Player Discussion The Henrik & Daniel Sedin Discussion - Part IV | Encore for 2019?

CorySchneids

May 3, 2015
Do you guys think there is chance they may ask for a trade soon or the Team will ask them to waive their NTC. Tsn was speculating about it during their trade deadline segment.

Also hopefully they shut Hank down for the season now.

Totally random, but reading some comment section on places like the Province and the Canucks YouTube channel and just talking to people I'm actually concerned over how some the casuals genuinely hate the Sedins or out of the loop with them.

Like there are some people who I have talked that have said they'd rather watch Dorsett play and fight then them :amazed:. There was also this one guy who claimed he was the biggest Canuck fan who said that watching the Sedins was boring and they were currently the least entertaining player on our team :amazed: :shakehead

I think they're way above all the nonsense that happens on the outside. From my perspective they're low key, incredibly humble, therefore have the ability to continue onward to succeed whatever goals they have. They showed with the Seguin and Benn incident they just don't care what people say.

With this I truly believe they intend on retiring Canucks, regardless of the regime. They respect Trevor and have love for this franchise so hopefully they'll stick around and continue to be leaders.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I don't normally make a post like this, but with the news that Datsyuk is retiring early and leaving for Russia it's making me think about the Sedins. Lately they've been a little...blunt in interviews. They don't sound too happy with this team, and if they have another bottom 10 finish next year could it be possible that they hightail it out of here? They have two years left on their contracts, and I don't think they're too concerned about money at this point in their careers. I'm sure they'd like to win a cup, but this team is far from being a contender any time soon.

And then there's the problem with trading them (if they'd be open to it). Even with 50% retained on both of them, it's $7M in salary we're eating (not including the salary dumps we'd also get in return) and I doubt teams would give up the farm for two guys who will likely retire in the near future.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't normally make a post like this, but with the news that Datsyuk is retiring early and leaving for Russia it's making me think about the Sedins. Lately they've been a little...blunt in interviews. They don't sound too happy with this team, and if they have another bottom 10 finish next year could it be possible that they hightail it out of here? They have two years left on their contracts, and I don't think they're too concerned about money at this point in their careers. I'm sure they'd like to win a cup, but this team is far from being a contender any time soon.

And then there's the problem with trading them (if they'd be open to it). Even with 50% retained on both of them, it's $7M in salary we're eating (not including the salary dumps we'd also get in return) and I doubt teams would give up the farm for two guys who will likely retire in the near future.

The thought occurred to me to (re: the Twins retiring). I think another season like this would definitely have them considering it, to be honest. They'll be 36 next season.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm perfectly ok with the twins retiring in two seasons. With 15 million in cap space, the Canucks can use that money to shore up areas that need shoring at that time.

Over the next two years, guys like Horvat, Virtanen, etc., can continue to learn from the twins and really pick their brains (i.e. off-ice habits, on-ice advice, etc., etc.). I still argue that this is one huge advantage we have over teams like Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto (i.e. veteran mentors were elite players in recent times in the new NHL).

Having said all that, the Canucks absolutely need to find a Henrik replacement before the twins fade into the sunset. I know I've said over a million times these past few days, but you have to do whatever you can do either draft Matthews or sign Stamkos.

With the Canucks having as much cap space as they do, while drafting as high as they are (i.e. perhaps leveraging their own pick to move up slightly here), I don't think either option is completely unrealistic.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
The Sedins will never quit on this team. They will retire as Canucks and I'm happier for it. There is NO reason to trade them whatsoever. Obviously we can still tank hard enough and rebuilding teams NEED mentors of their ilk. This isn't NHL 16 where you can dress 18 teenagers and still win.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
In the provies last night henrik said " they're all in on the rebuild"

True, but a rebuild also implies a progression of sorts. While they could have been worse this year, there wasn't a huge gap between this team and the proverbial "rock bottom". If the team continues to dwell in the cellar with no real sign of progress next year (or the year after that, pulling an Edmonton, as it were) maybe they consider retirement. Who knows.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Sedins will never quit on this team. They will retire as Canucks and I'm happier for it. There is NO reason to trade them whatsoever. Obviously we can still tank hard enough and rebuilding teams NEED mentors of their ilk. This isn't NHL 16 where you can dress 18 teenagers and still win.

This point raises the question, will the team quit on them? The team on the ice has quit three seasons in a row. The team running the franchise had to be changed when they wanted to rebuild (ie. move Sedins). Only one hockey genius cannot see the problem, sadly (or hilariously to everybody else in hockey) he owns the team.

Sedins are coach killers. When they don't like the coaching it is changed to accommodate them. They are princes of the realm (is that poetic enough?). How endearing is this to the hockey community? What do other players think?

The Sedins are misunderstood by English speaking Canada. Let me tell a story. I am a big guy. I was raised by finance company "collectors" who started me in boxing when I was five. I can tell you for certain Canadians do not respect you if you do not fight. I have been confronted and forced into defense by men literally half my weight. This is a socially awkward situation and has to be handled with delicacy. First, why would a hopelessly outmatched person seek to become an opponent? It's respect. They need to know I respect them as people despite the fact that they are short or skinny or whatever. This is important enough to risk serious injury, for them. People with this thinking view the Marchand incident and think it is telling. Some are/were team mates.

Sedins are no longer effective as top line players. They need specific support and deployment. They are not getting that here. Since they are smart hockey men, they know this. Thier conduct this season leads me to believe they are done here.

Sweden must surely beckon. Beloved MODO and their brief season must seem attractive. Aged out Swedes have MODOed before. It's a pragmatic solution. Otherwise there are attractive options in the NHL where they might play for a ring. Of course they could spend two more disastrous years in Vancouver.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'll be fine with pretty much anything the Sedins choose to do. They can go to Sweden, retire as Canucks or request trades; I have no problem with any of it. They've been nothing but class acts on and off the ice here, they've earned the ability to choose what they want to do for the remainder of their careers. But holy ****, I'll probably cry when these guys retire. These guys are basically affiliated with the Canucks forever in my eyes. I haven't even been alive to see a Canucks team without the twins. If they were traded to a place like Nashville, they'd instantly become my bandwagon team until they retire.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I give the Sedins credit that Naslund never deserved: at least they actually want to be here and have never used the threat of going back to Sweden against this team. Classy guys who seemingly have the interests of the team as a priority.

Their play has definitely slipped. They're no longer top level 1st liners in the regular season. They're 60 point players now, who really struggled in the second half of the season. This is where we need someone from the young group to pick up some slack. Horvat did that in the back half, but he obviously can't do that all himself.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
I think the Sedins leadership is and has been overrated on this board. This team showed absolutely no heart after the TDL. While a team like the Leafs who supposedly have no leadership continued to play hard game in and game out. All while getting great production out of their young guys.

If we can trade the Sedins (Obv retained) for a good package (1st and top prospect) then you have to do it.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
This point raises the question, will the team quit on them? The team on the ice has quit three seasons in a row. The team running the franchise had to be changed when they wanted to rebuild (ie. move Sedins). Only one hockey genius cannot see the problem, sadly (or hilariously to everybody else in hockey) he owns the team.

Sedins are coach killers. When they don't like the coaching it is changed to accommodate them. They are princes of the realm (is that poetic enough?). How endearing is this to the hockey community? What do other players think?

The Sedins are misunderstood by English speaking Canada. Let me tell a story. I am a big guy. I was raised by finance company "collectors" who started me in boxing when I was five. I can tell you for certain Canadians do not respect you if you do not fight. I have been confronted and forced into defense by men literally half my weight. This is a socially awkward situation and has to be handled with delicacy. First, why would a hopelessly outmatched person seek to become an opponent? It's respect. They need to know I respect them as people despite the fact that they are short or skinny or whatever. This is important enough to risk serious injury, for them. People with this thinking view the Marchand incident and think it is telling. Some are/were team mates.

Sedins are no longer effective as top line players. They need specific support and deployment. They are not getting that here. Since they are smart hockey men, they know this. Thier conduct this season leads me to believe they are done here.

Sweden must surely beckon. Beloved MODO and their brief season must seem attractive. Aged out Swedes have MODOed before. It's a pragmatic solution. Otherwise there are attractive options in the NHL where they might play for a ring. Of course they could spend two more disastrous years in Vancouver.

I appreciate the insight into the Canadian culture - and I'm not going to comment on anything as I've never been to Canada - but Modo just got relegated to the 2nd professional league in Sweden and are starting their own rebuild and I very much doubt that intrigues the Sedins.

If management comes to them with a done deal for both of them at the deadline in 18 months then they might leave for the sake of the Canucks - but how many legit contenders have that amount of cap space and that need of not one, but two pieces?

My money remains firmly on career-Canucks.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think the Sedins leadership is and has been overrated on this board. This team showed absolutely no heart after the TDL. While a team like the Leafs who supposedly have no leadership continued to play hard game in and game out. All while getting great production out of their young guys.

If we can trade the Sedins (Obv retained) for a good package (1st and top prospect) then you have to do it.

This is also true.

Yes they're classy guys, but are they the type of guys who can still carry a team and motivate their teammates? No.

A 1st and an A prospect (like Drouin) would be nice. Otherwise I'd be looking at multiple 1sts, a prospect, and a top 6 NHLer.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

The bigger problem is merit doesn't mean jack anymore under WD/Benning.

I mean just look at the ice time allocated to Vey, Dorsett, Sbisa, Bart, Sutter, Etem, Granlund. Hell even look at Virtanen and McCann who both shouldn't even be in the NHL yet. When you have such a large % of the player that gets played regardless of how **** they are, why would other players want to work hard to compete for a spot that is already reserved for someone else.
How can the other guys be convinced to work hard when they know that it almost doesn't matter.

The idiots in management has really poisoned the team culture, it's too obvious except to those delusional Benning supporters.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
In the provies last night henrik said " they're all in on the rebuild"

That comment was very confusing, all in on rebuild but against a losing year.

Henrik was emotionally gutted.

“It’s been unbelievably hard.

“The last 15-20 games. We weren’t as deep as we needed to be.

“Emotionally, it was tough to be there. You prepare. You do everything you can to try and follow the system, and be within the structure.

“But if you’re not emotionally 100% there, it’s tough to get something going. It’s been a battle.â€

Henrik was asked about next year. What if the same thing happens?

“I’m all in (on a rebuild). On that, there is no question.

“But I don’t think we’re OK with that. We weren’t OK with it this year.

“It’s not going to be any different next year if it’s the same. But I’m fully confident it won’t be.

“That’s why we’re all in.â€

Sounds more like he is all in on retooling, not rebuilding, the team with UFAs. He doesn't want another tank year, just wanted Benning to the junk he brought in and get some real players and improved depth.

I guessing that means Burrows buyout for the cap savings, Higgins to, out with failed experiments in with proven guys.

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I appreciate the insight into the Canadian culture - and I'm not going to comment on anything as I've never been to Canada - but Modo just got relegated to the 2nd professional league in Sweden and are starting their own rebuild and I very much doubt that intrigues the Sedins.
Please don't take that anecdote as in any way representative of "Canadian culture". The usual stereotype (that Canadians are a bunch of over-polite bores) is also annoying, but closer to the truth than the idea of people wandering around picking fights to gain respect.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

Trade the Sedins, 50% retained on each, for Datsyuk's $7.5m and whatever draft picks you can pry loose

Trollin' Draft Picks for Nolan Patrick :sarcasm:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The whole 'trade Sedins for 1st round picks' is such a naive proposal. The first rounder(s) you'll be getting are nowhere near what most people are expecting to fully turn this franchise around. They'll be Jensen, Etem, Howden type players. Because any team trading for them is going to compete and will be drafting in the 25-30 range. And the chances of the 25-30 range players doing anything significant to the rebuild are slim.

Look at our top 6 roster in a hypothetical situation without the Sedins:

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
McCann - Sutter - Rodin

Gross.

I don't think anyone in that group is going to hit 50 points without the Sedins carrying 1/3 of the load. Horvat up against Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf every night? Baertschi against Gaudreau, Perry, Kane?

You can't build a team with a bunch of teenagers and young players expecting a linear progression every year. You need veterans. And the Sedins are great at mentoring.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
The whole 'trade Sedins for 1st round picks' is such a naive proposal. The first rounder(s) you'll be getting are nowhere near what most people are expecting to fully turn this franchise around. They'll be Jensen, Etem, Howden type players. Because any team trading for them is going to compete and will be drafting in the 25-30 range. And the chances of the 25-30 range players doing anything significant to the rebuild are slim.

That's where you get your role players, your Namestnikovs and Jenners and Coyles and Nelsons.

Trading the Sedins for draft picks adds selections to your stable, but more importantly it massively increases the value of your own future draft picks.

Don't you get it? Losing = winning

:sarcasm: (do I still need this)

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Please don't take that anecdote as in any way representative of "Canadian culture". The usual stereotype (that Canadians are a bunch of over-polite bores) is also annoying, but closer to the truth than the idea of people wandering around picking fights to gain respect.

I didn't. There are always more than one side to the story and all cultures are manifold. Just didn't have the energy to argue ;)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That's where you get your role players, your Namestnikovs and Jenners and Coyles and Nelsons.

Trading the Sedins for draft picks adds selections to your stable, but more importantly it massively increases the value of your own future draft picks.

Don't you get it? Losing = winning

:sarcasm: (do I still need this)

So when is Edmonton going to finally win?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad