Post-Game Talk: The Kings get the Fever @ 7:08pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So true. The Caps had the plumbers and the grinders but players like Fedorov, Sakic, Yzerman, Jagr, etc. always did them in. Caps would be the better for 55 minutes then *Wham!*

It’s nice to be on the other side of the coin.

The Caps had enough offense. Its just that Gartner was particularly vulnerable to the clutch and grab hockey of his era. Gartner was elite. What they really missed was a competitive goalie. With the defense corp they had, they should never have given up any goals.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
What a game! (and by that I mean what an uninspired effort for 50+ minutes)
Should've lost, LAK played a pretty good road game
Was there even a check thrown the 1st 40?
After 2-1, we get away with playing for 5 minutes or so and come away with 2 points and an all-of-a-sudden legendary OV performance, lol
25+ games to get it together, at least we didn't take 6 penalties, so that's a +, bottom 6 was decent, Holtby was better than his recent normal

The blind homer optimist in me says, the Caps have learned how to conserve their energy in the RS, and only expend just the minimum amount needed to get the job done, saving as much gas for the playoffs as possible. They sleepwalk through weak opponents until they need to turn it on, then they do what they need to do. Sometimes it backfires because the on switch isn't perfect, but there's not much better explanation for them sucking vs the Kings for 50 minutes than "they just didn't feel like wasting energy against them".

The multiple comebacks from multiple goals down late in games seems to support this theory. The disastrous three game series vs TB late last year, where they got worked, then fought harder but still lost, then finally won but lost Kempny in the process, I suspect that taught them a lesson about how much regular season games really mean.

I have a feeling they are going to go into the playoffs and lay some serious wood on their first round opponent. They are built for it and if they stay healthy, they should all have full tanks of gas for the two month war to come.

Of course I could be completely full of shit, and the Caps are just lazy and disinterested much of the time for no good reason - whereas my explanation above is a "good reason", its purposeful..... Discuss?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The Caps had enough offense. Its just that Gartner was particularly vulnerable to the clutch and grab hockey of his era. Gartner was elite. What they really missed was a competitive goalie. With the defense corp they had, they should never have given up any goals.

I meant the 1990s Caps. Lots of will but not as much skill. :(

The 1980s with that awesome D was another matter, though. Not good enough goaltending. :(

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The 90s Caps? The 90s teams had Peter Bondra.

And not much of a supporting cast of forwards. Hunter was a great leader who had some offensive skill. Pivonka was pretty good as was Juneau.

All pretty good players. Lots of heart. No game breaking talent like Jagr, Sakic, Yzerman, Fedorov, etc.

That was the point. For the record, I loved the 90s Caps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad