The Hockey News Top 50 for 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Has anyone else seen this mess of a top 50 list? Its the issue with Crosby on the cover. I just got it today.

Horribly done top 50 in my opinion. Rask was the 3rd goalie ranked, Pouliot was ahead of Johnson and Brule and a buinch of other things I cant remember.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
That's a bit weird, but they have them in about the right order.

I'd have them :

1. Rask (Top 10)
2. Price (10-15)
3. Pavelec (15-20)
4. Vincent (25-30)
5. Frazee (25-30)

I could really see 5 goaltenders going in the 1st round, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pavelec go in the top 10.

BTW La-La-Laprise thanks for posting those info! :clap:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Frazee will probably go in the 1st round on the shoulders of his HUGE U18 showing. Not that he wasnt on the radar before but that tournement really put him on the 1st rd map.

Im still not sold on Rask, Pavelec or Price.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
La-La-Laprise said:
Frazee will probably go in the 1st round on the shoulders of his HUGE U18 showing. Not that he wasnt on the radar before but that tournement really put him on the 1st rd map.

I fully expect Frazee to be the back-up (and maybe starter) to Schneider for the U.S. at the 2006 WJC's. Minnesota picked up a great goaltender for their program.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:

Frazee really raised all year on my list. In mid-november I had him in the 80 range, then he raised to the 40 range and he's made it in the first round following his excellent U18 tournament.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I'm in London for the Memorial Cup and my wife told me yesterday that the THN issue had showed up. Very curious to see what the list looks like.

One thing though, anybody who is shocked at where certain players are ranked needs to realize that there is probably a different top 10 list for each NHL team. (It goes without saying that the rest of the draft boards are probably all different too.) This idea that there is a concensus on where players are ranked (other than Crosby, that is) is just not the case.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
La-La-Laprise said:

I wouldn't go that far. I doubt Frazee will go in the 1st.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
La-La-Laprise said:

I dont think it put him on the map any more than he was before, except for with people who had never seen him play before, and I doubt he goes 1st round.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Hedberg16 said:
What was the THN writer thinking.

Gilbert Brule is much better than Benoit Pouliot

Not disagreeing with your opinion, but both ISS and the CSB midterm rankings have Pouliot above Brule and I bet THN looked at both those rankings.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I don't know, pouliot is a bit older than most players in this draft, I'd be a bit worried putting him at #2 now. His upside is undeniable though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Hedberg16 said:
I know, but those were midterm rankings. You think THN could keep up.

Or maybe, just maybe they are right.

Not every scouting company is wrong. If they had Pouliot at number 2 midseason, he's only improved his stock since then, not decrease it. He had an excellent playoffs for Sudbury. And a very good playoffs in the CHL can really do wonders for your stock, just ask Brent Burns.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Brock said:
Or maybe, just maybe they are right.

Not every scouting company is wrong. If they had Pouliot at number 2 midseason, he's only improved his stock since then, not decrease it. He had an excellent playoffs for Sudbury. And a very good playoffs in the CHL can really do wonders for your stock, just ask Brent Burns.

Burns is a mystery. Is he a winger? A defenceman? Make up your mind Brent.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Anyone disapointed with the lack of content on each prospect? I know i am. 3 sentences for each player isn't half of what i was expecting.

Waste of money.

If I wanted a number beside there names and there picture i could of did it myself.

faucon

May 11, 2005
Brule before Pouliot ... I realy don't know.

Someone knows about Brule's injuries ? Injuries when you are in juniors it's not good for the future. Are they serious or not ?

Maybe injuries influences his rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad