The Hockey News apologizes (and explains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundstrom

Feb 20, 2005
New Jersey
www.1800lighting.com
doesn't make me feel much better. THN comes off looking like a child as well. Media-blackout? your the ****ing HOCKEY news. where would you be without the sport?! you are just as big a problem with the game as obstruction. when the very people that are supposed to promote the game have "fantasies" about destroying it, you know the sport has a lot to overcome.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Good, they proved their point, and I'm glad they apologized, their explination sounds reasonable, and I'm wiling to forigive them for starting it.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They had me buying their apology until they said that they, "stand behind their source". How can you possibly stand behind your source when your source was so dead wrong? He may have had good intentions, but was obviously out of the loop and misinformed. It never ceases to amaze me the way journalists will stand behind sources that have so obviously led them astray.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
SuperNintendoChalmrs said:
I gave up my subscription to that rag about 3 or 4 years ago.

:lol
I find it to be a great magazine. And it's also about the only hockey magazine in the whole world.

And it's easy to make a mistake, especially when someone you trust tells you your information. There was no need to apologize, really, but it's nice that they apologized for getting fans hopes up.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Commissioner Gary Bettman then started spinning a conspiracy theory, claiming the union set up the league to make it (or him) look bad.

Which he claimed was because they called the meeting. Which was corroborated by Gretzky. If you're going to blast other people for taking your half truth, half fact as all fact, don't do the same.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruins4419 said:
Who were these other well-placed sources? I wonder if they were from both sides, and not just from the players.
It would be nice to know that.

It would make THN's claim more credible if they DID hear from both sides. THN certainly understands this so I'm inclined to think they heard from only one side: the Association's. If it was the case, I'd think they'd make it a point to say that everyone pulled the wool over their eyes, and thus they can't be blamed for being deceived.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
- Has anyone asked themselves if THN was in part motivated by their publication schedule changing to bi-weekly and wasn't their publisher turfed a few weeks ago. Maybe they were more concerned about their jobs......then the truth

KeyserSoze

Jan 28, 2005
TSNs source...

Someone fed them a half truth or a lie. With that much egg on their face, why not name their source? :dunno:

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
wow, it only took them 72hours to come up with THAT!

you were lied to, but your source was impeccable. And hell, even the source is shrugging his shoulders. that makes it ok in my book! "mommy, timmy said so!!"

in my job, if i screwed up THAT BAD, an apology would not take 3 days, and it would be a lot more informative than............ :dunno:

any news on who the source was? a player rep? McCabe the genious maybe?

Reilly311

I subscribe to the hockey news. Throughout the lockout, their mags have been so lack luster. Every issue has something about the CBA, crap about what we would have seen had their been a season, then a bunch of stats from the hockey world no one cares about that are 5 days old by the time I actually read it.

It gives me something to read during lunch, but it's crap. I also read that they make two different versions. An American and Canadian one. WTF is that about? I know for a fact their prospects issue didn't read "Americas best prospects" in the canadian issues. I remember reading that when canada lost the WJC last year that the canadian issue cover had something about Canada losing rather than the US winning.

I think I'm going to take a **** in a box and mail it to them with a note saying "eat ****" and put a fork and some napkins in there.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Reilly311 said:
I subscribe to the hockey news. Throughout the lockout, their mags have been so lack luster. Every issue has something about the CBA, crap about what we would have seen had their been a season, then a bunch of stats from the hockey world no one cares about that are 5 days old by the time I actually read it.

It gives me something to read during lunch, but it's crap. I also read that they make two different versions. An American and Canadian one. WTF is that about? I know for a fact their prospects issue didn't read "Americas best prospects" in the canadian issues. I remember reading that when canada lost the WJC last year that the canadian issue cover had something about Canada losing rather than the US winning.

I think I'm going to take a **** in a box and mail it to them with a note saying "eat ****" and put a fork and some napkins in there.

Hehe I been so proud of you behaving the last few weeks, now you post this...for shame!

:lol:

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
I understand the Hockey News protecting their source, but obviously the source was fed a load of bull by someone who is probably connected directly or indirectly to the NHLPA so to defend the source as being reliable is ludicrous. What if the source calls the Hockey News again tomorrow with a story -are they going to accept it as gospel truth? If he defends his lying source, then his credibility is shot. And when they say, "Our source’s story was corroborated by many other well-placed sources in the industry," who are they referring to, players or owners? All of this monkey business screams for an investigative reporter's attention.

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I've subscribed to THN off and on for a long time .I find that whenever I stop subscribing to it I start to miss it and re-up for another two years (slightly cheaper if you go the distance).

By the time it arrives alot of the stories are ''stone cold'' already , especially their team by team reports .Obviously , thanks to the internet , we are all updated daily on whats going on in the league so THN should try and get a bit more creative in that aspect .

I enjoy studying player stats though and sometimes I get an achy back sitting at the computer doing so .

so its nice to sit back in the lazy boy and look at the stats from various leagues via THN .

If I wasnt a subscriber , I would probably buy their draft preview edition ,stats pack edition ,year in review edition and their yearly season preview magazine that comes out in August off the news stand.So right there , I'm spending close to 20 bucks , if not more .So , I may as well subscribe for 50 bucks a year and get all the issues including the ones I just mentioned .

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
You never expose your source even when it results in something like this.You may suggest he go straight to he'll the next time he offers information but you do not rat him out.You do as much harm to yourself by naming names because all your sources,be they good or bad will clam up if they know they'll be exposed when they're wrong.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
This is all part of a greater trend I've seen in sports start to develop more and more the past few years.

Reporters and rags and news outlets have gone from reporting on a story to trying to make a story to report on before it has happened.

THN got burned real, real bad.

It will happen again, despite their protestations otherwise.

Regency

May 17, 2004
Toronto
Pat Quinn was alluding to Linden and Ed Willis during an interview he had yesterday....don't know if those are the sources though.....

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I like the Hockey News. They are the only magazine like that in the world so their is nothing else to read about hockey.

I think Eklund was their source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->