't worry, they'll fridge Ellie's girlfriend within like the first hour of the game anyways.

Reactions: Natey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->