The Habs are going to get a good forward who is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
turnbuckle said:
I'm really getting tired of the "Don't pick Ryan because he has the same last name as a former flop" crap I keep seing over and over. I heard the same twisted logic about Chris Higgins (Matt Higgins) - that one seemed to turn out okay.

Perhaps Pittsburgh shouldn't pick Crosby because they're afraid he'll end up going balloon up to 300 pounds and fry his liver/brain like David Crosby.

Bobby Ryan's last name is actually Stevenson, so he's been double whammied. "Oh no, don't take him because he might turn out like Turner Stevenson." Sigh.

:biglaugh:

CH Wizard

Turnbuckle is right, I"m tired of seeing habs fans getting scared because of Ryan's skating.After having seen him play 5 times, I don't find his skating a liability nor do the scouts.Ryan has too an interesting skill set, it'd be a mistake to say that ''I don't want him, he's slow''.It's not like Anze Kopitar is fast, he's slow footed! We saw that in the wc's.Power forwards are slow because of their big frame.Kopitar isn't fast by any mean! Ryan has sick scoring abilities and habs fans have always looked for goalscorer for so long time now.Don't forget that scouts were saying that Nash was slow when he was with Brampton.......

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Marc-E- said:
Forget it! Johnson will be pick before; he will go with Carolina. Here's my prognosic:

Pittsburgh: Crosby
Anaheim: Brule, because Brian Burke saw him play a lot of time when he was GM with the Canucks
Carolina: Johnson: They need a D-man
Minnessota: Kopitar need a Center for Gaborik. P-.M. Bouchard & Mikko Koivu aren't the kind of center for Gaborik
Montreal: Pouliot or Ryan: Will go with the scoring assets of those two

Minnesota has O'Sullivan, Koivu, Wallin and Courchaine amond their 10 best, doubtful I'd say...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Is Ryan slow or is his skating style just akward ? Because there's a huge difference here.

How is his acceleration ?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
E = CH² said:
Is Ryan slow or is his skating style just akward ? Because there's a huge difference here.

How is his acceleration ?

Ryan is not fast by any stretch. However, he possesses the ability to slow down the play to the point where having high end speed isn't that much of a liability. He also has a good first step which helps. Very Jason Allison like.

larue*

The scouts have to find some kinda of flaw with all prospects. So if skating is all they can find for a fault on Ryan. Im in. Habs take Ryan at 5th overall :yo:

Rich09

Oct 22, 2004
Why does people like that much Benoit Pouliot? He's tall, but he doesn't know it. He's fast and have good hands, but where was he before this year!?? That's afraid me a alot. Habs already have some talented wingers like Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, and Grabovsky. They need 1st a good physical and offensive Dman like Jack Johnson. 2nd, a power foward like Bobby Ryan. Third, a big center with natural talent ala Sundin like Anze Kopitar. Finaly, a goalie, but its to high for picking Price.

Don't talk about Bourret, latendresse, Staal, Price or Bourdon with a 5th pick please! The top six is to great!

Brule is a hard hitting center with talent, but his size let me think that he doesn't have the potential to be a allstar like Ryan, Kopitar and Johnson.

Next Best Thing*

turnbuckle said:
I'm really getting tired of the "Don't pick Ryan because he has the same last name as a former flop" crap I keep seing over and over. I heard the same twisted logic about Chris Higgins (Matt Higgins) - that one seemed to turn out okay.

Perhaps Pittsburgh shouldn't pick Crosby because they're afraid he'll end up going balloon up to 300 pounds and fry his liver/brain like David Crosby.

Bobby Ryan's last name is actually Stevenson, so he's been double whammied. "Oh no, don't take him because he might turn out like Turner Stevenson." Sigh.

Hey I actually LIKE Turner Stevenson... kinda like a poor man's Begin.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Great One said:
Kopitar is slow footed.

I find that Kopitar's problem is his game won't transalate to well in NA. He is big but doesn't use his size. He relies solely on his skill. He doesn't forecheck or hit or grind or go in the corners. He is laid back.

While Brule is small but plays like a big player... Kopitar is big but plays as if he was a small player who has to avoid the rough stuff.

I do not want Kopitar at no5.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The Macho Man said:
I find that Kopitar's problem is his game won't transalate to well in NA. He is big but doesn't use his size. He relies solely on his skill. He doesn't forecheck or hit or grind or go in the corners. He is laid back.

Like Sundin? :sarcasm:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
The Macho Man said:

While Brule is small but plays like a big player... Kopitar is big but plays as if he was a small player who has to avoid the rough stuff.

I do not want Kopitar at no5.

I'd think Kopitar is the most NHL ready out of the bunch that has been mentioned. He has played great in sweden, among men, and he was really good in the world championships, against men, not boys. I was impressed by him.

turnbuckle*

Next Best Thing said:
Hey I actually LIKE Turner Stevenson... kinda like a poor man's Begin.

The quotes were meant to represent what this board's "Name Karma Police" would likely say if they knew his last name was actually Stevenson. Would it make you feel better if I said Jeremy Stevenson instead?

I like Turner too, but if the Habs 5th overall pick doesn't possess better offensive skills than Turner, ther'll be more than one or two Hab fans that will be pissed.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Savard/Timmins know their job, and I expect a load of trades during this draft... who knows what will happen? They may decide to trade down do get two picks in the top 40 instead of only one....

turnbuckle*

psycho_dad said:
I'd think Kopitar is the most NHL ready out of the bunch that has been mentioned. He has played great in sweden, among men, and he was really good in the world championships, against men, not boys. I was impressed by him.

Kopitar played mostly in the Swedish junior league last year. In 15 games in the "Men's league", Kopitar managed 0 goals, 0 assists. Not what I'd call playing great against men.

As for his play in the Worlds, he scored one goal in 6 games, not exactly earth shattering. I saw him play against the Americans and he showed flashes of good skill, but he was hardly dominant. His backcheck on Weight where he thwarted a good scoring chance was the highlight of his game, and Pierre McGuire proceeded to mention it about a dozen more times during the tournament just to remind us.

I liked his size and speed, but I haven't seen enough of him to say one way or another whether I think he'll be as good or better than Ryan. Hopefully the Habs thorughly scouted him and are less in doubt one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad