The Habs are going to get a good forward who is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
dolfanar said:
I have to go with brule as well, but I don't know why but I keep fearing we might have Pavel Brendl II on our hands :(
Just because their names are relatively similar doesn't mean they will turn out the same.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
It will be Pouliot, Brule or Latendresse.

Pouliot should be gone, Brule could possibly be gone and if so, then the Habs will pick Latendresse!

You heard it here first!!

KH1

HabLover said:
It will be Pouliot, Brule or Latendresse.

Pouliot should be gone, Brule could possibly be gone and if so, then the Habs will pick Latendresse!

You heard it here first!!
I love Latendresse but I think that he is too big a risk to go #5. Some scouts don't even consider him a first rounder!

I think that it will be Ryan, because I'm not entirely convinced that Brule will be there for them.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I love Latendresse but I think that he is too big a risk to go #5. Some scouts don't even consider him a first rounder!

I think that it will be Ryan, because I'm not entirely convinced that Brule will be there for them.

Ryan can't skate, they don't want that!

Latendresse could be a LeClair!

turnbuckle*

If you're worried about skating Hablover, why in God's name would you want Latendresse? Guillaume's skating makes Ryan's skating look like Pavel Bure's.

The "Ryan can't skate" momentum is building, don't get swept up in it. If anyone is the next Leclair from this draft, it is Ryan. If anyone is the next Terry Ryan in this draft, it is Latendresse.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
turnbuckle said:
If you're worried about skating Hablover, why in God's name would you want Latendresse? Guillaume's skating makes Ryan's skating look like Pavel Bure's.

The "Ryan can't skate" momentum is building, don't get swept up in it. If anyone is the next Leclair from this draft, it is Ryan. If anyone is the next Terry Ryan in this draft, it is Latendresse.
I like all the players mentioned... Terry Ryan, Guillaume Latendresse, and Bobby Ryan. But I think they are all quite different, despite being lumped in together as "powerforwards who can't skate".

Bobby Ryan is the best of the lot, hands down, in the skating department. If your argument is that the Habs won't want a player who doesn't skate well, then you are wrong to think they'll take Latendresse for that reason above Ryan. Ryan's skating is actually pretty adequate. He doesn't do a lot of it, though, because he is generally found deep in the attacking zone, usually within a 20-ft radius of the net, carrying two opposing checkers on his back. Ryan is defintely stronger and more balanced on his skates than Latendresse. Neither player goes flat out much, but I would imagine Ryan would win in that category too. (Does anybody have the prospects game timing results, btw?).

Ryan also has the ability to be more of a point generator than Latendresse, IMHO. They both have decent puck skills for big guys, but I think Ryan has a bit more of an eye for digging the puck out and tying up or distracting defenders to try to help break his linemates free for scoring chances. My impression of Latendresse is that when he's on his game, he can be a wrecking ball and that scoring chances can materialise out of that chaos he generates, but that he doesn't always have quite the creativity and pure offensive hockey sense that Ryan does.

However, the problem I have with Ryan, if any, is that he's just not naturally mean. That's where the Leclair comparisons really come in best. Leclair was such a huge guy, and he showed a few times early in his career in Montreal how he could throw some absolutely devastating checks along the boards. But the bottom line was that Leclair just had no killer instinct physically, and he never wanted to hurt anybody. He settled down into a pretty much totally non-aggressive player. I can see Ryan being similar. You'll always wish he wanted to use his size more aggressively, whereas he seems to be content to just use it to help generate scoring chances.

Latendresse, by contrast, at least sometimes wants to kill somebody. He can get mean and nasty at times. (Although he can also relax a bit and let that part of his game slide; at least he did in the WU18).

All of this contrasts again to Terry Ryan... a worse skater than either of them, but more hyper-aggressive and intense than either of them too.

I get slammed on the Habs board for not liking Latendresse, although I know turnbuckle here has slammed me in the past for being too high on Latendresse too. So I guess I can't win. But regardless of that, I have little doubt that Bobby Ryan is a more talented hockey player with better offensive upside, and is also a safer bet to be an NHL player than Latendresse. I don't think Ryan's skating will hinder him as a pro. Meanwhile, I like Latendresse's aggressiveness more, but he doesn't have the creativity to have the same offensive upside as Ryan, and there is also a chance that if he doesn't improve his skating, it could limit him as a pro.

If we were picking in the vicinity of #12-20, I'd be really excited talking about Latendresse for the Habs. But I just can't see him as a legitimate #5 pick, compared to the players around him. :dunno:

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
kopitar even though some scouts question him because slovenia did not produce hockey players. Maybe he is the best after crosby and pouliot

boby

Oct 3, 2004
On radio Montréal last night,Danny Dubé (hockey analist) want say ALEX BOURRET for Montréal Canadien is a good option,talent and dynamite on ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->