Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Just another trade option for RW. His contract situation is similar to Nyquist’s in that he is a very talented player signed for this and next year under 5M.

Nyquist would probably be a better option since he would likely be cheaper to grab, but a guy can dream.

I’m of the mindset that next year is really our year to push, and have always thought this year we might challenge for the President’s Trophy but would need our rookies to get older and at least one of the kids to make their debut. Grabbing Tavares in FA and Simmonds in the off-season or even at next year’s trade deadline would be worth the loss in futures and he could be re-signed. Grabbing both for this run would likely be too costly, but if you are of the opinion that we should strike now, getting Tavares + Nyquist/Simmonds is the move you’d make and both of those moves don’t have to be met with losing other players if the cap goes up.

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Simmonds brings a much needed PP element to the team and a big real-deal net-front presence. You can’t go into the playoffs without that kind of player. While his style of play is rough, he’s not that old and could be cut in two years if his demands are too high (although I see him getting less than 6M long-term even with the rising cap).

Simmonds also isn’t just a bash and crash guy - this isn’t Backes or Lucic we are talking about. Simmonds is more of cerebral player than those two, and isn’t just about big hits and plowing through players - he’s similar to Schenn in that regard, and having Schwartz-Schenn-Simmonds would be the 100% chemistry line. In short, I don’t think he’s as big of a risk to decline drastically.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Simmond's next contract was one of the factors why Philly wanted to shed Schenn's contract. Wayne is as much of a core player in Philly as anyone else. They will make every possible effort to resign him. If he decides to hit the open market and Blues have Tavares locked up, I don't see how they will have the space to get Wayne as well.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
There is a way where we keep Stastny and get Tavares with a cap increase. Losing Stastny opens up the cap for Wayne. Also, Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson will both be gone by the time Wayne needs a raise.

I could see Philly wanting to trade Wayne since his age doesn’t fit their realistic window. They have to go through a good but not good enough phase like the Blues did, and they will likely not be good enough until Wayne is no longer a core player (a la Steen).

The cap is there, and we could run something like this by the time Wayne needs a raise

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Simmonds
Steen Thomas Sobotka

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko

And that doesn’t even include any upward movement by any prospects, trading Steen, or replacing Hutton with Husso. The cap will likely rise 5M by then, and that’s three years of a dominant roster.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
There is a way where we keep Stastny and get Tavares with a cap increase. Losing Stastny opens up the cap for Wayne. Also, Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson will both be gone by the time Wayne needs a raise.

I could see Philly wanting to trade Wayne since his age doesn’t fit their realistic window. They have to go through a good but not good enough phase like the Blues did, and they will likely not be good enough until Wayne is no longer a core player (a la Steen).

The cap is there, and we could run something like this by the time Wayne needs a raise

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Simmonds
Steen Thomas Sobotka

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko

And that doesn’t even include any upward movement by any prospects, trading Steen, or replacing Hutton with Husso. The cap will likely rise 5M by then, and that’s three years of a dominant roster.

Are you trading Berglund? What are you trading for Simmonds? I like the line up, but am curious what you gave up.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Berglund COULD be traded, and any of our prospects COULD be traded for Wayne (assuming Tavares in FA). I didn't want to say what I would trade for Wayne because I typically don't make good trade proposals. The point is that the assets and cap are there. Even if Thomas doesn't make it to 3C in 2019-2020 - Berglund's still available cap-wise. Personally, I would trad Berglund over Steen or Sobotka if Thomas is ready. And if more kids are ready, we can easily make room.

Again, Simmonds doesn't have to be the guy we get, but if you are of the opinion that we should be pushing starting this year, and not waiting until next, getting a guy like Simmonds is essential, imo, to playoff success.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The better Schenn looks, the more likely it will be that my Tavares-dream dies...but could you imagine the damage the Blues could do if they were to counter Poile’s Arms-race and match his Johansen/Turris combo with a Tavares/Schenn response. That would be insane...and effective, I’d imagine. I’d bet season tickets would increase for sure if Tavares would re-sign.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I think we should be getting ready to pluck from Montreal’s top 6, they’re looking like they could be heading towards a rebuild and aside from drouin I don’t really see anyone who would be guaranteed to stay with the team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The better Schenn looks, the more likely it will be that my Tavares-dream dies...but could you imagine the damage the Blues could do if they were to counter Poile’s Arms-race and match his Johansen/Turris combo with a Tavares/Schenn response. That would be insane...and effective, I’d imagine. I’d bet season tickets would increase for sure if Tavares would re-sign.
If Schenn is what he is....Poile is Matching Armstrongs moves. Johansen is a 60pt center and so is Turris. If Stastny could stay healthy, he's a 60pt guy. Nashville gets too much from name recognition

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think we should be getting ready to pluck from Montreal’s top 6, they’re looking like they could be heading towards a rebuild and aside from drouin I don’t really see anyone who would be guaranteed to stay with the team.

There are only two players from Montreals team that I would consider wanting to bring in. Gally and Pacioretty. Patches there's no chance we'd sign him long term, it would crest so many issues. And Gally is a risk but could return in spades. Value of Patches isn't as low as people like to speculate on here. In my opinion value on Gally is very low right now. It's never a good sight when someone who was internal comes out and sandbags a player who is struggling by bringing out personal information.

As to getting back on topic with that. Either acquisition of any player that is not a UFA completely decimates any possibility of Tavares.

I'm also unsure of why people are suggesting making a run at Gallagher. Especially with the way the general consensus was that the Sobotka contract was an overpayment. Gallagher is a 3rd line who can adequately play on the second line. Why would we not want Bergies but want Gallaghers. The only positive I see is he's a RH shot who can play on the PP but not necessarily be a distributor which would be the benefit of the RH shot on the PP as all of our top guns are LH

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
There are only two players from Montreals team that I would consider wanting to bring in. Gally and Pacioretty. Patches there's no chance we'd sign him long term, it would crest so many issues. And Gally is a risk but could return in spades. Value of Patches isn't as low as people like to speculate on here. In my opinion value on Gally is very low right now. It's never a good sight when someone who was internal comes out and sandbags a player who is struggling by bringing out personal information.

As to getting back on topic with that. Either acquisition of any player that is not a UFA completely decimates any possibility of Tavares.

I'm also unsure of why people are suggesting making a run at Gallagher. Especially with the way the general consensus was that the Sobotka contract was an overpayment. Gallagher is a 3rd line who can adequately play on the second line. Why would we not want Bergies but want Gallaghers. The only positive I see is he's a RH shot who can play on the PP but not necessarily be a distributor which would be the benefit of the RH shot on the PP as all of our top guns are LH
When you say “Gally” are you implying Galchenyuk? Because Gallagher is usually referred to as Gally as well. If that’s the case then I would be a little hesitant on Galchenyuk. He just looks like his heart isn’t in it right now. But who knows that could easily change on a new time.

I would love to see Lehkonen in a blues jersey, not sure what we would need to give up for something like that though.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
When you say “Gally” are you implying Galchenyuk? Because Gallagher is usually referred to as Gally as well. If that’s the case then I would be a little hesitant on Galchenyuk. He just looks like his heart isn’t in it right now. But who knows that could easily change on a new time.

I would love to see Lehkonen in a blues jersey, not sure what we would need to give up for something like that though.

Yes Galchenyuk sorry lol I'm on mobile and my phone is kind of bugged. Realized it halfway through and didn't really want to fight my phone to get back to change it lol. I don't see Lehkonen being traded that's why I didn't really touch on him

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Yes Galchenyuk sorry lol I'm on mobile and my phone is kind of bugged. Realized it halfway through and didn't really want to fight my phone to get back to change it lol. I don't see Lehkonen being traded that's why I didn't really touch on him
I think for the right price Bergevin would let him go. He would fit in nicely and can play both wings. What I was trying to get at in my original post was to attempt to take advantage of Bergevin. He will most likely need to do either one of two things.
A) rebuild
B) make a last ditch effort for a trade so he doesn’t get fired.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Personally i think Galchenyuk has checked out in Montreal. They said they would play him at center then before a single puck drop they change their minds. They just jack that guy around. It would be a risk but a huge reward if he rebounds in Stl. Its a case of watching old tape and new tape. See whats different.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I would offer BBshv + Schmaltz tbh. I think that covers both options for him. A 3/4 RW/C that can play in the NHL today and a point producing RD that is NHL ready

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I would rather have Nyquist or another RW that makes under 5 than Galchenyuk. Now that we have Schenn, he won’t get a shot at center, and that’s where he wants to play. Until the Tavares thing is over, I don’t think Galchenyuk would be a good fit.

He’s too passive along the boards and not quick enough to play wing at a good top 6 level, but playing him at C as the third man in might work, but it’s too risky if we can’t give him that opportunity and Tavares is still on the market.

I think tonight I’ll go through and find available C / RWs for under 5M that would be good targets. Simmonds, Nyquist, and Grabner would all work well with Stastny, but would also work well with a quick transition C like Tavares or Schenn. But that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Maybe I’ll do a rundown of Galchenyuk usage when he was putting up 30 goals. From what I remember he’s a sit still and shoot type of guy, and I don’t think that would fit well in STL.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Guys like Simmonds and Nyquist aren't going to be available. Simmonds is a core guy and the Wings will never rebuild. You would have to offer up a prime piece to get him. No thanks

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think Brendan Gallagher would be a great fit on a nice contract. not sure what he'd cost tho. Can play anywhere in the top 9

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Personally i think Galchenyuk has checked out in Montreal. They said they would play him at center then before a single puck drop they change their minds. They just jack that guy around. It would be a risk but a huge reward if he rebounds in Stl. Its a case of watching old tape and new tape. See whats different.
MTL drafted him 3rd overall and desperately needed him to succeed. This is his 6th year in the league he's still pulling down 3rd line minutes, even with a new head coach. Heck, this is the 4th straight year he's seen his ice time take a hit.

I don't claim to know exactly what is going on there, but I'd wager that Galchenyuk's actions have more to do with his current situation than whatever mismanagement MTL might have done. He didn't land on the organization's **** list on accident.

He may blossom in a new situation, but I don't see anyone paying a premium to find out, and MTL can ill-afford to sell him for pennies on the dollar.

If he values his career, he needs to pull his crap together and start playing better.

Reactions: 2 Minute Minor

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
MTL drafted him 3rd overall and desperately needed him to succeed. This is his 6th year in the league he's still pulling down 3rd line minutes, even with a new head coach. Heck, this is the 4th straight year he's seen his ice time take a hit.

I don't claim to know exactly what is going on there, but I'd wager that Galchenyuk's actions have more to do with his current situation than whatever mismanagement MTL might have done. He didn't land on the organization's **** list on accident.

He may blossom in a new situation, but I don't see anyone paying a premium to find out, and MTL can ill-afford to sell him for pennies on the dollar.

If he values his career, he needs to pull his crap together and start playing better.
I wouldn't want the Blues to pay a premium at all. I view him as a low cost reclamation project. His negative is that contract, which to me should lower his value even more.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What Blues reclamation project has turned out lately? And no Schenn isn’t a reclamation project.
So avoid skilled players because a few others didn't work out? Any time you get a chance to add a skilled player for pennies on the dollar, you have to look into it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So avoid skilled players because a few others didn't work out? Any time you get a chance to add a skilled player for pennies on the dollar, you have to look into it.
Ignore my question?

Steen maybe?

Disrupt team chemistry for a player known to have problems for hoped for upside. You need a good reason to do this when they are rolling like this and have some young fringe players who project to fill the very roles you are contemplating.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ignore my question?

Steen maybe?

Disrupt team chemistry for a player known to have problems for hoped for upside. You need a good reason to do this when they are rolling like this and have some young fringe players who project to fill the very roles you are contemplating.
How did I ignore your question? I didnt name anyone because I can't hink of anyone off the top of my head. That's why I asked if the Blues should avoid the situation because it hasn't worked out before.

Blues are looking for a middle 6 guy. Drubbing the Oilers and getting contributions from all 4 lines doesn't change the fact that the 3rd line sucks. They can play even with the other team but that can't last forever. Replacing a Paajarvi or Jaskin isn't going to kill chemistry. Breaking up the top line or moving Schenn back to wing, I could see that rubbing the team the wrong way. Like I've said, if Galchenyuk becomes available, the Blues should be looking into it. Im no pro scout but almost every time I see Galchenyuk, Im baffled as to why things are working. He has the skill, so that leaves me with a poor relationship with the team.

The Blues moved 2 glue guys last year in Shattenkirk and Reaves. They seemed to have gotten over it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
How did I ignore your question? I didnt name anyone because I can't hink of anyone off the top of my head. That's why I asked if the Blues should avoid the situation because it hasn't worked out before.

Blues are looking for a middle 6 guy. Drubbing the Oilers and getting contributions from all 4 lines doesn't change the fact that the 3rd line sucks. They can play even with the other team but that can't last forever. Replacing a Paajarvi or Jaskin isn't going to kill chemistry. Breaking up the top line or moving Schenn back to wing, I could see that rubbing the team the wrong way. Like I've said, if Galchenyuk becomes available, the Blues should be looking into it. Im no pro scout but almost every time I see Galchenyuk, Im baffled as to why things are working. He has the skill, so that leaves me with a poor relationship with the team.

The Blues moved 2 glue guys last year in Shattenkirk and Reaves. They seemed to have gotten over it.
You're talking about spending assets to acquire a player at a higher salary (on a later contract) than what they can do with just a little bit of patience internally with one of the several promising young forwards that are on the cusp. It nullifies some of the salary cap benefit of having guys on ELC. And it is a gamble in terms of team chemistry. All I'm saying is that this board throws out trade proposals like candy, and a real GM would need to have a very strong reason to pull the trigger on something like that. We've seen multiple examples in recent history of things not panning out. We should ignore that when discussing acquiring talented players?

Reactions: The Note in Ky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad