Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - What a Difference a Bai Makes (#6)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
While Jack didn't point last night he looked like the leader/captain, was 50% at the dot too which is great for him. Reinhart progressing, puck is on his stick more. Bailey should be on this team, the speed alone should have him here permanently, reading Bill Hoppe's conversation with him he's accepted that he may be a 3rd or 4th liner at the NHL level and hitting has to become a regular feature of his game.

I think a 3rd line of Kane Larsson/Rodrigues Bailey would work if given time.

Girgensons - Eichel - Pominville
O'Reilly <-> Reinhart - Okposo
Kane - Larsson - Bailey

I checked out the Ducks GDT thread, this site kills me, fans are merciless on their teams/players. The Ducks had a great playoffs, they're missing Getzlaf, Kesler, Eaves, Lindholm, Vatanen - the posters on their forum are spoiled and irrational. Surprised how much dislike there is for Nick Ritchie, a player I've liked since junior, they say he's gotten soft and have given up on him becoming a top power forward.

How... how do we get those lines a reality???

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Not sure why they took the goal away from Reinhart, the puck literally went right off his stick.

Attachments

• Reinhart.JPG
    Reinhart.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 66

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not sure why they took the goal away from Reinhart, the puck literally went right off his stick.
That proves nothing, I hit the skate for sure, not sure if Sam got his stick on that but it doesnt matter that much. His hustle cleqrly helped the goal even if he didnt touch the puck. Good performance, he needs to do what he did yesterday on consistent basis and no one would ever complain about him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That proves nothing, I hit the skate for sure, not sure if Sam got his stick on that but it doesnt matter that much. His hustle cleqrly helped the goal even if he didnt touch the puck. Good performance, he needs to do what he did yesterday on consistent basis and no one would ever complain about him.

I bet I know one person that would.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

The video showing the puck going off his stick proves nothing?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Hm maybe its the embed as I only see a picture as Im on mobile. I tried to look at the replays yesterday and couldnt figure out who did it and frankly it doesnt matter much.

The reply just has a still, but the video on the NHL site pretty clearly shows it going off his stick. Either way, it makes zero sense to take the goal away. Had it been called Pouliot's goal from the start and they decided not to give it to Sam after reviewing, that's fine, but giving it to Sam and then taking it away based on the video makes no sense at all.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The reply just has a still, but the video on the NHL site pretty clearly shows it going off his stick. Either way, it makes zero sense to take the goal away. Had it been called Pouliot's goal from the start and they decided not to give it to Sam after reviewing, that's fine, but giving it to Sam and then taking it away based on the video makes no sense at all.

So, I just watched it a bunch, and one thing is suddenly certain to me, and that is, the angle that the puck takes indicates that it goes off of the Ducks' D's shin. Whether or not Sam got a piece just before that is hard to tell. It looks like he may have whiffed on it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
G:
-A win!! At long last!
-Non-Eichel lines scored
-Eichel stepped up big-time defensively and physically in that game (really strong on his stick, forceful about stripping pucks)
-Ochocinco

B:
-ROR was better last night than he has been in other games, but boy is he off his game right now

U:
-Can we just start declining penalties? We've already allowed about a full season's worth of SH goals. Turrible.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Maybe... the problem is with those who are unable to see such plays when they don't result in goals.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I really hope Housley shows Jack the tape and tells him: "See that, See what you're doing there with the two-way play and the effort in the defensive zone? Keep Doing that"

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I really hope Housley shows Jack the tape and tells him: "See that, See what you're doing there with the two-way play and the effort in the defensive zone? Keep Doing that"
I hope he does keep doing that, but i think he'll still have a lot of games where he floats instead of back checking. It'll be even more maddening now because we have all seen proof that he is capable of great two way play

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No one here is rooting against the team. Its just different people are disappointed with different players if they are underperforming and we are bottom 10 twam for so many years.

No, but there are people that have their own personal whipping boys.

Reinhart playing like he did last night 70+ times a year is unlikely to silence all of the people that dislike that pick.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No, but there are people that have their own personal whipping boys.

Reinhart playing like he did last night 70+ times a year is unlikely to silence all of the people that dislike that pick.
If Sam plays like that 70 times an year we can make the playoffs and no one would say a word. Same goes for Eichel who has his own critics and doesnt show up properly for more than 60% of the games till now.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I hope he does keep doing that, but i think he'll still have a lot of games where he floats instead of back checking. It'll be even more maddening now because we have all seen proof that he is capable of great two way play

Well, we never saw it under 2 years of Bylsma's defense first system, but we've gotten it in 6 games under Houlsey. Going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe Housley has figured out how to get to Jack's ear.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Buttons85

RJ & Rayzor Fan Club
Jan 31, 2013
Austin, TX
G:
A win!
Eichel dominating everywhere
Chad stabilizing the goal (if he doesn't get the start in Vegas, Phil needs his head checked)
Bailey looking better than 80% of the team in his first game
Improved defending
Production from non-Eichel lines

B:
ROR and McCabe continue to have major difficulties
Moulson being on the ice

U:
Yet another SHG
Kane's penalties
Playing it a little too close with Anaheim's AHL squad

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
^^
Girgensons - Eichel - Pominville
Bailey / Pouliot - ROR - Reinhart
Kane - Larsson - Okposo
Moulson / Griffith - Josefsson - Nolan

Another benefit from this setup is 3 of the 4 lines have another center on the wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Maybe... the problem is with those who are unable to see such plays when they don't result in goals.
That type of play consistently leads to goals.

The defense of Sam is patience at this point. He has a lot to learn, but you can already see huge improvements in his game this season. I do take issue with posters over-stating hist mediocre play, or insisting center is the only solution for him while they fail to see the value of him moving around while he learns the pro game.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

effort =/= results, if you wanna be a big dog then you need to score more than once every 5 games

different standard than a bottom 6 player, but asking Sam to back up the stats that don't go on the scoreboard with some that do isn't an outrageous expectation

same with Jack's great performance, this game's all round play needs to eventually be paired with his production level

team is in desperate need for some game changers to step up and pair good play with some reliable finish

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Pretty sure Jack has had defensive games just like last night, people just forget because they're few and far between. If it becomes his normal play that would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad