Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
It's all over folks. ESPN's Greg Wyshinski (sp?) had his top 8 of Tavares destinations and the Blues weren't one of them.

Mar 6, 2012
The Blues make more sense as a destination than at least 5 of those teams.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Cap issues make it hard to impossible to work in his contract for all of those teams except NYI, Montreal, and Vancouver.

NYR, Tampa, and Detroit don't have the cap space now without moving out significant salary.
San Jose would be gambling into a 1 year window before cap would become an issue with Pavelski and Couture being UFA in 2019.
Toronto can't afford him with their big 3 coming of ELC's.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
which teams were on his list?
Johnny's next spot: Eight places Tavares could land in 2018

Islanders, Lightning, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Red Wings, Sharks, Rangers, and Canucks

I think you could eliminate a few teams from the start from being able to get him without major changes or major money offered:
Tampa (too expensive, no cap room)
Montreal (doesn't want the spotlight/publicity, no where close to winning.)
Detroit (no cap room, no where close to winning)

A few teams could afford him but they aren't close to winning:
San Jose (window is closing and would have to probably let Couture or Pavelski go...maybe both)
Vancouver (cap room, but young core that isn't quite there yet)
Islanders (cap room, but stadium issue, defense, and goalie are questionable at best)

A few teams that could afford him and are close:
Rangers (major money free after this year and have a good crop of young talent...worry is aging goalie)
Toronto (basically a bank and great core of young players, only worry would be the immense pressure on him)

I would say the Blues are a better option than about 5 of those teams. He'd probably love Tampa with Stamkos, but I don't see how Stevie Y affords him, Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov. He'd have to move out Callahan, Johnson, probably Point, and at least 1 defensemen. The Rangers are another obvious fit. He wouldn't have to move and they have a good team while missing a center piece C. The Islanders are his team currently and rarely do you see a franchise player move now a days. Weber sure...but Subban wasn't Montreal's. I can't think of anyone recently of Tavares's stature that was moved off their original team. So the obvious fits to me, Rangers, Blues, Islanders, Lightning.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sounds like the Isles are pretty close to making a new home at Belmont.

Belmont Park and Islanders Break New Ground

NHL rumors: Islanders - Belmont deal on verge of completion?

Obviously it is all speculation, but it appears that the Isles have the inside track. I can't imagine the Isle's owner would be saying things like, "We have no plan B and we haven't even thought about one," unless he is supremely confident that they are going to win the bid here. This is probably the most important news in the Tavares sweepstakes. I'd be shocked if they get a new arena in Belmont and he doesn't re-sign there.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/18/belmont-park-development-new-york-islanders-nycfc

A big moment in the Tavares situation. Lots of speculation that if the arena deal in Belmont gets approved, Tavares will re-sign as it will bring stability to The Islanders arena situation. If it’s not approved, he may be more apt to leave as the Isles will still have a lot of uncertainty in regards to their future.

Looks like I was beaten to it above.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/18/belmont-park-development-new-york-islanders-nycfc

A big moment in the Tavares situation. Lots of speculation that if the arena deal in Belmont gets approved, Tavares will re-sign as it will bring stability to The Islanders arena situation. If it’s not approved, he may be more apt to leave as the Isles will still have a lot of uncertainty in regards to their future.

Looks like I was beaten to it above.

Your article had new info. Announcement Wednesday puts us on the clock. If it goes in favor of the Isles, I wouldn't be surprised to see a press conference Thursday announcing an extension for Tavares.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
At least we will have closure. If Isles announce an extension before the end of the season. I expect talks with Stastny to heat up quickly.
Hopefully any Stastny contract talks don’t end with us signing him to a Steen contract.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Hopefully any Stastny contract talks don’t end with us signing him to a Steen contract.

Personally, I hope Steen is somehow traded in the off-season. I don't know who'd really want that contract, but maybe he'd waive to go to Winnipeg (if they finish well this year) or another team in the East who's more flush with cash and in need of a savvy vet...(NJ?). He's just been declining for the last two years and I feel like very quickly his contract is becoming the next albatross. He's still a good player who holds value, but not at nearly $6mil a year.

If they would though, that's more money to bring back Stastny and bring in some additional help.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Steen is on pace for just under 50 points. Keep in mind he came right in after being injured and it takes some time to get back up to speed. He's also probably one of the top two on the team in regards to being slid around. He's played LW, RW, and C and been on the first, second, and third line. I think he's more a victim of circumstance right now than actually as bad as some project him to be. He's not the Steen of old, but he is nowhere near a burden contract.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Steen is on pace for just under 50 points. Keep in mind he came right in after being injured and it takes some time to get back up to speed. He's also probably one of the top two on the team in regards to being slid around. He's played LW, RW, and C and been on the first, second, and third line. I think he's more a victim of circumstance right now than actually as bad as some project him to be. He's not the Steen of old, but he is nowhere near a burden contract.
I don’t believe his contract is a burden now. He is probably just slightly overpaid for what he has brought this year, but if his last few games are an indication, he will probably end up with better play when the season is all said and done. So he is either paid fairly or just slightly overpaid. I can live with that.

My problem is the contract length. Steen is already declining. In two/three years time, what will we be left with?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
my problem is him taking 75 foot shots from the back corner of the zone on the PP lol
There's nothing wrong with that, he just doesn't have Shattenkirk to set him up now. Steen has a lethal point shot if he has a lane. He's either not getting the puck quick enough or he's waiting too long. There's been a few times I saw him purposely just throw the puck into the defender because they pressured him so quickly. Maybe its out of frustration

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
There's nothing wrong with that, he just doesn't have Shattenkirk to set him up now. Steen has a lethal point shot if he has a lane. He's either not getting the puck quick enough or he's waiting too long. There's been a few times I saw him purposely just throw the puck into the defender because they pressured him so quickly. Maybe its out of frustration

If he's gonna rip a one-t. Get to the top of the circle on or inside the dot lane. your usually not scoring when your practically at the blue and 10 ft outside the dot lane. plus the rebound from that angle usually doesn't result in a second chance opportunity. That's why we harp on our D whether its PP or 5 on 5 to get inside the dots to and rip bombs. Just to clarify by "our" i mean the buffalo jr. sabres org i currently coach in lol.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Steen had a good point shot, but I'd never call it lethal. He was placed with Shattenkirk almost out of necessity (lack of a good point shot) and even before Shattenkirk left, he had declined. Steen's been declining for the last two seasons leading into this one. He needs to be on the half wall, not the point.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Steen had a good point shot, but I'd never call it lethal. He was placed with Shattenkirk almost out of necessity (lack of a good point shot) and even before Shattenkirk left, he had declined. Steen's been declining for the last two seasons leading into this one. He needs to be on the half wall, not the point.
I guess its semantics but he "had" a cannon for a shot. Id have to look it up, but it seems like he lost it after the shoulder injury at the end of 15-16

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Steen's one timer used to be very good. Haven't seen it as much this season but it does not look as potent as before.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
This is one of the hurdles the NYI needed to get over. If they miss the playoffs or lay an egg in the first round, does he still decide to stay with them? Does he say he's had enough and wants to go to a team that actually makes it consistently? Who knows. This closes the window a bit, but I think it's still very much open. A lot can happen between now and the start of the 2018/2019 hockey season.

Reactions: shmotz

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Reactions: Bluesnatic27

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I don’t buy that JT was just waiting in a new building. NYI has no future and currently are stuck in limbo. Barzal is one of the few bright spots for them.

If JT wants to win, he will leave. If he wants to win and get money, he will leave. If he wants money and is willing to not win for the sake of ____, then he will stay.

If he wants to win and make money, there is no better situation than STL for him. Does that mean he’s for sure or even likely to come here? No. But I don’t see any other team other than NYI that really has an advantage over STL. The question is “how big is that adavantage?”. I’m on the side that says it’s less than people think given NYI’s inability to ice a contender of the length of his ELC, and his current bargain contract.

Reactions: CaliBlues710
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad