Player Discussion The Henrik & Daniel Sedin Discussion - Part IV | Encore for 2019?

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Forgot to post earlier but the Sedins were interviewed for a swedish broadcast for the NYI-game and they said they'd happily keep playing (remain Canucks after their current contracts expire?) if they're healthy.

Edit: provided the source as well, but it is in Swedish so you'll probably have to trust me on this one ;)
http://www.viasatsport.se/videoklipp/hockey/reportage-viasat-hockey-moter-broderna-sedin/

Edit 2: I decided to put up some bullet points for you guys
- They talk highly of how Canucks work in the community, stretching as far as to say that it helps fuel the team during lower tides (losing streak).
- They talk about how hard it is when they visit very ill children, puts hockey into perspective
- They talk about how age is more of a mental thing these days, it's tougher to get up in the morning after a game but if you only prepare well in the summer and believe that you can play: you can.
- Acknowledges that the current roster isn't as deep as previous "editions" but they're in a division that makes it possible to get in (Nice little shot there, lol)
- They will play for at least 2 years more and as long as they're healthy they will play

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Forgot to post earlier but the Sedins were interviewed for a swedish broadcast for the NYI-game and they said they'd happily keep playing (remain Canucks after their current contracts expire?) if they're healthy.

Edit: provided the source as well, but it is in Swedish so you'll probably have to trust me on this one ;)
http://www.viasatsport.se/videoklipp/hockey/reportage-viasat-hockey-moter-broderna-sedin/

- They talk highly of how Canucks work in the community, stretching as far as to say that it helps fuel the team during lower tides (losing streak).
- They talk about how hard it is when they visit very ill children, puts hockey into perspective
- They talk about how age is more of a mental thing these days, it's tougher to get up in the morning after a game but if you only prepare well in the summer and believe that you can play: you can.
- Acknowledges that the current roster isn't as deep as previous "editions" but they're in a division that makes it possible to get in (Nice little shot there, lol)
- They will play for at least 2 years more and as long as they're healthy they will play

I would be more than happy to see them, as a duo, play the Igor Larionov-esque wizened-skill-veteran role with our future Cup-contending core :naughty: McCann can play Slava Kozlov and Hutton can play Slava Fetisov.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I would be more than happy to see them, as a duo, play the Igor Larionov-esque wizened-skill-veteran role with our future Cup-contending core :naughty: McCann can play Slava Kozlov and Hutton can play Slava Fetisov.

what a team. we would have two darren mccartys...

watch out, claude lemieux. so many hugs.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Great stuff. Two more years from the Sedins will really help the transition to the new core. Check out the Baertschi quote in the latest Provies:

"[Daniel Sedin] is unbelievable for a young guy like me,†Baertschi said. “He’s who you want to learn from. I watch him every day. It’s pretty much what I spend my days doing.

“At practice, I watch them. They are the best at practice. I see how hard they work. I see how they nail every fitness test."

Horvat, McCann, Baertschi, Virtanen, etc. will be better players because they got to play with the Sedins.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Great stuff. Two more years from the Sedins will really help the transition to the new core. Check out the Baertschi quote in the latest Provies:

Horvat, McCann, Baertschi, Virtanen, etc. will be better players because they got to play with the Sedins.

Sedins are the best mentors for all the young prospects coming up. They play the game with integrity and they do a lot for the community. They always have classy interviews and won't put people under the bus. Can't ask for more.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Jan 14th, 2016.

1. Kane - 63
2. Benn - 53
3. Seguin - 51
4. Karlsson - 45
5. Tarasenko - 44
6. Pavelski - 43
7. Gaudreau - 43
8. Wheeler - 41
9. Wheeler - 41
10. Hall - 41
-
12. D. Sedin - 40
-
24. H. Sedin - 36

All-time Points list:

90. Larry Robinson 958
91. Rick Tecchet - 952
92. Henrik Sedin - 951
93. Chris Chelios - 948
94. Jason Arnott - 938
95. Alex Ovechkin - 934
96. Vincent Lecavalier - 933

97. Steve Thomas - 933
98. Neal Broten - 923
99. Daniel Sedin - 921
100. Shane Doan - 919

What else...

Henrik is only 7 games behind Trevor for all-time Games Played in Canucks history, Daniel is 36 behind. (Burrows 41 behind Ohlund for 7th)

Daniel is only 2 goals behind Markus for all-time Goals in Canucks history, DANIEL SEDIN HAS TIED MARKUS NASLUND FOR MOST GOALS IN CANUCKS HISTORY. Henrik is only 30 behind Tony Tanti for 6th (and Burrows only 2 behind Kesler for 11th
Jan 22nd, 2016.

1. Kane - 72
2. Benn - 57
3. Seguin - 53
4. Karlsson - 49
5. Kuznetsov - 48
6. Hall - 47
7. Tarasenko - 46
8. Gaudreau - 46
9. Panarin - 45
10. Wheeler - 44
-
14. D. Sedin - 43 :)
-
33. H. Sedin - 37 :(

All-time Points list:

90. Larry Robinson 958
91. Henrik Sedin - 952
92. Rick Tecchet - 952
93. Chris Chelios - 948
94. Jason Arnott - 938
95. Alex Ovechkin - 937
96. Vincent Lecavalier - 936

97. Steve Thomas - 933
98. Daniel Sedin - 924
99. Neal Broten - 923
100. Shane Doan - 923

What else...

Henrik is only 4 games behind Trevor for all-time Games Played in Canucks history, Daniel is 31 behind. (Burrows 36 behind Ohlund for 7th)

Daniel is only 2 goals behind Markus for all-time Goals in Canucks history, DANIEL SEDIN HAS PASSED MARKUS NASLUND FOR MOST GOALS IN CANUCKS HISTORY. Henrik is only 30 behind Tony Tanti for 6th (and Burrows has tied Kesler for 11th).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...a+mentors+sedins+peerless/11687506/story.html

Now it’s as much as how Daniel and Henrik Sedin treat everybody in the room, and the manner in which Daniel has helped McCann transition to the NHL and be a first-line replacement for the injury Henrik.

“I don’t think there’s any better person to learn from,†McCann said of the long-serving left winger.

“Everything he does on and off the ice, he does it so well. He’s a leader and it’s hard to explain, but he’s probably one of the best role models you could ask for a player coming in here. He works so hard every day and as a young guy, you look up to him for advice. I can’t say enough good things about him.â€

- Aw man, there goes my theory that Pauser is actually Jared McCann. :sarcasm:
- Thought you needed to fight in order to be a leader? How else will the kids learn about hard work?!?
- ****ing Sedins creating a clubhouse environment.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks that trading the Sedins to tank would make no difference in the long run:

“Daniel and Henrik put their teammates before themselves,†said Virtanen. “They talk to you. If you’re a young guy, most are pretty nervous coming into the NHL and most aren’t sure what to expect. These guys just make you feel part of the team and you don’t really don’t get that on some teams.

“A lot of my buddies are playing in the NHL right now as 19-year-olds and they’re kind of on their own. We don’t have that in this room. Daniel definitely makes this happen for us.â€

Finally, I found this extremely interesting:

McCann also knows the evolution of the equipment hasn’t hurt the newbies. The Sedins switched sticks last season to more advanced composite models for better releases, something the kids did long ago. Young players grew up with superior stick technology and their shots are hard and accurate when they get to the NHL. It used to be that the common trait was rookies all had bad shots. Not now.

Wonder if that coincides with when Daniel "regained" his shot?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...a+mentors+sedins+peerless/11687506/story.html

- Thought you needed to fight in order to be a leader? How else will the kids learn about hard work?!?

Oh, and for anyone who thinks that trading the Sedins to tank would make no difference in the long run:

How can they be leaders? They suck in scrums. :sarcasm:

Now that the Sedins have taken over our offensive record books can we now unretire Naslund's jersey? ;)

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

Thanks for sharing. The last bit about the sticks is particularly interesting considering Daniel's improved shot when compared to the last few years.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
A lot of my buddies are playing in the NHL right now as 19-year-olds and they’re kind of on their own. We don’t have that in this room.

What is he talking about? Substandard leadership coming from other teams' captains? Lack of outreach from leaders to young players? I find that to be a rather blunt and insightful comment.

When I think of who Jake's "buddies" around the league might be, I think of similarly-aged players who came out of the Dub (he did say "19-year-olds"), of which there's only a handful:

• Draisaitl, EDM
  • Reinhart, BUF ---> Eichel, who is the same age but didn't come from the CHL
  • Lazar, OTT
  • Theodore, ANA

Other similarly-aged CHL players:

• McDavid, EDM
  • Nurse, EDM
  • Bennett, CGY
  • Ehlers, WPG
  • MacKinnon, CO
  • Zadorov, CO
  • Fabbri, STL
  • Domi, AZ
  • Duclair, AZ
  • Burakovsky, WSH
  • Ekblad, FL ---> Barkov, who is the same age but didn't come from the CHL
  • Drouin, TBL

------------

You know what? This is an awful lot of detective work to say that Edmonton's leadership situation sucks. :laugh: Though it could have been Sam Reinhart remarking on the Sabres and their rebuilding efforts, having to live in the shadow of Jack Eichel, etcetera

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What is he talking about? Substandard leadership coming from other teams' captains? Lack of outreach from leaders to young players? I find that to be a rather blunt and insightful comment.

When I think of who Jake's "buddies" around the league might be, I think of similarly-aged players who came out of the Dub (he did say "19-year-olds"), of which there's only a handful:

• Draisaitl, EDM
  • Reinhart, BUF ---> Eichel, who is the same age but didn't come from the CHL
  • Lazar, OTT
  • Theodore, ANA

Other similarly-aged CHL players:

• McDavid, EDM
  • Nurse, EDM
  • Bennett, CGY
  • Ehlers, WPG
  • MacKinnon, CO
  • Zadorov, CO
  • Fabbri, STL
  • Domi, AZ
  • Duclair, AZ
  • Burakovsky, WSH
  • Ekblad, FL ---> Barkov, who is the same age but didn't come from the CHL
  • Drouin, TBL

------------

You know what? This is an awful lot of detective work to say that Edmonton's leadership situation sucks. :laugh: Though it could have been Sam Reinhart remarking on the Sabres and their rebuilding efforts, having to live in the shadow of Jack Eichel, etcetera

Or maybe Jake has no idea on what he is talking about there?

The actual amount of players he directly played with in junior that are in the NHL is rather small.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Or maybe Jake has no idea on what he is talking about there?

The actual amount of players he directly played with in junior that are in the NHL is rather small.

What?
You doubting he has hockey friends that he talks hockey with?
Haha... I know the concept of friends and talking to people is foreign to some unfortunate souls but come on..

I.e. It would be abnormal if he didn't.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What?
You doubting he has hockey friends that he talks hockey with?
Haha... I know the concept of friends and talking to people is foreign to some unfortunate souls but come on..

I.e. It would be abnormal if he didn't.

Here is the direct quote once again

A lot of my buddies are playing in the NHL right now as 19-year-olds and they’re kind of on their own. We don’t have that in this room.

NHL teams do a really good job with their young guys coming in and the players then listed as possibles (how close are they to be called buddies is also questionable, to a 19 year old a buddy can be a guy he shared a beer or coke with once right?

It's more than likely that Jake is impressed with the leadership on this team more than he has actual working knowledge of other locker rooms in the NHL.

Furthermore do you really think that McDavid and Nurse are left on their own when they are so important to the Oilers?

Like it would be "Connor , go hang out at the mall after practice with Nurse, you are on your own buddy"...

I mean think about what Jake is quoted as saying and how plausible it really is.

Or how much contact he had with those 19 year olds listed, he might have been talking about minor prospects from his minor hockey days at training camp for instance not the guys listed.

I mean only 4 of the guys listed even played in the same league as he did and on different teams.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How plausible?
Playing hockey for 15 yrs as the alpha male of basically every team he's been on?

I'm betting his circle of friends at his age group is pretty extensive.

Way more plausible to take him at his word that he talked to friends around he league vs figuring that he lied and made up the whole thing. Jeez.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
ut,
How plausible?
Playing hockey for 15 yrs as the alpha male of basically every team he's been on?

I'm betting his circle of friends at his age group is pretty extensive.

Way more plausible to take him at his word that he talked to friends around he league vs figuring that he lied and made up the whole thing. Jeez.

You really need to read stuff, nowhere did I even suggest that Jake lied about anything.

But I'll move on as leadership isn't quantifiable at all.

I'm sure it's a good room, just like most of them in the NHL.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
ut,

You really need to read stuff, nowhere did I even suggest that Jake lied about anything.

But I'll move on as leadership isn't quantifiable at all.

I'm sure it's a good room, just like most of them in the NHL.

Most of the elite players in any given national age group, internationally as well these days, end up getting to know each other quite well by the time they're junior-aged. They've been going to the same tournaments, agent-run events, conditioning camps, etc. for probably ten years by now. Not to mention that social media exists.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Jake has also been a part of Hockey Canada forever, including two World Juniors.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/roster-announced-for-2014-u18-worlds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships_rosters#.C2.A0Canada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships_rosters#.C2.A0Canada

Not exactly a stretch that a couple 18/19/20 year old kids from that group have ran into each other and casually mentioned that it's been a grind living fully on their own for the first time or whatever. Nor is it really worth it at all to try and discredit the role the Sedins have played in making the transition to life in the NHL easier. Relative to a young team like Edmonton where your leaders in the room are Andrew Ference and Taylor Hall, I'm sure Jake is right.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Do you guys think there is chance they may ask for a trade soon or the Team will ask them to waive their NTC. Tsn was speculating about it during their trade deadline segment.

Also hopefully they shut Hank down for the season now.

Totally random, but reading some comment section on places like the Province and the Canucks YouTube channel and just talking to people I'm actually concerned over how some the casuals genuinely hate the Sedins or out of the loop with them.

Like there are some people who I have talked that have said they'd rather watch Dorsett play and fight then them :amazed:. There was also this one guy who claimed he was the biggest Canuck fan who said that watching the Sedins was boring and they were currently the least entertaining player on our team :amazed: :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->