The Hockey Card Thread

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I collected a lot when I was little (my parents bought sets and the like for birthday/christmas/etc.) so I have a decent amount of cards from around 89 to about 93-94. Then I got out of card collecting until this last year, and I now have the UD Series 1 and 2 from this year, along with the MVP. I don't have the full series 2 set of regular players yet, and I don't plan on getting all the rookies for either series, but I might get a few more of players I like.

I don't know how much my set is worth, but I'd venture that it's not that much. My early sets are from teh time when collecting got huge, but before companies fought back with inserts, and super-high priced RCs, so their values are next to nothing (I have like 7 extra Mike Modano RCs, a Belfour RC, a Hasek RC, and a couple of others form the early 90s. They're each worth no more than a buck or two). I'd imagine I might get $300-350 if I'm lucky and I sold the whole thing.

I don't have a true prized possession yet though. I'm pretty happy that my first box of Series 1 (which I got for christmas) had a Lundqvist and Toivonen RC in it, but I don't have a RC from my favorite players (I'd kill for a Brule or a Bernier). However, my grandmother is visiting relatives in Germany this summer, and she promised to pick up and bring home the box of DEL cards I'm buying. I'll probably really like those when I get them, just becuase almost no one else here is going to have them. Out of those I really want a Thomas Greiss card.

And I don't plan on selling my collection unless I absolutely have to.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Leaf Lander said:
btw what is ovechkins true rookei card and what does it cost
Any card from a mainstream set issued in the 05/06 season is his rookie. They range from $20 to almost $1000

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Wish I kept the stuff I collected as a kid. The most valuable one I still have is a Gretzky RC; no idea what it`s worth. Not mint, but good condition; just a little soft on the edges.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
i got guy lafleur gilbert perrault rookies and bad sitler rookie
i have a dionne rookie a roy rookie a bouruq messier anda good gretzky rookie (not mint shape)

several huls yzerman gilmour al macinnis rookeis too plus a plethora of rookiesfrom early 1990's

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
reckoning said:
Wish I kept the stuff I collected as a kid. The most valuable one I still have is a Gretzky RC; no idea what it`s worth. Not mint, but good condition; just a little soft on the edges.
At mint it's about $700. From the description of yours, probably aroud $400-$500

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
My favorite cards might be either my 21 Dave Taylor rookie cards (yes, 21; I had 22 but I gave one to my wife LOL) or the cards that I have personally had autographed. List includes.... Dave Taylor, Charlie Simmer, Marcel Dionne (yes, I have them all displayed together), Stan Mikita, Dennis Hull, Bill Clement, Luc Robitaille and a bunch of other random former Kings. But my favorite auto card is a 1981-82 OPC Marcel Dionne which I had autographed for my former mentor, who was a big MD fan. When he passed away I got the card back from his wife. It holds an honored place in my den/sports gallery.

I have nearly 2/3 of all Kings cards made before 1992 or so, I also have every Kings goalie (except two guys who never had a card, Paul Pageau and Mike Blake) and every Kings captain. I also have just about every Dave Taylor card. Yes, I'm a Kings fan, can you tell? LOL

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
My Uncle's got a Bobby Orr RC, but it's in awfull condition because he won it playing the "who can get their card thrown closest to the wall" game when he was a kid.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
If you're really interested in finding out what your cards are worth, don't just go by word of mouth, do yourself a favor and get yourself an issue of Beckett Hockey Monthly, or check it out on their website www.beckett.com and find the hockey section.

All cards of every player have a different worth, so if you have a Gretzky rookie, you need to know what company made the card, and what condition it's in. Just like a card from a pack of MVP is worth less than the same player's card in a pack of SP Authentic, a Gretzky from a less desirable set is worth less. Also, graded cards are worth dramatically more if they in great condition.

I have thousands of cards, including about 700 red wings. I don't have many rookie cards, but I like insert cards which are harder to find in packs. I've got over 100 Gretzky's, over 50 Yzerman, and like 30 of Lemieux, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood and other players I like or once liked.

I haven't bought any cards in years, but lots of them go up in value every year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I got my DEL cards today, and I have a new prized piece. Well, I don't have the card yet, but I am hopefully going to be the proud owner of a Team Germany game-worn Marco Sturm jersey card, numbered 36 out of 200. I have the redemption card, I just need to contact the card company (in Germany) and hope that they'll accept me redeeming the card from here in Canada.

Zetterberg4Captain*

I have 4 binders full and when I go to Edmonton next week I'll have ALOT more. Most of my cards are Wings cards and the players I collect most are Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg. My most prized card would have to be my All-Star game starting line-up card signed by Lidstrom! Sadly I have no YZerman rookie card but I am looking. I probably have around 65-75 different Yzerman cards.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I collected for about 3 years durring about 92-95. I recently went back actually and was surprised at some of my cards. I discovered I had Forsberg's rookie! You used to be able to write to the players and mail a copy of their card (if you have doubles of course), and 9 times out of 10 you'll get it back signed. Lindros in the early 90's mailed mine back overnight so I'd get it right away...makes it hard for me to rag on the guy. Only player I can really remember never getting anything back from was Pierre Turgeon. I've gotten P. Bure, Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Yzerman and a bunch more this way. Like I said not sure if it works anymore, just kind of make up a story. Say how they're you're favorire player been following them forever are like 8 or 9 years old (hey I was at the time! lol), and you just may get some nice surprises in the mail. Including some extra autographs like promo pictures or really nice pictures along with your card.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I had some great cards when I was a kid. The entire 57-58 set plus many cards even earlier (back to 1951). Thanks to a brother 6 years older than I was. Also many many old hockey news & magazines. Alas, my mother threw them out. I came home one weekend & they were gone. I have recollected what I can afford thru Ebay.

The best card year ever is topps 54-55. Great action pictures & high gloss. The Larry Wilson one which I have is spectacular.

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
i collect cards of my fav players. some of my prized cards are

OV auto RC card, i got when the Caps played in Buffalo last season

2 Kovalchuk auto cards

Mogliny auto RC, world juniors auto card also.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I collected for about 3 years durring about 92-95. I recently went back actually and was surprised at some of my cards. I discovered I had Forsberg's rookie! You used to be able to write to the players and mail a copy of their card (if you have doubles of course), and 9 times out of 10 you'll get it back signed. Lindros in the early 90's mailed mine back overnight so I'd get it right away...makes it hard for me to rag on the guy. Only player I can really remember never getting anything back from was Pierre Turgeon. I've gotten P. Bure, Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Yzerman and a bunch more this way. Like I said not sure if it works anymore, just kind of make up a story. Say how they're you're favorire player been following them forever are like 8 or 9 years old (hey I was at the time! lol), and you just may get some nice surprises in the mail. Including some extra autographs like promo pictures or really nice pictures along with your card.

I think a lot of teams still do that. The only one I know that doesn't for certain is Minnesota. The Wild's website has a disclaimer with their writing address that says they won't accept items to be signed.

I have a couple of pages in the back of one of my binders that has cards I want to see if I can get signed. Once the season starts up again, I'm going to take a crack at it with a couple of my favorite players (Milan Michalek & Sturm)

I already have a signed Michalek RC, but I just got that through eBay, and the signature isn't all that great (it looks rubbed off in a couple of spots, and was signed with a thick blue marker)

RedLightDistrict

Jan 21, 2005
I have the entire 1992 Stadium Club set. In addition, I also have an old-mint Eddie Giacomin, Gump Worsley, as well as a Lindros and Thornton rookie card. I also have a game-worn Sergei Zholtok card, which I've always had a fondness for, as well as a personally autographed Messier card that my friend got for me at a banquet for Mess. I've always wondered what the set would sell for... can anyone help me?

AlexeiKovalev27

Jun 16, 2006
Montreal
www.thuymidodesigns.com
Only have around 3000 cards. I especially for some specific players like Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Fedorov and all.
Have a couple of rookies of players like Kovalev, Fedorov, Lidstrom and else. I stoled my cousins old cards :P. But I'm just 16 I don't have enough money to buy myself boxes :P (oh god the cup collection of UD is SO EXPENSIVE)

I think my favorite card is me Alex Kovalev National Heroes I just bought in Ebay...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
If you're really interested in finding out what your cards are worth, don't just go by word of mouth, do yourself a favor and get yourself an issue of Beckett Hockey Monthly, or check it out on their website www.beckett.com and find the hockey section.

All cards of every player have a different worth, so if you have a Gretzky rookie, you need to know what company made the card, and what condition it's in. Just like a card from a pack of MVP is worth less than the same player's card in a pack of SP Authentic, a Gretzky from a less desirable set is worth less. Also, graded cards are worth dramatically more if they in great condition.

I have thousands of cards, including about 700 red wings. I don't have many rookie cards, but I like insert cards which are harder to find in packs. I've got over 100 Gretzky's, over 50 Yzerman, and like 30 of Lemieux, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood and other players I like or once liked.

I haven't bought any cards in years, but lots of them go up in value every year.
honestly, to get true card value ebay is much better than beckett..

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Brian Leetch signed card of some kind, used too love card collecting but that was more then 10 years ago :)

hckyfan0099

Jul 4, 2006
BUFU

Probably about $200 to $300. That is one of the most valuable cards ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->