The hype machine around Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
Hum, here's another player being compared to Gretzky.
Spezza and Lindros were once labeled as "The Next One".
I would like to know how much Crosby is being hyped compared to the two others?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
PockIsGoD said:
Agree.
Lindros was definitely more hyped because he had as much skill but was so complete. Two-Way play, incredible power-forward ect.

Not many will buy that Lindros was as skilled, but he certainly was the most powerful 18 year old skilled player I ever saw. If the same package came along today he would be hyped as much again...and for good reason.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Crosbyfan said:
Not many will buy that Lindros was as skilled, but he certainly was the most powerful 18 year old skilled player I ever saw. If the same package came along today he would be hyped as much again...and for good reason.

Not as skilled as Gretzky or Crosby at the same age?

If Lindros was healthy, he'd be one of the best players to ever touch a puck.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Reveille said:
Not as skilled as Gretzky or Crosby at the same age?

If Lindros was healthy, he'd be one of the best players to ever touch a puck.

No, not as skilled. Certainly not comparable to Gretzky. If he was he would be THE best player to ever touch the puck.

Unless you think that Gretzky was equal physically?

Other than that I think Eric could have been top 10 all time if healthy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Crosbyfan said:
No, not as skilled. Certainly not comparable to Gretzky. If he was he would be THE best player to ever touch the puck.

Unless you think that Gretzky was equal physically?

Other than that I think Eric could have been top 10 all time if healthy.

I'd say top 5. Right up there with Howe and Gretzky. Honestly, what other forward would've been more dominant? Messier would be up there too, obvously. But other then that, you've got Orr (as a defender). I think he'd be up there.

And wasn't there a time when he had the best ppg of ALL TIME for like 3 or 4 years when he was with Philly?

Comming out of juniors, I don't think Crosby is even close to Lindros' skill set.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CrossCheck said:
Crosby is too small for 2K+ hockey...

:lol:

you don't even have one clue do you. Martin St-Louis is way too small for the NHL as well, yeah he isn't a good player at all. Crosby is 5'10-190, Brule is smaller than Crosby.

If you only knew the talent Crosby had.

In Lindros's Case here folk IMO, Lindros and Crosby IMO are about equal with the hype IMO, Spezza not as hyped as the other two. Lindros never had quite the skill crosby has but his strength and size set him apart and he was the new generation really, Lindros added toughness, Finess, brains and all around game and a super high skill level, actually at one point he was my favorite player in the NHL because bar none he was the best for some till injuires kicked in. Crosby has better knowledge, vision and read of the game than what Lindros had and he can dominate the game in a different way rather than brut strength.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I would say Spezza had fairly equal hype to Lindros and Crosby if you went to about 2 years before the draft, but the hype on him died down considerably once everyone realized Kovalchuk was better.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
moosefan said:
If you only knew the talent Crosby had.

It's strange... Really strange. There's a lot of people over here saying that Crosby's skills aren't all that great. Have they even seen the guy play? He's one of the most gifted playmake I've seen, and he's really really fun to watch. He's fast, he stickhandle at top speed, he's very smart, etc etc. He can also play a good defensive game and he's willing to play physical.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
ax²+bx+c said:
It's strange... Really strange. There's a lot of people over here saying that Crosby's skills aren't all that great. Have they even seen the guy play? He's one of the most gifted playmake I've seen, and he's really really fun to watch. He's fast, he stickhandle at top speed, he's very smart, etc etc. He can also play a good defensive game and he's willing to play physical.

I agree 100%, I can't wait to see this kid play in the NHL. :yo:

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
ax²+bx+c said:

And he can pull some sick moves... and I mean sick moves. He is very creative with his moves... I saw him deke a goalie in a very innovative way: being at the side of the goalie, he throw the puck on his skate while skating, and then he kick the puck back to his stick... the net is open. That was just a quick move and a really strange one.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Crosby is GREAT. However, the QMJHL may be short-changing the other talented players. Someone (in the league) might want to think about changing their strategy when, for example, Rimouski wins 5-2 and Crosby gets highlighted for having "AN" assist. He is a great player, fun to watch, and has amazing skills, but he's NOT the ONLY player worth highlighting. This said, Quebec did draw 10,900 when "the next one" played there the other night.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
markov` said:
And he can pull some sick moves... and I mean sick moves. He is very creative with his moves... I saw him deke a goalie in a very innovative way: being at the side of the goalie, he throw the puck on his skate while skating, and then he kick the puck back to his stick... the net is open. That was just a quick move and a really strange one.

Somebody has been watching Pavel Bure highlights...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I've never seen Crosby play live but I believe that he has amazing potential...though his size is going to hinder him in the NHL. I'm not saying he couldn't be an all-star at some point but I can't see him dominating the league like The Great One or Super Mario.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
usiel said:
I've never seen Crosby play live but I believe that he has amazing potential...though his size is going to hinder him in the NHL. I'm not saying he couldn't be an all-star at some point but I can't see him dominating the league like The Great One or Super Mario.
Because ,ofcourse The Great One was so big ,right. :D

PEli*

CrossCheck said:
Crosby is too small for 2K+ hockey...

Lindros was the total package with less pure offensive talent...

Spezza could be the closest to Wayne IMO

Martin St. Louis sucks too. And do you know what? Crosby has more skill than St. Louis does.

People have got to understand that we're talking about a seventeen year old. A seventeen year old who, if not hampered by a knee and ankle injuries this year, would probably be running away with every scoring statistic in the CHL.

That's not to say that he won't be a complete bust (see: 2nd liner by HF prospect guidelines) but to say that he won't be able to compete at the NHL level is foolishness. I don't like bringing out the ever popular "Have you ever watched him play?" question, so I won't. I won't because I know you haven't. Other than a few Sportsnet games and prospects games, you haven't.

I've had the oppertunity to watch him play countless times. With the Canada Selects last year, with the Subways and with Rimouski. During each and every game I watched, Crosby was the guy who changed the game. Whether it was by creating scoring chances, scoring, taking defenders away from his teammates and opening the ice up for them or drawing penalties.

The guy is as good as the hype machine says. It's hard to believe but it really is true. As much as I hate to admit it (because he plays for Rimouski, a team I can't stand), he is everything you've heard and more. He can compete.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I find it quite ironic that people on this board are saying that Cosby is going to be
a great player.Last year if someone mentioned it here he would be raked over the coals.IMO,Sidney has had a very disappointing year although there are some
circumstances beyond his control .Things may turn around yet but so far it's
really pretty dismal compared to what he did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad