The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I am will to bet that 99.999 % of bans are due to the poster and not the mod.

I wouldn't say that high of a number, BUT in his case, it wasn't any different.

And DHF is right about Panarin being the better player. Not sure why that is up for debate. Saad is a better team fit.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Panarin has been sheltered from the day he entered the league. He had 80%(!!!) Ozone starts last season, among the highest in the league. Saad faces tougher competition and harder starts and still puts up more goals 5v5, with great possession numbers.

Panarin is probably a better raw shooter, but he's a luxury a team can afford when they have Marian Hossa. When you lose Hossa, you're better off with Hossa Lite than you are icing both Kane and Kane Lite on the same ice.

Reactions: Rooh

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Panarin has been sheltered from the day he entered the league. He had 80%(!!!) Ozone starts last season, among the highest in the league. Saad faces tougher competition and harder starts and still puts up more goals 5v5, with great possession numbers.

Panarin is probably a better raw shooter, but he's a luxury a team can afford when they have Marian Hossa. When you lose Hossa, you're better off with Hossa Lite than you are icing both Kane and Kane Lite on the same ice.

i agree. it was even, by Q actions of not separating them, that he Q allow their defensive lapses. he indulge the 2nd line for their scoring prowess that was needed, then to find a well rounded team.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He had a rough start to the game, but Darling settled in and won his first start as a Carolina Hurricane.

The Hurricanes, for the record, demolished the Wild in possession, shots and chances. If they can keep that up and Darling gives them league-average or better in nets, they'll end their playoff drought.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He had a rough start to the game, but Darling settled in and won his first start as a Carolina Hurricane.

The Hurricanes, for the record, demolished the Wild in possession, shots and chances. If they can keep that up and Darling gives them league-average or better in nets, they'll end their playoff drought.

Just watching the Carolina game on PVR now: By "rough" you mean Darling was beaten by a deflection on a PP in which he had no chance and was beaten by 2 clear cut breakaways. Canes supposed great defensemen need to tighten up. Wild have had 4 breakaways and the second period isn't over yet. TT looks pretty good.

Reactions: Blackhawks

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Just watching the Carolina game on PVR now: By "rough" you mean Darling was beaten by a deflection on a PP in which he had no chance and was beaten by 2 clear cut breakaways. Canes supposed great defensemen need to tighten up. Wild have had 4 breakaways and the second period isn't over yet. TT looks pretty good.
Quit watching the game and please just rely on the stats. ;)

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

The PP goal wasn't on him.

Stewart's goal was not a goal that should have been allowed, and Darling did himself no favors with the attempt a bad poke check, but it also demonstrated what has always been the biggest problem with Darling, you get him moving side-to-side, you create biiiiig holes to shoot through. Big enough even for Chris ****ing Stewart to backhand through. I suspect that will be a bigger and bigger theme through the season as more teams start looking at tape of him playing more games, he'll have to adapt in kind and tighten that up.

Staal's goal just went right through him. Darling was in position, Staal didn't deke him, he didn't pick a corner, Darling's reaction was delayed and he shot the puck straight through him. Darling knew he should have had it too, his reaction immediately after demonstrated as much.

The CAR defense had allowed all of 14 shots by that point and were controlling the game. Not to devolve into cliche, but 'they could have used a big save'.

He settled in and the team battled back. They got the 2points. I have little doubt Darling will turn out at least a league average performance this season, which is really all CAR needs.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The "fire poker'" check, when it works is usually spectacular but when it doesn't it makes the goalie look bad.... but neither of the breakaway goals were of the soft variety.... no matter how you try and spin it.

You expect goalies to stop breakaways, fine. The bottom line is they shouldn't happen in the first place.

Reactions: Blackhawks

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The "fire poker'" check, when it works is usually spectacular but when it doesn't it makes the goalie look bad.... but neither of the breakaway goals were of the soft variety.... no matter how you try and spin it.

You expect goalies to stop breakaways, fine. The bottom line is they shouldn't happen in the first place.

I don't think goalies should stop every breakaway. To my eye, both of those were stoppable, but decisison making and reaction time weren't there. As the game went on, he looked more comfortable to me, in both.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Because Wild have only had x number of shots on goal, must mean that Hurricane’s are in control of the game. This is simply not the case. Final shots were 42 – 27 in fact. Of those 27 total shots on Darling, many were from close range and 5 of them were one-on- one with the goaltender. Carolina, meanwhile had more shots but with less quality – and without a single breakaway in the game. And Darling won it in the SO. A perfect example of throwing the goaltender stats in the garbage for this game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Darling was fine in the game. Not his best game but he was good enough to win. The Hurricane have a lot of potential but the did not seem fast but the Wild clog things up witch impacts everything.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Darling is gone and people here are still on his case, where does this hate stem from? Just because he is better than your idol Crawford you don't have to keep making an argument. He made an incredible save post to post, the kind of save that Crawford can never make. Once Crawford is set in position, the puck either hits him or it's going in...

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Darling was fine in the game. Not his best game but he was good enough to win. The Hurricane have a lot of potential but the did not seem fast but the Wild clog things up witch impacts everything.
Yeah Wild can make many at team look bad. The boring label still applies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Darling is gone and people here are still on his case, where does this hate stem from? Just because he is better than your idol Crawford you don't have to keep making an argument. He made an incredible save post to post, the kind of save that Crawford can never make. Once Crawford is set in position, the puck either hits him or it's going in...

Some of the Darling breakdown is off for sure but in saying that your take on once Crawford is set is just completely wrong.

Darling has much better lateral movement than Crawford but Crawford is more technically sound.

Darling should turn out to be a top 10 goalie this year if he can handle the workload.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
ECHL? Time to call it a career Morin. Maybe you can make it as a coach or in upper management, but your playing days are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad