News Article: The Isles PK

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I love good hockey content. The X’s and O’s rarely get written about but are the core of good hockey.

Here is an amazing breakdown of our Penalty Kill and why we’ve been perfect to start the season. Rookies can’t do this, vets can. There IS an advantage to an older team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Great read. We'll see if it holds up over the course of the season because it's definitely a bit riskier than what we saw Trotz implement, but I do like our PKers.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Great read. We'll see if it holds up over the course of the season because it's definitely a bit riskier than what we saw Trotz implement, but I do like our PKers.
But is it really riskier? We were so passive in our zone under BT that we gave the offense more time to probe. It's kind of like how the 2-point conversion has evolved in the NFL. Before, you pretty much only went for two when it was necessary, now it's become a tactical approach. Maybe there's advanced stats on where the PP goals tend to come from, and this is the response to take away time and space. The article pointed out how the one-timer is focused on (this setup seems to take on the Stamkos-Kucherov cross ice pass, as an example).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But is it really riskier? We were so passive in our zone under BT that we gave the offense more time to probe. It's kind of like how the 2-point conversion has evolved in the NFL. Before, you pretty much only went for two when it was necessary, now it's become a tactical approach. Maybe there's advanced stats on where the PP goals tend to come from, and this is the response to take away time and space. The article pointed out how the one-timer is focused on (this setup seems to take on the Stamkos-Kucherov cross ice pass, as an example).

PP and PK approaches evolve over time and cycle through different systems every so often, so it's important to keep adapting. The Islanders had the third best PK in the league last year, so I'd say this is definitely riskier because it increases the chances of someone being caught out of position. Riskier doesn't mean it'll be less successful though, we do have veteran/smart PKers so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Maybe they'll get more shorthanded opportunities this year (and convert them).

Reactions: Riseonfire

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This was funny to read, and then sad.
If we're not laughing, we're crying

Kinda like climbing to the roof. Game time decision. Am I jumping or shooting??

I like them too. Good example of practice makes perfect!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Still perfect. We’re actually +1 in goal differential through 28 consecutive successful PKs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad