The Hockey News Top 100 Players

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
reckoning said:
Bryan Trottier isn`t there either. ESPN really should`ve hired someone to proofread the list and point out the obvious omissions before they released it.

Yeah the ESPN list not having Trottier is embarrassing and a disgrace.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
They also have Francis ahead of Morenz, Bobby Clarke, and Milt Schmidt, Mogilny ahead of Dickie Moore, what a joke. :shakehead

Hockeyfan6781

Mar 2, 2003
Hamburg, NY
Leaf Lander said:
Can somone get me a copy of The Hockey News Top 100 Players

I have the top 50 but i need the other 50

[ The Hockey News Top 50 list

1. Wayne Gretzky, C
2. Bobby Orr, D
3. Gordie Howe, RW
4. Mario Lemieux, C
5. Maurice Richard, RW
6. Doug Harvey, D
7. Jean Beliveau, C
8. Bobby Hull, LW
9. Terry Sawchuk, G
10. Eddie Shore, D
11. Guy Lafleur, RW
12. Mark Messier, C
13. Jacques Plante, G
14. Ray Bourque, D
15. Howie Morenz, C
16. Glenn Hall, G
17. Stan Mikita, C
18. Phil Esposito, C
19. Denis Potvin, D
20. Mike Bossy, RW
21. Ted Lindsay, LW
22. Red Kelly, C/D
23. Bobby Clarke, C
24. Larry Robinson, D
25. Ken Dryden, G
26. Frank Mahovlich, LW
27. Milt Schmidt, C
28. Paul Coffey, D
29. Henri Richard, C
30. Bryan Trottier, C
31. Dickie Moore, LW
32. Newsy Lalonde, C
33. Syl Apps, C
34. Bill Durnan, G
35. Patrick Roy, G
36. Charlie Conacher, RW
37. Jaromir Jagr, RW
38. Marcel Dionne, C
39. Joe Malone, C
40. Chris Chelios, D
41. Dit Clapper, D
42. Bernie Geoffrion, RW
43. Tim Horton, D
44. Bill Cook, RW
45. Johnny Bucyk, LW
46. George Hainsworth, G
47. Gilbert Perreault, C
48. Max Bentley, C
49. Brad Park, D
50. Jari Kurri, RW

http://slam.canoe.ca/Gretzky/gretzky_top50.html

Quote:
50 Jari Kurri
51 Nels Stewart
52 King Clancy
53 Bill Cowley
54 Eric Lindros
55 Harvey "Busher" Jackson
56 Peter Stastny
57 Ted Kennedy
58 Andy Bathgate
59 Pierre Pilote
60 Turk Broda
61 Frank Boucher
62 Cy Denneny
63 Bernie Parent
64 Brett Hull
65 Aurel Joliat
66 Toe Blake
67 Frank Brimsek
68 Elmer Lach
69 Dave Keon
70 Grant Fuhr
71 Brian Leetch
72 Earl Seibert
73 Doug Bentley
74 Borje Salming
75 Georges Vezina
76 Chuck Gardiner
77 Clint Benedict
78 Steve Yzerman
79 Tony Esposito
80 Billy Smith
81 Serge Savard
82 Alex Delvecchio
83 Cecil "Babe" Dye
84 Lorne Chabot
85 Sid Abel
86 Bob Gainey
87 Johnny Bower
88 Sprague Cleghorn
89 Mike Gartner
90 Norm Ullman
91 Sweeney Schriner
92 Joe Primeau
93 Darryl Sittler
94 Joe Sakic
95 Dominik Hasek
96 Babe Pratt
97 Jack Stewart
98 Yvan Cournoyer
99 Bill Gadsby
100 Frank Nighbor

Ty Hockey Outside and BM67

Lindros ahead of Sakic, Yzerman, and Hasek? :shakehead FOR SHAME

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
hockeyfan6781 said:
Lindros ahead of Sakic, Yzerman, and Hasek? :shakehead FOR SHAME
Keep in mind that this survey was taken in 1996. Before Yzerman captained three teams to the Stanley Cup. Right after Sakic had won the Conn Smythe, but before the 01 Cup and the three first team all-star selections. And before Hasek won four Vezinas, two Harts, two Pearsons and a Cup. In the case of Jagr, Lindros and Leetch, their placing was partially reflective of what they were expected to do. Lindros will not appear in the next top 100 in 2022, and I'd be surprised if Leetch is in there, either.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
The idea that an active player could actually drop behind already retired ones over time doesn't make any sense whatsoever IMO.

It doesn't matter if a player's had some poor seasons lately - at least he's managed to add something to his resume. A few more goals and assists, perhaps even a playoff appearance or two. Unlike oldtimers who haven't done anything within that same time period.

Therefore, Lindros of 2006 should be clearly a greater player than Lindros of 1996 and Jagr of 2006 should be easily a greater player than Jagr of 1996.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Sampe said:
The idea that an active player could actually drop behind already retired ones over time doesn't make any sense whatsoever IMO.

It doesn't matter if a player's had some poor seasons lately - at least he's managed to add something to his resume. A few more goals and assists, perhaps even a playoff appearance or two. Unlike oldtimers who haven't done anything within that same time period.

Therefore, Lindros of 2006 should be clearly a greater player than Lindros of 1996 and Jagr of 2006 should be easily a greater player than Jagr of 1996.
But Jagr and Lindros' ranking were based largely on what they would do in the future. Former THN head honcho Steve Dryden even admitted so himself when Jagr finished ahead of Yzerman, Gartner, Stastny and a few others.

Jagr's ranking will improve, although I don't know if it'll be that much, considering Trottier is No. 29, and most of the voters put a high emphasis on winning Cups and performing in the playoffs. (Dryden also said that if the voting had taken place in 1998, Yzerman would have cracked the top 50 because of his playoff performances in 1997 and 1998). Lindros will fall, and he will be lucky to crack the top 100.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
God Bless Canada said:
Lindros will fall, and he will be lucky to crack the top 100.

Not that I've done much research on the greatest NHLers myself, but just out of curiosity: would Lindros crack your personal top 100 and if so, would he be higher or lower than Cam Neely; another gifted player whose career was spoiled by injuries?

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
Sampe said:
Not that I've done much research on the greatest NHLers myself, but just out of curiosity: would Lindros crack your personal top 100 and if so, would he be higher or lower than Cam Neely; another gifted player whose career was spoiled by injuries?

Lindros and Neely are interesting. They're certainly great enough for the Top 100, but due to injuries their periods of greatness were not that long, and some people think that's important when doing these lists; it depends on who is doing the list, I think I would have both, or at least Lindros in my Top 100.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If memory serves me right (which it usually does), Neely just missed the top 100. When THN first released a list of the finalists for the top 50 (I think there were 91 players), Neely was mentioned as a guy who just missed out of being a finalist. (Note: THN originially only released the Top 50 in February of 1998, then released a top 100 later in the year. Other players who just missed being one of the 91 finalists, such as Sakic and Sittler, did crack the top 100.

In terms of peak value, Neely's top 100. As far as a career, he is not. If not for the injuries, Neely likely winds up in the top 50. He was a fantastic playoff performer. Scouts have spent the last decade endeavouring to find the next Neely, but haven't found a player who combines size, strength, physical play, goal scoring ability and clutch play in a way that Neely did. I don't know if they ever will.

The thing we have to remember about Neely is we never saw him at his best for an extended period of time. Injuries robbed him of the prime of his career. The Neely that obliterated the opposition in the 1991 playoffs was going to be the Neely for the next five or six years. He was just shy of his 26th birthday when the injury happened. He already had two 50-goal seasons and three second-team all-star selections, and you could tell by watching him each year that he was getting better. Three or four 70-goal seasons would not have been out of the question. He had a 50-50 season playing on essentially one leg, and he was close to a point-per-game in his final two years despite the deterioration in his lower body. Neely never had a prime, but he still managed 395 goals and is fourth all-time in playoff goals per game.

We saw Lindros at his best for notable spurts, but not extended periods of time. The Lindros we saw in 1995 and in 1998-99 was as good as it was going to get for him. Again, he's a guy who would be top 100 for peak value, and while he did have a prime, it wasn't lengthy. He could have been a top 50 all-time player, too. But the name Eric Lindros doesn't always conjure up positive connotations for hockey people. Two things work against Lindros' place in the game.

1) He has a spotty playoff record. He was a top scorer in the 1997 playoffs. But in that playoff, he will be best remembered for a Harry Houdini act in the final against Detroit. He was shut down by two rookies in 1996 (Jovanovski and Warrener) and was far from stellar in 1995 against New Jersey. The stats look good, but he was often a guy who vanished when he was really needed.
2) His struggles after the stellar 1998-99 season. He was never the same player after the potentially-fatal internal injuries suffered late in the 1998-99 season. (Reports indicated he would have died had he flown back to Philly after the game). He's had a lot of injuries since then, but even when healthy, he looks disinterested, apathetic, and frankly, he's not anywhere close to the physical force he once was. I think his odds of reaching the HHOF would have been better if he would have retired after the 1998-99 season.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
Leaf Lander said:
hopefully lidnros can return to the nhl and do what jagr did last yr

LOL, you only say that because you're a Maple Leafs fan. I will be shocked if Lindros will ever be the player he used to be. He's too worried about having another concussion, that's why he's not as physical as he used to be.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
God Bless Canada said:
We saw Lindros at his best for notable spurts, but not extended periods of time. The Lindros we saw in 1995 and in 1998-99 was as good as it was going to get for him.

Are you sure? The Lindros we saw in 1995 was barely 22 years old and the Lindros of 1998-99 had already missed 49 games within the previous two seasons.

Lindros' point production in 1996-97 was actually superior to his 1994-95 performance as overall scoring in the league went down. He was even slightly superior to Jagr stat wise despite Lemieux's influence.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Bluesfan1981 said:
LOL, you only say that because you're a Maple Leafs fan. I will be shocked if Lindros will ever be the player he used to be. He's too worried about having another concussion, that's why he's not as physical as he used to be.

yah im such a novice to all time hockey and to players place in the game

welcome to the history of hockey boards kid :amazed:

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Sampe said:
Are you sure? The Lindros we saw in 1995 was barely 22 years old and the Lindros of 1998-99 had already missed 49 games within the previous two seasons.

Lindros' point production in 1996-97 was actually superior to his 1994-95 performance as overall scoring in the league went down. He was even slightly superior to Jagr stat wise despite Lemieux's influence.
There's more to evaluating a performance than stats. Lindros was nowhere near as good in 1997 as he was in 1995. Many will tell you that 1998-99 was the best he played, and frankly, I agree. He was everything he was hyped to be during that season. When you WATCHED him play that year, and how he dominated on a nightly basis (likely the second-best player in the league that year after Jagr), it's hard to imagine him getting any better.

Sorry, LL, but Lindros will never come close to being the player he once was. He doesn't have the mentality he used to have, and you can tell by watching him that his skills have eroded. If he could return to the level of his first year in New York, he should be happy. But to expect a return to the form shown in the lockout year and 1998-99, or even 1995-96 or 1996-97, is expecting way too much. He just doesn't have it anymore. At least with Jagr, you watched him play and knew that there was a chance for him to return to past levels in the right situation. This year's Rangers were definitely the right situation.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Lindros can still be a decent player. Playing at the level Jagr did last season and competing for the NHL scoring lead and the Hart is out of the question.

Even bringing it up is kinda silly.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
God Bless Canada said:
There's more to evaluating a performance than stats. Lindros was nowhere near as good in 1997 as he was in 1995. Many will tell you that 1998-99 was the best he played, and frankly, I agree. He was everything he was hyped to be during that season. When you WATCHED him play that year, and how he dominated on a nightly basis (likely the second-best player in the league that year after Jagr), it's hard to imagine him getting any better.

Something in that equation doesn't make sense. Lindros was hyped to be "the next one"; he was considered the most gifted player of his generation. And yet Jagr managed to outplay him in his career season?

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
Sampe said:
Something in that equation doesn't make sense. Lindros was hyped to be "the next one"; he was considered the most gifted player of his generation. And yet Jagr managed to outplay him in his career season?

Jagr was easily the best player in the league in 1998-99; Hart trophy, won the scoring title by 20 points

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Sampe said:

I'm sure there would have been a little more Jagr hype if he was Canadian and not Czechoslovakian. Everyone from behind the iron curtain was an unknown commodity. Look how low some of the European stars got drafted in the early 90's.

No shame in coming second to a guy like Jagr anyways. One of the greatest offensive stars the game has ever seen.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
arrbez said:
I'm sure there would have been a little more Jagr hype if he was Canadian and not Czechoslovakian. Everyone from behind the iron curtain was an unknown commodity. Look how low some of the European stars got drafted in the early 90's.

No shame in coming second to a guy like Jagr anyways. One of the greatest offensive stars the game has ever seen.

True, but my point still stands: if Lindros was everything he was hyped to be in 1998-99, he should have been better than Jagr. He wasn't, which either means that he was somewhat overrated to begin with or that he never truly reached his potential.

As I said, something in that equation doesn't make sense.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Sampe said:
True, but my point still stands: if Lindros was everything he was hyped to be in 1998-99, he should have been better than Jagr. He wasn't, which either means that he was somewhat overrated to begin with or that he never truly reached his potential.

As I said, something in that equation doesn't make sense.

I don't see how Jagr's achievements have anything to do with Lindros reaching his potential.

He was hyped as the best prospect in a long time, and of the prospects that we knew of, he was. Nobody knew Jagr would have been this good, or he clearly would have been picked 1st overall in his draft. That doesn't mean Lindros failed to reach his potential.

Prior to the Stevens hit in 2000, Lindros had 659 points in 486 games (that's a 110 point average pace per 82 game season, if he could have ever stayed healthy). That's a pretty fantastic pace for a guy who played the way Eric did. I'd say he lived up to every bit of the hype. He was well on his way to a first ballot HOF career before getting KO'd.

Jagr was a better offensive player, but Lindros was certainly better at every other aspect of the game. In my mind, they were fairly equal. If Lindros could have ever played an 82 game schedual he may have more than the one MVP. Hell, in 1995 the two of them tied for points and Lindros was awarded both the Hart and Pearson. Their greatness was very comparable, but they played styles that aren't easily compared.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
arrbez said:
I don't see how Jagr's achievements have anything to do with Lindros reaching his potential.

He was hyped as the best prospect in a long time, and of the prospects that we knew of, he was. Nobody knew Jagr would have been this good, or he clearly would have been picked 1st overall in his draft. That doesn't mean Lindros failed to reach his potential.

I just had a different picture of the hype that surrounded Lindros. Wasn't he considered the next one in the line of Howe-Orr-Gretzky-Lemieux? I remember having lots of debates with my classmate between 1995 and 1997 on who was better, Lemieux or Lindros (I was a Lemieux fan, he supported Lindros).

And as great as Jagr is, I wouldn't quite include him in that same group. Plus I'm pretty suspicious of the injuries Lindros sustained even before his supposed career year.

But oh well, it's all speculation anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->