The Last Gasp...push on to save the season talk here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

Listening to Bettman and Goodnow interviews everywhere.

The owners make 100003240343 percent more sense. They are acting proffesional.

the players are being lead by a child with a pitchfork.

The Owners won.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Crows said:
Listening to Bettman and Goodnow interviews everywhere.

The owners make 100003240343 percent more sense. They are acting proffesional.

the players are being lead by a child with a pitchfork.

The Owners won.

OUTSTANDING !!! "child with a pitchfork....' !!!! Dead on the mark..Goodenow is soooo done its not even funny !!!

A Good Flying Bird*

futurcorerock said:
you guys eat this up when the big E comes up in conversation.

Too bad you cant convey sarcasm through text, jerkasses

Well, having gone through J-school and having worked professionally as a writer for years, I can tell you that sarcasm is hard to pull off in print.

Suffice it to say, you didn't pull it off.

hockeyfan33

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
slats432 said:
Why does every thread have to get this guy's name mentioned?

Any more references to blogs and I will close the thread.

Thanks....

Goes off to take his ulcer pills.... :banghead:
really professional way of handling it, seems like you got a personal problem with the guy and it has nothign to do with board ethics

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Scugs said:
At this point in time, I think it's best to remain sour and pessimistic. This way you don't anticipate anything great happening, and don't get disappointed when it doesn't.

If something does happen then, bonus! :handclap:
So you tell me, you can controll your emotions? Man, that is a hard task... i mean, if you get excited, it just happens. one can try to at least keep it down a little bit and avoid getting the hopes to high... but apart from that, those emotions are out of control (at least for me)... brutal rollercoaster-ride for me !

Birdman

Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
"Asystole on the monitor Doctor" the nurse said.

"Internal paddles." The doctor said, "Charging, Clear!" ****ZAP!!!!*****

"We've got nothing."

"Charging again." He said, "Clear!" ****ZAP!!!!*****

"Still nothing."

"Charge it again!!!"

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
CaptainShark said:
So you tell me, you can controll your emotions? Man, that is a hard task... i mean, if you get excited, it just happens. one can try to at least keep it down a little bit and avoid getting the hopes to high... but apart from that, those emotions are out of control (at least for me)... brutal rollercoaster-ride for me !

Well, it's all about my expectations. I don't let myself expect a season being miracoulosly saved.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hate to be a wet towel, but if I'm an owner, even though we're not even 36 hours removed from cancellation, I'm not prepared to keep the last offer I made on the table simply because of the economic damage "cancelling" the season may have wrought. It's like when you buy a new car - the second you drive it off the lot, it loses a lot of its value.

The NHL was all over the news last night and this morning ... for all the wrong reasons. It's the laughing stock of the sports world now for having become the first league to cancel an entire season. A look-it's-dead-no-wait-it's-not! storyline may work for pro wrestling or something like that but not for a sport that supposedly takes itself seriously like the NHL.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The Maltais Falcon said:
Hate to be a wet towel, but if I'm an owner, even though we're not even 36 hours removed from cancellation, I'm not prepared to keep the last offer I made on the table simply because of the economic damage "cancelling" the season may have wrought. It's like when you buy a new car - the second you drive it off the lot, it loses a lot of its value.

The NHL was all over the news last night and this morning ... for all the wrong reasons. It's the laughing stock of the sports world now for having become the first league to cancel an entire season. A look-it's-dead-no-wait-it's-not! storyline may work for pro wrestling or something like that but not for a sport that supposedly takes itself seriously like the NHL.

Not necessarily. These are just words. Obviously this had an effect in which arena's and other factors are told what to do in light of the cancellation. But a simple phone call of "Start back up again." would fix that.

Also, making money I think would be more important than what the other sports have to say or think. Doesn't affect it one bit.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Scugs said:
Not necessarily. These are just words.
"The season is cancelled" is 'just words'?!

Also, making money I think would be more important than what the other sports have to say or think. Doesn't affect it one bit.
Who will they make money from? The sports fans, amongst whom the league has become a laughing stock. The hardcore fans will still be there, and I do think hockey's fan base has a much greater percentage of hardcore fans than any of the other big sports, but I think the cancellation will negatively impact the league's standing amongst more casual fans.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The Maltais Falcon said:
"The season is cancelled" is 'just words'?!

Who will they make money from? The sports fans, amongst whom the league has become a laughing stock. The hardcore fans will still be there, and I do think hockey's fan base has a much greater percentage of hardcore fans than any of the other big sports, but I think the cancellation will negatively impact the league's standing amongst more casual fans.

Yes they are just words. Just like "The season has been saved" are words. Things can be re-scheduled. What makes you think that a deal at 12:59 on Wednesday would be more realistic than a deal at 1:01?

Regarding the money. Right now, the NHL's only source of money is through their shop. And any other sales of merchandise that may occur. If the season is saved, there is your money.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:
A look-it's-dead-no-wait-it's-not! storyline may work for pro wrestling or something like that but not for a sport that supposedly takes itself seriously like the NHL.

Well the WWE is pretty successfull and may have a greater fan base in the States (all markets, territories combined) thanthe NHL. And even if it doesn't... whatever.

The League is going to bring in the Shootout to make fans excited. The League should bring itself back ASAP (wether for this season or the next) to get fans excited again... and thinking about rosters and buying tickets.

As of yesterday, true fans were depressed. That's not good.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
you don't think that the league resurecting itself would not draw people to it just to see what the hubbub is all about?

I mean.. this is more press than the NHL has EVER gotten!(albe it for wrong reasons)

And hockey fans..

We can piss and moan about the way it happend.. but not a one of us will complain if it happens... Not one...

Some may not like the short season.. think it is a sham... but it is HELL'a better than waiting to see if either side blinks next fall..?

Right?

:help:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Scugs said:
Regarding the money. Right now, the NHL's only source of money is through their shop. And any other sales of merchandise that may occur. If the season is saved, there is your money.
They will in deed make more money if play resumes but if the owners don't get a good deal they will also be spending a whole lot more money than they are now which is none.
I'd rather they wait till the PA caves even more and then get a deal than giving up even more concessions and get a bad deal.
If that happens they'd be better off without even playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad