The Kane effect

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
E. Kane new deal at 7 x 7 who averages 51 pts a season seems rather high for someone who hasn’t competed in full seasons or reached there full potential. How is this going to impact Willy and Mitch’s new deals?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
E. Kane new deal at 7 x 7 who averages 51 pts a season seems rather high for someone who hasn’t competed in full seasons or reached there full potential. How is this going to impact Willy and Mitch’s new deals?
Not much. He was a UFA getting his last big contract while Mitch and Willy are RFAs getting their first post ELC.

It affects JVR's asking price though

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Not much. He was a UFA getting his last big contract while Mitch and Willy are RFAs getting their first post ELC.

It affects JVR's asking price though

Fortunately that shouldn't affect us. (I would have been okay with him at the right price, but never really saw that happening unless he's a really nice guy.)

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it won't at all tbh. Their comparables are guys like Ehlers or Pastrnak. I'd be shocked if Kane's name is brought up in negotiations

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It is not going to affect either Mitch's or Willy's contract but we are extremely fortunate to have Kadri signed for a bargain price. I hope Kadri is here for his entire career

Reactions: Notsince67

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Probably a good sign though that UFAs aren’t going to come cheap if the Leafs want to be buyers.

Think Dubas is going to be somewhat frugal here (and likely for the best).

Last edited:

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
crazy signing imo with his injury and attitude issues! Just he saddled an eastern conf team, think the Sharks are gonna regret that deal!

A guy from the Athletic did a comlete prediction on all UFA's ? RFA's and had Kane at around 7AAV but JVR at 5.5M and Willy at 5-6 yrs at 7M!!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
crazy signing imo with his injury and attitude issues! Just he saddled an eastern conf team, think the Sharks are gonna regret that deal!

A guy from the Athletic did a comlete prediction on all UFA's ? RFA's and had Kane at around 7AAV but JVR at 5.5M and Willy at 5-6 yrs at 7M!!
Yeah, Matt Cane. He's got a pretty good track record for his contract predictions. Personally, I can see JvR getting less than Kane too.

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
San Jose isn't the first team to think they have Kane fully on board. But he is older and looks like a player who makes a big impact when he's on.

So imagine the comparison:
A - UFA leverage, very good talent, good production, physical force, repeated history of misbehaviour, 7 for 7
B - RFA, great talent, better production, no physical game, little to no misbehaviour, much younger, ????
C - UFA leverage, great hands, good talent, better production, average physical game, no misbehaviour, 2 years older, ????

B = Nylander. Signed up to unrestricted free agency, it would be a graduated deal starting at $5M per year with the last years over $7M

C = JVR. Worth the same sort of money for a shorter term: 5 x $7M

Reactions: Boutette

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Almost nothing. This is a longer conversation about foolish spending. Kane got punted by 2 teams now. I don't see a long enough body of work to show me that E. has grown up.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Almost nothing. This is a longer conversation about foolish spending. Kane got punted by 2 teams now. I don't see a long enough body of work to show me that E. has grown up.
If you're Kane, you're loving Doug Wilson right now. Play your ass off for a couple months and cash in on $49 million. I can see him putting up a decent year next year no doubt, but there is no way he's making good on that contract in 2ish years. Foolish spending is right.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Probably a good sign though that UFAs aren’t going to come cheap if the Leafs want to be buyers.

Think Dubas is going to be somewhat frugal here (and likely for the best).

Especially since all we need forward-wise at the most are a couple of short-term bottom-sixers, which can be picked up at a much more economical rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->